f/v Banshee, 1996 31' BHM Turnkey and Ready to Fish

Ripcat

Commander
Posting for a good friend and doing so with a very heavy heart. I went to tuna school on Banshee and have landed more tuna on her then on my own boat. Like any 31 BHM, she's a beast. We did a 5 day trip on her to Platts through some of the nastiest weather i've ever fished through and she kept us safe. Anyway, she's up for sale and is absolutely turnkey...literally jump on her day one and you're ready to fish. The details from my buddy and his contact info is below. I'd be more then happy to answer the questions i can.

32’ BHM Downeast Charter/Tuna & family vessel is turnkey and ready for offshore Tuna &
Charter fishing or if you are looking to just cruise the coast. She is equipped with a Cummins
250BHA w/ 7K hours and cruises at 14kts. She has been meticulously maintained and updated
and includes all the amenities for offshore fishing, up to date safety equipment, 32’ slip at
Port Harbor Marine for the 2020 season, plus much much more. $110,000
Call or email for a complete list of details: John Harmon @ (207)415-0957
[email protected]

BOAT DETAILS
 Hull/Make: BHM
 Hull Style: Downeast / Lobster
 Year: 1996
 Length: 31’9”
 Beam: 11’.9”
 Motor: Cummins BHA -250hp
 Fuel Type: Diesel
 Fuel Capacity: Dual 75 Gal tanks = 150gals
 Cruising Speed: 14kts
 Hull Material: Solid Glass
 Builder: Atlantic Boat Company, Brookline, Maine
Navigational Equipment
- Garmin GPS4212: Chartplotter, w/spit screen options for Chartplotter/Depth & Fish Finder & Radar
- Garmin Radar: HD18
- Airmar SS270W Transducer: Dual 50 & 200KHz
- Furuno – GP-32 - GPS/WAAS
- Simrad – Ap28 Autopilot
- (2)ICOM GPS VHF Radios
- Compass (Ritchie)flush mounted
- Wheel house LED lighting (12 Volt)
- Dual AFI Window Wipers (12 Volt)
Safety Equipment
- 6 Man Solaris Lift raft (inspected April 2020)
- ACR EPIRB: Model (RLB-38) w/hydro release(new battery May 2020)
-Survival Suits (6)
- 0-50mile Flare Kit (exp.4/2023)
- (3) Hand Held Fire Extinguishers
- Searchlight (12 V)
Mechanical
- Cummins BHA -250hp w/7K hrs
- Dual steering stations: Wheel house controls & Rear tiller Steering w/throttle controls
- Transmission: Twin Disc 506
- Heat Exchanger (serviced 2014)
- Fuel Tanks (two 75gal)=150 gal capacity
- Saltwater Wash Down
- Dual Rule Bilge Pumps w/high water alarm & dual auto switches
- Engine Alarms (high temp & high temp exhaust)
- Waste Holding Tank
- Exhaust System (Wet thru stern)
- Throttle Controls (Kobelt/w/33 Series X-treme cables (26’ & 18’)
- Raw Water Sea Strainers
- Stern Bearing: Cutlass Bearing
- Propeller: H&H 28LH25
- Shaft: Stainless Steel 1.75'
- Port & Stab Rail Fuel Fills w/exterior vents & thru deck access
-Racor Water Separator
- Forward Bulk Head(Plywood/fiberglass reinforced overlay)
- Stuffing Box: wet
Electrical Systems
- 120v AC Outlets (shore power & generator ready)
- 12 V DC Outlets
- GFI Outlets
- LED Navigational Lighting
- Wheel house LED lighting (12 Volt)
- V Berth & Head LED Lighting (12 Volt)
- Dual Battery Bank w/switch (2-Exide Nautilus Deep Cycle (Updated Aug.2019)
- Isolated starting Battery w/switch (Updated Aug.2019)
- Battery Charger
- Fuse Panel
- LED Deck Lighting (12 V)
(2)12” LED Port/Starboard Mast Lights
(2)24” LED Bow/Stern Mast Lights

- (2)High Sodium lighting (110V)
- (2)Stern mounted Abyss LED under water lights (blue)
Accommodations & Finishes
- Windows (2 sliders windows)(Diamond Sea Glaze)installed 2012
- Full Canvas Winter back
- Full Canvas isin glass curtains w/door
-Jacob Saltwater head system
- Built in storage shelves
- Storage (Forward Storage under Bench/stern gear locker/bow under vberth storage)
- Hanging Locker
- Microwave
- Kenwood Stereo System w/MP3 jack, 500wMarine Amp w/hard mounted pollk speakers
- (2 )Flat screen TV’s Cable ready w/built in DVD players and hard wired mast mounted TV Antenna
- (4)Port Holes & Vberth hatch(installed 2013)
- (2) Forward Mounted Helm Chairs
- (2)Wheel house cushioned benches seats 6 comfortably
Fishing & Deck Gear
-Swinging Gin pole
-55 Gallon – Kodiak Live Well
-(11)Lee swivel rod holders
-(2) Lee Stationary rod holder
-8 Rod stainless rocket launcher
-4 (130class)Lee wheel house road hangers
-12 slot rod holder storage in Vberth
-10 slot hanging rod system
-Lee outriggers
- Stainless Bow Rail system
- Saltwater Washdown
- Rear tiller Steering & throttle controls
- Tackle Storage – 3 under seat compartments
- Rub Rails
-Under Rub Rails storage hangers
- Bow splash rails
- Ventilation (Forward Trunk Cabin Hatch, & 4 flip port style windows)
- Deck Hatches (4)Glass Flush mounted
-Forward Anchor locker
1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg 10.jpg

