FCC license

hotreels73

Lieutenant
Anyone have a simple answer or links on how to obtain an FCC license? I can not figure out whats forms I have to submit on their website. People have told me I need to fill out a form online and pay the fee?

-Jeff

greg

Captain
Its a brain dead, frustrating system.

Go here: FCC Universal Licensing System (ULS): ULS Home

Click on the Register link. When you finish the registration process they will give a long fugly number. SAVE THIS NUMBER.

Now go back to the link above and click Log In for on-line filing (you will need your fugly number). Fill out the form to request a restricted radio operator permit.

When you are done filing, you need to pay for the application (don't remember where the link is). It should cost you $60.

Technically you are filing forms 159 and 605. You can print out these forms and mail them in.

Easy? Yeah right, once you figure it out. :confused:

Raider Ronnie

Vice Admiral
Lite User
Website
www.bostonharborcharters.com
Boat Make
33 Flowers.

greg

Captain
I know a few guys who say screw it and have the attitude it's cheaper to pay the fines rather than the cost every year to be 100% legal with some of these bullshit ways of our elected officials, state & gov regulators fees put in place thats nothing more than a money grab from us.
I comply with the rules every year but if you ask me these guys have a point !
Case in point, the life raft inspections commercial vs rec.
Someone going to tell me a raft inspected every other year as recs are allowed will only work on a rec boat but that same raft put on a commercial is not going to deploy ? :rolleyes:

Actually, there is no inspection requirement at all for rec boats (including charters). You can have one ten years out of date and not draw a fine.

Never understood that either.

The FCC nonsense is infuriating though. $160 dollars between the station license and operator permit, no test, no training, nothing but a piece of paper. The only thing I knew after getting the permits I didn't know before was I was out $160.

Oh. I get an international mmsI number. Big whoop.

traditions

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 Holland
I don't think us here in Maine need a FCC,the coast guard doesn't ask for it when boarding.We used to have to have one ,and the radar was supposed to be on the license.Maybe commercial fishing boats are not required.

Regina E

Commander
Website
www.reginaesportfishing.com
Boat Make
35 Duffy #300
I don't think us here in Maine need a FCC,the coast guard doesn't ask for it when boarding.We used to have to have one ,and the radar was supposed to be on the license.Maybe commercial fishing boats are not required.

When the cutter out of Montauk stopped me this fall they asked to see mine along with a ton of other stuff.

Bulman711

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
31 JC
Call them and tell you what you need, I was on the same boat as you and called them and they sent me an email with step by step directions on how to do it... It ended up taking 5 mins.

Overkill

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
44 Calvin Beal

Yes we do, I've had to show it for every dockside exam I've had done.

Dano62

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
34' Wayne Beal
Yes we do, I've had to show it for every dockside exam I've had done.

There's so much inconstancy in enforcement of gov't regs. I get boarded probably once a season and I've never been asked for an FCC license. The cg guy who does my two year safety inspections has never asked either.

Dano62

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
34' Wayne Beal
I know a few guys who say screw it and have the attitude it's cheaper to pay the fines rather than the cost every year to be 100% legal with some of these bullshit ways of our elected officials, state & gov regulators fees put in place thats nothing more than a money grab from us.
I comply with the rules every year but if you ask me these guys have a point !
Case in point, the life raft inspections commercial vs rec.
Someone going to tell me a raft inspected every other year as recs are allowed will only work on a rec boat but that same raft put on a commercial is not going to deploy ? :rolleyes:

In regard to life raft inpspections, this once a year stuff is bs. Being 34', I'm not required to have one, but I do. The legal way around it for me is to write, "For Training Purposes Only" on the outside of the canister.

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
If the government insists on interfering w/ everything we do on a boat, they could at least be consistent about it, right? No, they are either too broke, dumb, untrained and or understaffed for that to happen. Really I don't understand it. My DMR, which is a T-boat has 42" rails, but they are worried to death about me having all the skills and equipment to rescue a passenger from the water. A six pack boat w/ low gunnels and a more tender nature doesn't have to go through any of that bullshit, nor are they even required to have a raft for offshore fishing trips. Their passengers are often oblivious to the perils of the sea. A charter boat w/ an old half rotten hull would probably sink much faster than a T-boat w/ numerous watertight bulkheads, but it's OK for them not to have as much safety gear as the commercial man, who pretty much knows what he is up against. As for annual inspections, there's a racket. They make the safety gear so something will always need replacing. And charge what they want b/c of limited demand. What was this about- FCC license?

greg

Captain
If the government insists on interfering w/ everything we do on a boat, they could at least be consistent about it, right? No, they are either too broke, dumb, untrained and or understaffed for that to happen. Really I don't understand it. My DMR, which is a T-boat has 42" rails, but they are worried to death about me having all the skills and equipment to rescue a passenger from the water. A six pack boat w/ low gunnels and a more tender nature doesn't have to go through any of that bullshit, nor are they even required to have a raft for offshore fishing trips. Their passengers are often oblivious to the perils of the sea. A charter boat w/ an old half rotten hull would probably sink much faster than a T-boat w/ numerous watertight bulkheads, but it's OK for them not to have as much safety gear as the commercial man, who pretty much knows what he is up against. As for annual inspections, there's a racket. They make the safety gear so something will always need replacing. And charge what they want b/c of limited demand. What was this about- FCC license?

Yeah, its downright scary how little safety gear or training a charter boat needs (oupv that is). Basically the only thing they need over what a rec would be required to carry are type 1 life jackets.

Now if the charter boat wants to do any commercial fishing, that all changes, but only for the commercial trips.

A charter boat could legally go to the canyons without a vhf, or epirb, or sat phone, or even a chartplotter or compass. As long as they have nav lights appropriate for their boat, type 1 jackets, and three flares, they are good to go.

Top Bottom