fairing after bottom blasting

aweigh again

Commander
Boat Make
22 foot 1983 bass boat
I just had my 1983 22 sisu bottom blasted. there are a lot of voids now showing on the hull. many of slightly larger than a pinhole, some about a quarter inch, and a some the size of a silver dollar. the deepest voids are about 3/8 of an inch deep. any recommendations for the best material to fill them with .i was looking at lbi 940 vinylester fairing compound.I am planning to do a barrier coat ,and then do new bottom paint afterward

Tuckerman

Captain
Boat Make
22 webber cove
If you use the LBI mix it well resin settles to bottom of can or bucket. It leaves a lot if pinholes. I would use rage ultra , goes on and sands like BUTTAH . Paul Francis in New Haven or Bpt. carries it or 3m vinalester fairing a lot more money . If you are going to barrier coat go with the rage. The rage ultra is smoother than the gold.

nickyp

Captain
Boat Make
20ft dyer
I use Interfill,or interlux watertite. I prefer watertite. It's 1:1 and sets up
Good and hard. You put in on, it ain't coming off. And it's about as hard as gel coat.
Epoxy! What! You crazy?
No.
No, I'm not.

Not the only thing to use.
Just what I use.

Last edited:

Keelboater

Admiral
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman
I agree with Tuckerman. Mix the LBI vinylester fairing compound very well. If it still appears to be on the dry side you can add vinylester resin to moisten it up to the right consistency. I used it on the bottom of my whaler project with very good results. It sanded out nicely.

I also agree with Toolates reply below - I would repair the deepest with fiberglass and vinylester resin. After all, it is the bottom of the boat.

Last edited:

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
I just had my 1983 22 sisu bottom blasted. there are a lot of voids now showing on the hull. many of slightly larger than a pinhole, some about a quarter inch, and a some the size of a silver dollar. the deepest voids are about 3/8 of an inch deep. any recommendations for the best material to fill them with .i was looking at lbi 940 vinylester fairing compound.I am planning to do a barrier coat ,and then do new bottom paint afterward

Sounds like a case of the blisters to me. Not sure if that demands any more attention that just filler? 3/8" deep the size of quarter is a significant hunk of material to lose from the hull.

I might consider glassing the deepest of them- someone with more experience should comment on this though.

aweigh again

Commander
Boat Make
22 foot 1983 bass boat
the bottom blast guy did not think they were blisters, he has done a lot of boat bottoms, so I think he knows what he is looking at. there isn't any liquid in the area. i will look at this closer though, and possibly get someone else to look at it.

Top Bottom