FF, GPS Chartplotter and Radar

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
What are the "recommendations" for an inexpensive single 8 to 10 inch monitor package with a radar dome for the "new"/"used" 25 T Jason.

Nothing fancy required.

I want to get out, get back safely in case of fog, track a few targets if necessary, see some bottom structure/fish etc., route tracking, overlay mark a few spots etc.

Recreational only.

The Standard Horizon / Sitex Radar combos seem decent and affordable.

Opinions ??

Thanks, Bill D

btw, I hace twin C80 Raymarines, DSM300, 1000W transducer, 24 mile radar, weather etc. on the Blackfin. Nice stuff but not really necessary for the boating I want to do with the 25 footer.

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 226, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60

MASTERENEGADE

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Had a DE, now 24' Privateer
Personally i'd look at lowrance or Standard. I think standard builds some of the toughest equiptment, maybe not the best chart detailed but def built for longevity.
The only problem I found with Garmins is on a few units I can never seem to get the lat lons to show up on the same screen as the depth finder. Makes finding rocks/wrecks nearly impossible. Maybe they have changed that but, this is just my experience using other peoples machines.

Raider Ronnie

Vice Admiral
Lite User
Website
www.bostonharborcharters.com
Boat Make
33 Flowers.

MASTERENEGADE

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Im with RaiderRonnie. None of my machines are combo units, I like having everything as standalones this way if i lose one i do not lose them all. It would be tough telling a charter we cant black fish anymore cause i lost my gps/fishfinder.

sailor of fortune

Rear Admiral
First Name
Jack
Boat Make
2 Home made skiffs
I would go with the Standard Horizon chartplotter and add the Sitex Radar antenna. If you want a backup, use a cheap refurbished laptop ($200 Ebay) with free OPEN CPN software and a USB gps ($30 Ebay). All the charts are free.
You wouldn't have a backup radar, but you could fulfill your Charter trip.
I have used the open cpn and like it. I have not used the SH plotter and Sitex radar. Several friends whose judgment I trust, use the SH and love it.

Shamrock Fisher

Lieutenant
Boat Make
26ft Shamrock/6BT 210hp Cummins
Sitex on my boat. I have owned Sitex electronics for the past 20 years and have never had a problem with any I've owned. I have a Sitex colormax wide on my boat that I use as a plotter and love it. It is a multifunction unit also. Andy

twister

Captain
Boat Make
37 Mitchell cove
The simrad is a nice unit, I just got one this year after using furuno Navnet stuff. The simrad is much nicer than the Navnet stuff. For the price you can't beat a nss8 and a 3G dome for a new package. If you found a used Navnet I would go for that.

Bill_N

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31' JC Rowdy Girl
I'd look for something used. Hard to justify new electronics on an older boat unless you plan on doing a total restore.

MASTERENEGADE

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Gary that 951, we may need to talk. Esp if you have long island sounds chip

MASTERENEGADE

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Standard! Still the most durable in my eyes i have between gps and vhf 4 currently going. One of the gps's was in a pretty good boat accident before i purchased it dirt cheap works great.

Wharf Rat

Marine Electronics 'Professional'
Forum Sponsor
Website
www.precisionmarinecenter.com
Boat Make
OPB
Bill,

To quote the 'Different Strokes' theme song, 'Now, the world don't move to the beat of just one drum, What might be right for you, may not be right for some.'
And Visa-Versa.
Some people use hundreds of marks and waypoints, some people even just press an MOB button to mark their pots, and some people just jot down LL or TD numbers on a log book. There are a lot of great products out there, but you have to keep in mind what you may want next year, and further down the line. That could be adding a radar to an MFD, a new sounder module, and most importantly, the ability to update charts as you go. It's an investment. However, I would want to know what depths you're planning on operating in, experience with prior interfaces, if you're a point and click guy, or a menu driven guy. These are the little things that the marketing campaigns forget, and that is simple is the name of the game. I'd love to talk more about it, any chance you'll have a chance to either drop me a PM or email with a contact number? I'm actually headed to the NMEA convention this coming week, which along with being able to see every piece of new gear that is to be unveiled over the next 6 months, I also get a hefty discount on orders. It might be a bit too soon to ask you to commit to a system in just a week, as I encourage everyone to research and read up on the links I send out. It's all about the right system for YOUR mission, as you are the one who will be out on the water relying on a tool that needs to do the job. Some brands are better than others in certain aspects, but the days of X is better than Y just don't apply (with the exception of Furuno - there is no questions there, just a huge price tag on some of their gear. Reach out to me when you can, no rush. There's a lot to talk about. Good luck, and I hope to hear from you soon.

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
What are the "recommendations" for an inexpensive single 8 to 10 inch monitor package with a radar dome for the "new"/"used" 25 T Jason.

Nothing fancy required.

I want to get out, get back safely in case of fog, track a few targets if necessary, see some bottom structure/fish etc., route tracking, overlay mark a few spots etc.

Recreational only.

The Standard Horizon / Sitex Radar combos seem decent and affordable.

Opinions ??

Thanks, Bill D

btw, I hace twin C80 Raymarines, DSM300, 1000W transducer, 24 mile radar, weather etc. on the Blackfin. Nice stuff but not really necessary for the boating I want to do with the 25 footer.

Just came from the boat show in Norwalk CT and they are advertising a NSS7 with radar package for $2650 or so. No transducer but they are suggesting a B60 for $221.

Sounds like a good deal on a smaller setup for a smaller boat. I was tempted but would rather go with someone local(er) than boat show vendor so working on some numbers with Wharfrat.

The chirp technology is so cool looking, just wonder if it really works in real life. Havent officially sorted it out but I believe it requires a separate "imaging sounder" component which I think is another $1700 or so and another transducer.

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
Spoke to him yesterday and he is going to give me some numbers.

Top Bottom