Wellcraft Coastal 2800

Diesel Jerry

Admiral
Lite User

shiook

Lieutenant
Boat Make
BHM 32, JD 6068T
I've got one on my boat. It's a 1996 and still strong with yearly greasing of U-joints and lube change. PM if you'd like more info.

IfishHard718

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
38' Duffy -650 hp Mack e7
I like the system. It provides a nice smooth ride. My only complaint is I have emailed the rep at soundown and haven’t heard any response. To give the benefit of the doubt there is a chance his email went to my spam folder because that often happens.
Hey Jerry!
I have An evolution drive in my boat. Sam at Soundowns direct number is best. He's a great guy and helped me out a lot. 978 745-7000 Ext 130

BKay

Lieutenant
I had one on my last boat. I agree that its pretty robust and was trouble free. I don't think the benefit was worth the cost - so I wouldn't put one in a boat in the future. But if the boat already has one and it's been maintained, then I wouldn't be concerned about the boat. I just wouldn't pay extra for it.

IfishHard718

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
looking at a boat with an evolution drive and was just looking for some opinions on it. I have to say this is the first one I've seen hands on and its pretty beefy! Seems like a nice set up but I assume more maintenance/failure points vs a straight shaft with PSS or packing. It appears to have an oil bath and I'm assuming the shaft tube is sealed at the bottom of the keel- is the shaft tube full of oil?..

Any thought are appreciated!
I have one in my boat. Purchased the boat last year. Put about 500 hours on it in 14 months. The evolution system is smooth and simple to maintain. Drain the oil once a year and grease the u joints from what I understand.
looking at a boat with an evolution drive and was just looking for some opinions on it. I have to say this is the first one I've seen hands on and its pretty beefy! Seems like a nice set up but I assume more maintenance/failure points vs a straight shaft with PSS or packing. It appears to have an oil bath and I'm assuming the shaft tube is sealed at the bottom of the keel- is the shaft tube full of oil?..

Any thought are appreciated!

Aside changing the oil and greasing u joints in the winter haven't had any issues. I bought my 38 Duffy last year in June and it had the evolution drive. I have put 500 hours on the boat since purchase and have no complaints

IfishHard718

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Is it a lot quieter / less vibration than a traditional setup?
I cannot attest to the sound being quieter as I don't know what the boat sounded like prior to the Evolution system install but the vibration is less than your average downeast hull propped correctly.

Top Bottom