Fiberglass exhaust tube strength

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
Thinking of using a section of this stuff (Centek Industries - Products) and they list the wall thickness as 0.148" which is thin IMO. Mostly I wonder how far it can span safely? Dont see any specs on the site and they sell it in 10' lengths.

Imagining it mostly full of water bouncing around on a rough day. Worst case..

I will be using a piece of 3" and only thinking of making it span maybe 3'. Anyone have any experience on how strong this stuff is?

plyandglass

Lieutenant Commander
centek tubing span

Been using this stuff for years in 4'',6'', 8'' up to 14'' in dia. ,built y connections , surge cans , all kinds of exhaust systems. 3'' dia. would be fine with a "cradle" support at both ends . just allow for your hose ends (clamp space) and don't put it in a bind with wire reinforced
hose and you will be fine. if space is limited at the exhaust elbow you can use trident red (high heat) preformed or bellows which allows for slight misalignment. also figure on using stainless T-bolt clamps as they give even pressure on the hove-tube assembly(they tend to last longer as well.

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
Don't forget the crush sleeves

This is sort of what made me wonder how strong it is.

Think my exhaust is going to have a piece of 3" pipe going from my outlets at the transom that will span from the transom to a bulkhead about 3' away where it will be supported. Then the muffler before the next bulkhead and 4" hose up to the elbows. Muffler will be cradled at both ends at the hose.

Also, Plyandglass, I have always used T bolt style clamps but the place I am buying all my parts from (Precision Marine) has recommended that I use constant tension (pressure? Not sure of the name) clamps that have a spring that loads up and maintiains the pressure on the clamp. You can see a couple in Bills picture below. I am going on their recommendation and using them but never had a problem (in my limited experience) with the T bolts.

Last edited:
Top Bottom