Fiberglass diesel tank leak

Eye doc

Lieutenant
First Name
Al
Boat Make
31’ JC
Well, I had a weekend to work on this leak. The advice of those on this forum and that of Joe at Merton’s provided what appears to be a solid repair for this tank. The key was using the brake cleaner to ‘degrease’ the original resin. I removed all traces of the old patch, re-drilled the hole slightly larger and filled it with thickened VE resin, and layered 3–4 layers of chopped mat over the hole as well as adjacent areas. The tank was re-filled, and 2 days later, no evidence of any leak whatsoever!
It is amazing how far the diesel traveled through the interior of the laminate to finally exit a foot from the initial leak. While this was a real PITA, the learning and sense of satisfaction is priceless! Thanks…
Before and after…

FEC17878-6EB9-4B4D-9522-2C686E5E426D.jpeg

FF57EEC6-EA88-46CE-A6FC-9A27E0E28EE8.jpeg

Last edited:

johnd

Ensign
I had a 45 foot key west with a similar leak in a 500 gallon fiberglass tank. I cleaned it with Acetone and kneaded a marine epoxy stick on it. when it cured I put 3 layers of glass on it. Lasted another 20 years when I sold the boat 5 years ago and as far as I know it still has not leaked

Top Bottom