Facelift for Nauset 35

Getzum

Ensign
Boat Make
World Cat
Hello Downeast Crew,

Getting near to the finish line with a major facelift for Rum Line. Noank Marine Services did a fantastic job with patching, painting and redefining the boot and water line. You can see some of the patching work in the photos. But you can't see the fairing work they did over the gelcoat crazing! This boat is a 1985 hull and apparently the gelcoat was applied thick back then.

Noank Marine also awlgripped the hand rails.

My biggest part of this was disassembly/reassembly of rails, port lights, etc. I'd SWAG the hours on my side as ~200.

The rub rail and deck joint were the biggest part of the effort for me. I went with the semi triangular style with the 1” insert. This style was a change from the clamshell shaped original rail. To make the new style work I used the old screw holes to tighten the joint. I also cut a bevel in the bottom of the deck joint where it overlaps and then a series of kerfs to let the cap flex so that I could pull it flush with the hull. Basically, the deck joint now has through bolts every 6” with half of them just through the joint and half of them through the joint and the rail. I routed out the back of the new rail about 1/8" to provide extra room for the joint. The rail is painted w Awlgrip oyster white. They just wiped with acetone and applied, which apparently allows it to bond very well. The rub rail is tight to the hull all the way around except for a single 1/4” gap by the port vent. That was a full 1/2” with the old rail! I also added the brass insert to the new rail, attached with slotted oval bronze screws every 8". (My next project is to turn all the slots in the screws to horizontal. o_O)

We also closed the gap at the bow. I added core cell in the joint and pulled the deck part of the joint tight with bolts and kerfs. Noank Marine fiberglassed over the nose.

Hopefully, she’s set up for another decade!

IMG_1694.jpeg IMG_1591.jpeg IMG_1570.jpeg IMG_1569.jpeg IMG_1545.jpeg

Blitzen

Admiral
Boat Make
Flowers Boat Works 46 hull #1, Flowers Boat Works 36 hull #1, Wayne Beal 28 Hull #1, Repco 30 1968,
Very Nice!

ErikT

Captain
Lite User
First Name
Erik
Boat Make
Crowley Beal 28

LuSea

Lieutenant
First Name
Tom
Boat Make
Nauset 35
great work! We have a '85 Nauset 35 here as well. What does your Nauset have for power?

Last edited:

05bill

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
rp, willis beal
Hello Downeast Crew,

Getting near to the finish line with a major facelift for Rum Line. Noank Marine Services did a fantastic job with patching, painting and redefining the boot and water line. You can see some of the patching work in the photos. But you can't see the fairing work they did over the gelcoat crazing! This boat is a 1985 hull and apparently the gelcoat was applied thick back then.

Noank Marine also awlgripped the hand rails.

My biggest part of this was disassembly/reassembly of rails, port lights, etc. I'd SWAG the hours on my side as ~200.

The rub rail and deck joint were the biggest part of the effort for me. I went with the semi triangular style with the 1” insert. This style was a change from the clamshell shaped original rail. To make the new style work I used the old screw holes to tighten the joint. I also cut a bevel in the bottom of the deck joint where it overlaps and then a series of kerfs to let the cap flex so that I could pull it flush with the hull. Basically, the deck joint now has through bolts every 6” with half of them just through the joint and half of them through the joint and the rail. I routed out the back of the new rail about 1/8" to provide extra room for the joint. The rail is painted w Awlgrip oyster white. They just wiped with acetone and applied, which apparently allows it to bond very well. The rub rail is tight to the hull all the way around except for a single 1/4” gap by the port vent. That was a full 1/2” with the old rail! I also added the brass insert to the new rail, attached with slotted oval bronze screws every 8". (My next project is to turn all the slots in the screws to horizontal. o_O)

We also closed the gap at the bow. I added core cell in the joint and pulled the deck part of the joint tight with bolts and kerfs. Noank Marine fiberglassed over the nose.

Hopefully, she’s set up for another decade!

View attachment 111422 View attachment 111423 View attachment 111424 View attachment 111425 View attachment 111426

Saw you and the boat in Edgartown in the Fall.Willis Beal, Paula IV, your boat looks fantastic !!! A dramatic change . Good luck with her.

Getzum

Ensign
Boat Make
World Cat
Paula IV was an inspiration! Hope to see you out there again this fall - though I didn't stick with the white hull color like we talked about.

05bill

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
rp, willis beal
Paula IV was an inspiration! Hope to see you out there again this fall - though I didn't stick with the white hull color like we talked about.

You selected an excellent color , it really looks very classic.

I hit a ledge coming through Woods Hole passage last week, keel damage,scrambling to get her fixed . These repair guys are out several weeks. Hope to get her back in asap.

Have fun with your "new " boat !!

Keelboater

Admiral
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman
I'll be doing my rub rail and paint soon enough. Thanks for the heads up on what to expect! Your boat looks great.

Top Bottom