Ms.Aimee

Captain
Fishy boat. Watched that boat catch many fish I think the last time I saw her was out to Platts

Old Mud

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Don
Boat Make
Ho Made

Ripcat

Commander
Boy oh Boy. John's boat is top notch. I to have fished Banshee many times. That boat has everything you need to go fishing. As noted she's a BHM not a 20 KT boat But she will get you back in Anything. What a great rig, we have had some meat over those rails !!
I was wondering what you'd say when you saw her for sale Mud...but yes...John's a top notch guy and Banshee is a top notch boat! I should also add...she's a two owner boat. Ron McVicker had her built and Harm purchased her from Ron.

Old Mud

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Don
Boat Make
Ho Made

Tuna Hotline

Commander
Saw her a few weeks ago while picking up another DEB. Absolutely stunning. Always loved these 32 BHMs

Hooper

Captain
The original owner was Ronnie McVickar who was a charter fisherman in Chatham since before I was born. There has never been a nicer, kinder, more gentlemanly soul than Ronnie.

I was a mate on a boat in Harwich during high school in the 1980’s and Ronnie was a close friend of my skipper. In those years, Ronnie generally fished without a mate. He was impressive to watch work a rip line, at the tiller and bailing fish, working the rods. No movement was wasted.

Every now and then we’d see him drift back into the rip and disappear for a few minutes only to return to the rip line with a big smile and holding his hands four feet apart to let us know he’d just nailed a nice bass.

Every now and again, couple days each summer, he’d call my skipper on the phone and ask if I could come help him out and I always jumped at the chance.

He was like a father/grandfather figure, he always had something interesting to say or a joke to tell or some other tidbit of info to share about boats, bass fishing, rips, local history or almost anything really.

He knew the Monomoy rips like I know my back yard. Better I believe. He knew every corner, every edge. He had a tremendous client list. Many extremely wealthy clients fished with him for decades.

Blue collar as they come but he was equally at home in the company of Chatham’s wealthy summer residents. Most of them would have called Ronnie a personal friend I’m sure.

I remember the morning I got the local paper and saw a front page photo of his original BHM and it was smashed all to hell. He’d been involved in a horrific boat accident that killed one of his customers and another was seriously injured (lost a leg I believe). I think that was 1996 maybe?

In heavy Chatham fog he was fishing a rip which he did every day for six months a year. Well, a big sporty, Hatteras I believe, came outta the fog running at cruise speed, nobody on watch and slammed right into them.

From what he told me it went right over the cockpit. Ronnie was devastated naturally. Amazed more didn’t get killed.

I was saddened when I read in the papers that he had passed on years ago. He was a really fine man.

I wish like hell I was in a position to buy his old boat and bring her home to Cape Cod. Banshee has the soul of a damn good man at her core.

Last edited:

BHenchy

Lieutenant
I remember watching the old Banshee down in the rips all the time, and I remember that accident. As I recall, he had a wedding party on board--the groom lost his leg and the father of the groom was killed. Steaming hard in fog. Awful thing.

Contango

Lieutenant
She was right down the dock from the Duffy I bought and I walked past her many times. Great looking boat in the "flesh" as well as the pics....which is not always the case in a DEB.

Frank Grimes

Rear Admiral
First Name
John
I think the accident was ‘95. The Hatt steamed right up and over the Banshee’s transom. I watched them tow the wreckage in to Saquatucket after refloating her. Then the next year this boat, the current Banshee, came into my harbor with just Ron at the wheel, he was probably shaking her down. It was like a phoenix rising from the ashes.

boat was definitely built for charter fishing with some nice basic comforts. Sounds like it has stayed on mission over the years, hopefully ends up in a good slip

ripta13

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
1996 31 BHM
That’s a great layout for commercial and charter fishing. I have 1996 31 also and it was the last one to come out of Flye Point. Does anyone know if this was the first to come out of Atlantic?
Swinging gin pole is a great idea. Any pics of it up? You got me thinking now.

Beauty of a boat. Someones dreams are about to come true.

Last edited:
Top Bottom