exhaust flap

coddock

Commander
So I noticed today after returning from a day offshore that my exhaust flap was gone. I notice that some boats don't have them. The type I had was a flange with a hinged flap;not the clamp on style.

My questions are...1.is it absolutely necessary to have one?
2.Can I install a simply rubber flap,screwed to the transom
above the exhaust outlet?

It appears to be a fairly difficult job to replace the flanged outlet,not to speak of the haul out.

captchuck

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
26' Seaway
I know that on both my boat and my fathers one gas the other diesel we do not have them.

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
no you don't have to have one, some people like them (dont ask me why)
most replacement ones go on with a hose clamp, no screwing needed. it could be put on while in the row boat, no haul out that way

Stinkpot

Commander
Boat Make
36' Calvin Beal
Probably don't need one as long as you have adequate slope of your exhaust from the engine to the transom. Having a surge tube in your exhaust should also exclude the need for the flap.

If you tend to fish areas like The Race and your transom gets slapped with three footers while drifting into the rip, it'd be a good idea to put one back on.

Stinkpot

Bulman711

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
31 JC
I know that I need one in my JC. If I dont have it and take water in the exhaust it stalls the engine out... Something to make sure of before going without.

With that being said if you just noticed, and have not been having a problem then you probably do not need one.

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
lots of the jet rigs up here use a piece of car or truck inner tube hose clamped over the exhaust. They tend to take a big glup of water up the exhaust when they run aground doing 25/30 knots, as the saying goes " if you can see the seagulls legs your in deep shit, as long as their floating your good to go".
614_BP_0197_1_touched.jpg

coddock

Commander
Update...First and foremost...Thank you all for the intel.Very informative and knowledgeable people here!

So,as stated here,the jury is out as to whether or not I need the flap.It seems to depend on the specific build;engine height/exhaust outlet height ratio,etc. I am thinking it won't hurt,good insurance.

Secondly,the part is made by Centex. It is a two part piece.Internal piece with flange fastened to transom,and external extension piece with hinged flap.
Now the surprise...The external piece is actually glued (5200) to the flange.

So....I guess a haul out to dry out fitting and allow 5200 to cure.

Does anybody have any crazy ideas to get the transom up 6" or so to allow me to do the repair without the haul out???

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
Update...First and foremost...Thank you all for the intel.Very informative and knowledgeable people here!

So,as stated here,the jury is out as to whether or not I need the flap.It seems to depend on the specific build;engine height/exhaust outlet height ratio,etc. I am thinking it won't hurt,good insurance.

Secondly,the part is made by Centex. It is a two part piece.Internal piece with flange fastened to transom,and external extension piece with hinged flap.
Now the surprise...The external piece is actually glued (5200) to the flange.

So....I guess a haul out to dry out fitting and allow 5200 to cure.

Does anybody have any crazy ideas to get the transom up 6" or so to allow me to do the repair without the haul out???

couldn't you back up to a floating dock and install a flapper with a hose clamp?

coddock

Commander
couldn't you back up to a floating dock and install a flapper with a hose clamp?

I wish it was that simple ! The set up I have has a flange mounted to the transom.The flange is for all intent and purposes flush with transom with no protrusion to clamp to.The repair part is the extension and flapper.

I an docked @ a slip,but the exhaust is half,give or take,in the water. I have to get it out of the water to dry,clean,and install new part. Looks like a short haul is the only game in town !

JimRP31

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Willis Beal/RP 31
I wish it was that simple ! The set up I have has a flange mounted to the transom.The flange is for all intent and purposes flush with transom with no protrusion to clamp to.The repair part is the extension and flapper.

I an docked @ a slip,but the exhaust is half,give or take,in the water. I have to get it out of the water to dry,clean,and install new part. Looks like a short haul is the only game in town !

First, How big is the you boat? I think with anything 30' less you could just pile as much of your moveable weight forward until the transom is out of the water. Anchor, fishing gear, beer buddies, anything to get the stern out.

coddock

Commander
First, How big is the you boat? I think with anything 30' less you could just pile as much of your moveable weight forward until the transom is out of the water. Anchor, fishing gear, beer buddies, anything to get the stern out.

28 foot...I think ??? it would take some serious weight to get the transom up. Beer buddies??? for the few hours,I need for 5200 to cure;the way my buddies drink beer...oh boy,much cheaper for a short haul !!!

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
get some of that 2 part epoxy that cures under water. we used to use splash zone i think its made by pettit.
6766.jpg

coddock

Commander
Steve,great idea ! I will look that stuff up. I would imagine it is "A" o'k for fiberglass ?

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
Steve,great idea ! I will look that stuff up. I would imagine it is "A" o'k for fiberglass ?

I used it on my bowpicker to fair net hanging rough spots and to fill gouges that my anchor dug into my bow. You mix/kneed 2 equal parts in a bucket of water and then just spread it on and smooth/fair it out with a vinyl glove dipped in water. They used to patch holes and cracks in boats that had whacked rocks.

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
28 foot...I think ??? it would take some serious weight to get the transom up. Beer buddies??? for the few hours,I need for 5200 to cure;the way my buddies drink beer...oh boy,much cheaper for a short haul !!!

Maybe best just to haul it and "do it right" by replacing the flange.
Shortcuts always seem to comeback and haunt ya!

FWIW,

Bill D

coddock

Commander
Maybe best just to haul it and "do it right" by replacing the flange.
Shortcuts always seem to comeback and haunt ya!

FWIW,

Bill D

Ya,I hear ya! I am leaning just that way.The only short cut I am presently pondering is fastening a rubber flap on the transom,over the exhaust. That would at least save me the haul out till I had her on stands in the fall. Any opinions on that?

hntrss

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31 Duffy
I got the exhaust of a 42 Torres out of the water with a couple of 55 gal drums of water on the bow. I did an in water muffler replacement. No issues whatsoever. It can be done.

Top Bottom