F/V from Mass.

yanmar

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
26 chesepeake 22 tripp
Noticed some boats from Mass. coming into Barnagat Inlet here in Jersey and a friend of mine was telling me that because of herring regs in New England they are here for (Menhaden , Bunker ) bait . I was just curious how far the bunker run up the coast if boats are down here in New Jersey or do they need bait now and not later ?

Pedlyr

Captain
If they are herring boats.....many times the wicked "Pair Trawlers".....they are probably loading up shoreside with Pogies and returning with the bait. They will then be sold. Cheaper than trucks.

They could also be scallopers. Most scallopers don't have a lot of deck machinery like a crane or net drum.

They may even be Freezer Trawlers looking for Ilex squid. But that run is usually later in the summer.

lobstercatcher

Rear Admiral
Noticed some boats from Mass. coming into Barnagat Inlet here in Jersey and a friend of mine was telling me that because of herring regs in New England they are here for (Menhaden , Bunker ) bait . I was just curious how far the bunker run up the coast if boats are down here in New Jersey or do they need bait now and not later ?

Bunker run all the way up into Maine. They have been so concentrated in coves that they use up all the oxigen in the water and die leaving massive amounts of deads on the beach. Somewhere around Rhode Island the name bunker starts to turn into the word pogie. I'm pretty sure everyone in Ma, Nh, and Me call them pogies. You got some?

yanmar

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
26 chesepeake 22 tripp
The bunker has been pretty thick for about a week now with good size bass following . I've already heard of a lot of 50 pound class fish being caught but i am still searching for my first 50 . I refuse to troll for striped bass so i 've been waiting patiently for the bunker to show in #'s to snag and drop .

chasmoe

Lieutenant
Boat Make
fib fab
could be the lakemans from gloucester , one of the boats the ugly duck ?? there pogie seiners

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
I had a family out on a charter last year and the husband asked me about Bunker. I had no idea what he was talking about, and it wasn't due to the accent. Pogies and Menhaden are what I knew them as, Bunker was added to the list but they still didn't want to fill the bags for me.

I offered them gloves... geez :rolleyes:

lobstercatcher

Rear Admiral
I had a family out on a charter last year and the husband asked me about Bunker. I had no idea what he was talking about, and it wasn't due to the accent. Pogies and Menhaden are what I knew them as, Bunker was added to the list but they still didn't want to fill the bags for me.

I offered them gloves... geez :rolleyes:

"it wasn't due to the accent"

He probably didn't think your accent would effect your hearing:D

Top Bottom