Exhaust insulation needed.

jwalka51

Captain
Boat Make
26' Webber Cove lobster boat.
Hello guys. I am in need of some insulation for the new riser I made. Posted in My thread Absolutly Exhausted. I am looking for the cheap way out. I would like something like a soft mineral wool that I can put on myself and then just wrap with fiberglass tape to keep it there and protect it. Doesnt need to be pretty, just efficient and fire proof.

I would also entertain a fabricated blanket/ wrap, but I know that they are expensive. I am a pipefitter by trade and work with insulators all the time so I know how much work goes into making it look good.

Any leads will be appreciated.

Brooksie

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bruno-Stillman 35
I have used the regular exhaust wrap with good results but an "air gap" helps a lot. Expanded metal or hardware cloth or something to hold the wrap off the metal. Then you are not dealing with conduction so much as radiation.

Last edited:

sams

Lieutenant
Your riser does a very good job of taking advantage of a tight space, but that means it doesn't have much space around it. Use an appropriate temp mat or ceramic fiber and don't get into a situation where you have a fire.

Sam

jwalka51

Captain
Boat Make
I was thinking of using 1" mineral wool wrapped with fiberglass tape and wire to hold it all together.

Do you guys make exhaust blankets???? Could you PM me a rough estimate for a custom wrap

sams

Lieutenant
1" mineral is probably not going to give you the type of protection ou need. I do not remember the upper temp limit for MW, but you will be riding the upper edge.

I'll see what I have for small quantities of materials in the morning.

Sam

GLA

Commander
I use kaowool here at the shop to insulate and slowly cool very hot things
1" thick you can run a torch on one side and put your hand on the other. I would think a layer of that then wrapped with woven fiberglass would be fine for any exhaust. you can buy the ceramic kaowool online by the case. and you can buy the strips of fiberglass finished with sealed edges at mcmaster

traditions

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 Holland
I have used kaowool many times, wrapped with fiberglass exhaust wrap.I have also coated the entire mess with silicone to keep the dust from the wrap contained.It smokes for a while until it cures.Silicone will crystalize at 900 degrees,so it may be to close to the turbo for that,although I haven't seen it happen

Last edited:

jwalka51

Captain
Boat Make
Anchor insulation in pawtucket is making me a custom wrap for $250-$300. Way less than what I had expected. But thanks for all of the great input guys.

jwalka51

Captain
Boat Make
I really do think that that is either sarcasm or a very retarded Idea. Either way, doesnt matter. I have an insulation shop putting a blanket together for me. The price is much less than what I was expecting so im just gonna get it done.

Cfood

Lieutenant
I'm looking for a wrap manufacturer for a 38 H and H with a JD 6125 if you don't mind sharing the info.

jwalka51

Captain
Boat Make
Anchor insulation in pawtucket RI did mine. Very cheap/ The cheapest way is to get the exhaust to them. The next cheapest way is to send them a detailed isometric drawing of your piping system. If you do either one of these it takes a lot of time out of the process for them. The third way is to have them come to your boat and measure the system themselves. I would imagine that this must be very expensive.

For example, the guy told me that if they had to come to my boat and do the measures and then go back to the shop and build it I was looking at around $500. But I unbolted it and dropped it off to them and bnow the price is around $250

sams

Lieutenant
Anchor Insulation does a good job as does Infab Refractories in Lewiston, ME. Their number is (207)786-0004.

sam

Blitzen

Admiral
Boat Make
Flowers Boat Works 46 hull #1, Flowers Boat Works 36 hull #1, Wayne Beal 28 Hull #1, Repco 30 1968,
Anchor insulation in pawtucket RI did mine. Very cheap/ The cheapest way is to get the exhaust to them. The next cheapest way is to send them a detailed isometric drawing of your piping system. If you do either one of these it takes a lot of time out of the process for them. The third way is to have them come to your boat and measure the system themselves. I would imagine that this must be very expensive.

For example, the guy told me that if they had to come to my boat and do the measures and then go back to the shop and build it I was looking at around $500. But I unbolted it and dropped it off to them and bnow the price is around $250

Did they say how long it will take to get it wrapped? I need to get one done.
Thanks

sams

Lieutenant
Anchor Insulation does a good job as does Infab Refractories in Lewiston, ME. Their number is (207)786-0004.

sam

Jean Bergeron

Ensign
Exhaust Wraps

Next time, try Infab in Lewiston, ME. 207-786-0004 A simple riser blanket for a dry ell would run between $80 and $100.

Roy-c

Commander
Exhaust blanket

Rosie's Marine in Gloucester. They have a blanket material that you wrap the exhaust with, wrap over with a fiberglass tape and then coat with a heavy bodied liquid that dries hard. Cheap and easy

jwalka51

Captain
Boat Make
the problem with what you are talking about is that You cant easily remove it.

I paid $250 for the one that I had made and it is completely removable, it is a high quality marine exhaust blanket.

Top Bottom