Fiberglass Fuel Tanks

Trevor28

Lieutenant
Lite User
Last edited:

Sykes

Ensign
I have a 1988 42 Bruno with glass tanks and have had no issues. I was told from the owner/builder dick that having a pickup on the bottom of the tank keeps it clean. I do add fuel additives at every filling and keep an eye on filters.

tunaorlater

Admiral
Boat Make
40' Northern bay
Pretty much problem free unless ice cracks them for some reason. If you want to move the pickups I would glass that hole closed good then make a plate of solid glass or aluminum for your pick up and return and epoxy it into place. I like to have the return away from the pickup so the tank is constantly filtered.

Brooksie

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bruno-Stillman 35
Unless the idiots in Washington decide we need ethanol in our diesel fuel (it's being "discussed"), fiberglass is a great material for diesel fuel, maybe the best.
You may wish your pickup were at the bottom of my tank so the junk would be in your filters instead of laying in the bottom of the tank waiting for the roughest day to be picked up. There is no regulation against it on diesel.

Downrigga

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
36' NB
If you stabilize your fuel there will be zero junk in your tank. If your getting build up of solids in your tanks it wont matter if your pick up is on the top or bottom. If you use double tap bushings and run both supply and return to the bottom of the tank, that will be your best bet for coming off the top of the tank. Like mike said make a plate and tap the bushing into the plate.

Last edited:

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH.. Piscataqua and Merrimack Rivers
Boat Make
27 H&H with Cummins QSB 5.9 480 power
I have twin frp tanks in my 1997 27 H&H.
frp tanks were on the short list of "has to have" before I bought the boat for the repower/rehab project.
I would NOT look forward to removing and replacing the tanks with aluminum if ethanol gets added to diesel :eek:

Genius

Admiral
First Name
David
Boat Make
32 Morse Cove
Old Hinckley fiberglass tanks in my mooring boat. Also, still going strong.

diesel

Lieutenant Commander
Lite User
First Name
Ed
Boat Make
Mussel Ridge 42

Eye doc

Lieutenant
First Name
Al
Boat Make
31’ JC
Added a 1/2 a quart, split between the tanks, of the AJX TMS before putting her to bed!

Trevor28

Lieutenant
Lite User

Downrigga

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
36' NB
New tanks are going to cost me $1,600 ish on top of the deck refit. How worried should I be with potential regulations on diesel with ethanol? I plan to open this boat for 10+ years
I would not worry one bit. Because diesel fuel is a lot more powerful and efficent than gasoline, ethanol is not needed to increase the efficiency of diesel like it is needed for gasoline. Diesel fuel also ignites under much higher pressure and ethanol has a low flash point. May be a nitch market for it but its not really the best application for diesel engines. The renewable aspect is the other factor but diesel fuel has many options for a bio component due to its nature. The resins used today to build fuel tanks are different than years ago too. The Gov does study shit though. Like the study done that showed ethanol was going to be great because it is renewable and will put farmers to work. Then the oil companies pointed out that the farmers were consuming twice as much diesel fuel to create the ethanol.

Brooksie

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bruno-Stillman 35
Basically, you need to worry any time congress is in session.
Ethanol is already being added to diesel (Ediesel) for some fleets & uses in some markets.
Boaters are "low hanging fruit" for bureaucrats divide and conquer routine.

Downrigga

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
36' NB
Basically, you need to worry any time congress is in session.
Ethanol is already being added to diesel (Ediesel) for some fleets & uses in some markets.
Boaters are "low hanging fruit" for bureaucrats divide and conquer routine.
E DIESEL

Brooksie

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bruno-Stillman 35
I would not worry one bit. Because diesel fuel is a lot more powerful and efficent than gasoline, ethanol is not needed to increase the efficiency of diesel like it is needed for gasoline. Diesel fuel also ignites under much higher pressure and ethanol has a low flash point. May be a nitch market for it but its not really the best application for diesel engines. The renewable aspect is the other factor but diesel fuel has many options for a bio component due to its nature. The resins used today to build fuel tanks are different than years ago too. The Gov does study shit though. Like the study done that showed ethanol was going to be great because it is renewable and will put farmers to work. Then the oil companies pointed out that the farmers were consuming twice as much diesel fuel to create the ethanol.
The addition of ethanol DECREASES the efficiency of gasoline. Renewable? It takes more BTU's of fuel to produce a gallon of ethanol than there are BTU's in that gallon.

Downrigga

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
36' NB
The addition of ethanol DECREASES the efficiency of gasoline. Renewable? It takes more BTU's of fuel to produce a gallon of ethanol than there are BTU's in that gallon.
It decreases the efficiency of regular gasoline. By the time they get done messing with it to make it more friendly, it increases the efficency because they ruined perfectly good gasoline. They have to add it back in to make the gas burn more completely. Agree 100 % on the BTU aspect. Ethanol was meant as an alternative to fosil fuels. They didnt think it out very well.

Brooksie

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bruno-Stillman 35
Back in the day, racing, we increased jet sizes and tank sizes by 30% when going to 100% alcohol and HOPED for a little more power due ONLY to the superior cooling effect of alcohol, It contained 30% less BTU's than gasoline.

"They didn't think it out very well." Do they ever think about anything but themselves and their "buddies" ??

Last edited:
Top Bottom