Fiberglass help.

eb tide

Lieutenant
Boat Make
28' Northern Bay
I am fiberglassing my engine box in my garage. I Did all three sides and bottom edges all came out very good. no problems. Did the top and the resin did not harden in 3 small spots. It's been 5 days and still sticky. I tried a heatgun still nothing. Do I have to remove all the tacky resin sand and re apply? I guess I didn't stir this batch enough? Any suggestions would b great thanks!

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
Here is the West System user guide and it has some suggestions on all kinds of things. Problem solving section too- I have read it many times and continue to as I learn to use this goo but so far all of mine has hardened. Not sure exactly what you have to do with your situation but post a pic if you can.

WEST SYSTEM | Use Guides

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
I'd try smearing a bit of the hardener on your spots, work it in with a popsicle stick like you're trying to get the last bit of cake batter to blend in the bottom of a bowl.

Bill

Founder
Boat Make
27 Terry Jason
I would just grind out out , grind back a few inches to where you know it's hard and cut a piece to fit in the spot. Re glass and fair it out.. What are you finishing it with ?

chortle

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Herreshoff Coquina, 1972 Jarvis Newman 36, PT11
I am fiberglassing my engine box in my garage. I Did all three sides and bottom edges all came out very good. no problems. Did the top and the resin did not harden in 3 small spots. It's been 5 days and still sticky. I tried a heatgun still nothing. Do I have to remove all the tacky resin sand and re apply? I guess I didn't stir this batch enough? Any suggestions would b great thanks!
Pick up the phone and call the folks at West Systems, they have good tech service support over the phone. They might also be able to help you with what went wrong.

nickyp

Captain
Boat Make
20ft dyer
either grind our cut out the bad spots with a utility knife if that is possible. Wipe down the area with lacquer thinner or mek, or acetone, and re glass.
When using epoxy, you must remember that it is completely different from polyester. You cannot add more hardener, and make it kick faster. It won't harden properly.
West systems 5:1 ratio mush be adhered to strictly.
The other thing you must do it to mix it THOROUGHLY. A full minute if not more is good practice.
We use west system almost exclusively at work, and following these simple rules have never had a problem.
I have completely forgotten to add the hardener when in a real hurry. What a treat that is, coming in the next day and finding everything to be a sticky mess! :)

oldshell55

Captain
Boat Make
BHM36 , 38’ young bros ,
in cold weather west gets pretty thick and hard to thoroughly mix. I keep the can next to my heater to keep it warm and easy to mix you can also let it sit for a minute after mixing, sort of an induction time for cold weather

I stir 100 times in each direction

eb tide

Lieutenant
Boat Make
28' Northern Bay
I added a little more hardener to one spot last night and tried mixing it in. That didnt work, just made more off sticky mess. I guess its time to grind and cut out the spots and try again. I think the last batch I made I did not stir enough!! Thanks guys .

BOSBoatMan

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
36 Hatteras/13 Whaler/24 Sailfish
You need to make a resin box keep it warmy like oldshell says then ya need to invest in the pump set, it does measure the five to one ratio perfectly

MDI45

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
45MDI /28WB
You need to make a resin box keep it warmy like oldshell says then ya need to invest in the pump set, it does measure the five to one ratio perfectly
You need to throw that west shit out.....and get yourself 5 gal of laminating resin from reinforced plastics in farmingdale....Eb Tide.are you the guy who had the transom door that delaminated

Keelboater

Admiral
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman
I think epoxy is great for repairs, but for laminating fiberglass it's hard to beat vinylester. So Eb - this is how you get to be good at something. Do it. Then do it again. We've all been there at one time or another. You'll get it straightened out. At this point I would stick with the epoxy for the repair areas because you've already gone so far with it. Have fun!

eb tide

Lieutenant
Boat Make
28' Northern Bay
MDI45 no that's not me I do not have a transom door.
I grinded and cut out the couple spots that didn't harden. Then put new glass down made sure I did ratio correctly, stirred the crap out of it, and it hardened and came out all good!

Sailorgp

Captain
Boat Make
Sisu 26
wipe down the sticky areas with acetone, removing as much of the bad material as possible...then re- coat the affected areas with a properly mixed batch of fresh epoxy.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom