Faring deck

Micanda

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Duffy
Hi All
I am in the process of doing some deck work on the cockpit floor which had some small cracks in the fairing material. After grinding out the crack I realized that water had seeped under the floor between fairing material and fiberglass subpanel in an area about one foot by one foot. I have removed lose fairing material and while I am at it I would like to refair and renon- skid the deck. I have sanded most of the old nonskid off and have it down to fairing material my question is it ok to leave some of the primer and paint on if it is in good shape and fair over it, or will heat from polyfair kicking off loosen the paint.Or do I have to remove all of the paint and primer? Here is a Photo of the work so far. Thanks Mike

Last edited:

benenglish76

Lieutenant
What kind of boat you fixin up? And to be honest, if any former paint/primer/putty hasnt already came up with intense sanding (which it looks like you have been doing) then what is left is alright to adhere to, has long as the proper "tooth" and cleaning method is applied.

reelrampage35

Commander
Boat Make
Duffy
I see this boat all the time "up the river", beautiful boat. Are you doing the work in the yard. Boat is kept in excellent condititon. What kind of power is in there? My inlaws keep there boat across the river.

Eslang

Commander
Boat Make
43 Flowers
Wasn't that boat on yacht world some years back in South Carolina? Nice boat. Good luck with your project. 42 Duffy with twins right?

Micanda

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Duffy
The steps are on the winterback its one step on the gunwale than ontop of the freezer than up ladder, sound tough but not bad at all my dad who is 80 gets up with a little help.

Micanda

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Duffy
The only thing stopping me from going with teak is the maintenance! Keeping it looking right would drive me NUTS! Mike

MDI45

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
45MDI /28WB
Have you ever checked out NUTEAK.COM...it is synthetic teak decking...it looks nice....but iam not sure

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 268 Islander, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 268 Islander, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60

plowin

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
33' flowers
If I were going to do it I would use teak boards on the gunnels and not strips. One piece wide planks would be my number one choice but two boards with one seam would look nice as well. I think you will find that the strips will be too busy.

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
My 2 cents. Forget the teak and lay down a coat of nonskid.

You'll get next years season back.

Wood is nice. But fuck that maintenance!!
If I were going to do it I would use teak boards on the gunnels and not strips. One piece wide planks would be my number one choice but two boards with one seam would look nice as well. I think you will find that the strips will be too busy.
I'd vote gel coat non-skid,
Teak is nice but you have to "keep up with it" !

btw, the cockpit deck looks real nice and fresh !

Micanda

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Duffy
I will stick with the plan! I like the challenge will hate the maintenance though .any suggestion on what to us for adhesion.?

Top Bottom