Fiberglass cure

cb34

Rear Admiral
What is the coldest temp resin will cure in?

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
You can do it down to 40°F with no real issues, just be observant as you're going though.

Below that sometimes you have to get creative. Hardest part I've encountered while knee deep in the snow outside is getting the piece you're repairing up to temp to displace all the frost. Foolish to surface prep when there is ice around, just going to drive that moisture down into the laminate for a fantastic surprise next winter.

Halogen lamps work pretty nice, even a regular drop light works well. Those pig tail bulbs just don't cut the mustard though.

Bill

Founder
Boat Make
27 Terry Jason
I had this same question, and ive been working with glass all wonter in cold temps.. I was all worried about it but once you see the results its reslly not much to worry about. You can glass all you want in the cold weather it just wont kick fast at all ( I found this helped me as I needed more work time) eventually it will kick if you turn on a propane heater on low for a few hours or If you just leave it for a few days it will be good to go when you come back... my opinion and experience only.

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
I have been using clip on lights with porcelain sockets and 200W incandescent bulbs. I heated my tent with the propane heater so the boat was warmed up a little, store all my glass and resin etc. inside so its warm, then do my work and leave the lights on the glass, one inside the hull if possible and one outside so its heated from both sides.

Its has all cured in all kinds of temps and surfaces are just warm to the touch even when its 25 in the shed. I didnt want to add too much heat just make sure it kicked. Just my very limited experience as Bill said too. All West System epoxy too FYI. Hardest part is working the resin mix because it is viscous as hell in the cold.

SHORT STEP

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Tripp / midland
Cure time

I have had wet rollers cure in a freezer in a couple day . They get pretty warm in there , hope it didnt ruin my bait ,stinks up the freezer
Bob

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
I have been using clip on lights with porcelain sockets and 200W incandescent bulbs. I heated my tent with the propane heater so the boat was warmed up a little, store all my glass and resin etc. inside so its warm, then do my work and leave the lights on the glass, one inside the hull if possible and one outside so its heated from both sides.

Its has all cured in all kinds of temps and surfaces are just warm to the touch even when its 25 in the shed. I didnt want to add too much heat just make sure it kicked. Just my very limited experience as Bill said too. All West System epoxy too FYI. Hardest part is working the resin mix because it is viscous as hell in the cold.

If you're mixing epoxy, a heat gun on the mix works wonders.

5akman

Commander
Website
www.alldrinsalmon.com
Boat Make
40' Snowball gillnetter
I was in AK last Easter vacation working on my boat. High temp during the week was 16 degrees! I kept the resin inside the cabin at night and in my car during the day. I was able to do all the glassing I needed although the resin was still very thick! On the last morning there, my buddy and I laid two layers of 1 1/2" oz mat on the back deck. It later snowed lightly that day and when I returned in mid June, I found the most amazing non skid pattern I've ever seen. You could actually see an imprint of each snow flake!

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
The resin was warm when it went into the mixing can but cools very quickly I think in the plastic mix bucket and over the 10 minutes or so it takes me to use it since it was cold where I was sitting. Heat gun makes me worry about overheating but I guess I could just sit it there on low or make a stand and leave the bucket a foot away? That what you mean?

I have heard people putting the bucket in a pot of warm water on an electric cooktop to keep it warm but not too practical on the boat.

Epoxy cured but a little white in places- I think from small air bubbles from me working it too much?

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
You point the heat gun at the mix, warm it up and stir w/ one hand, heat gun in the other. If you only have one hand, get a helper or improvise. You didn't mix it too much. But if it gets cold, there's more likelihood of fuck-ups.

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
I can handle that I think :rolleyes: but it cools pretty quick and thickens up noticeably. I made some test pieces to see how well they would stick and pretty much have to tear it apart leaving a layer of glass on the boat to remove it so the bond is good. As far as I can tell anyway.

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
You point the heat gun at the mix, warm it up and stir w/ one hand, heat gun in the other. If you only have one hand, get a helper or improvise. You didn't mix it too much. But if it gets cold, there's more likelihood of fuck-ups.

this is your 1000th post! sorry its to me haha. thanks

Keelboater

Admiral
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman
I hear that West System has partnered up with Keurig to bring you new hot Epoxy Cups for winter projects. No mixing. Just pop the cup into the brewer and push the button. A minute later you have a perfect blend of epoxy ready to apply. :rolleyes:

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
this is your 1000th post! sorry its to me haha. thanks

Yeah, another couple of years and I might be a "Captain" if they don't kick me out first. You- you're on the fast track. A good friend of mine only has one arm and is a real DIY boat guy; I was thinking of him doing glasswork when I wrote the post.

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
Yeah, another couple of years and I might be a "Captain" if they don't kick me out first. You- you're on the fast track. A good friend of mine only has one arm and is a real DIY boat guy; I was thinking of him doing glasswork when I wrote the post.

Think you have to earn that title and not by typing. Think you are there already no?

Top Bottom