Fiberglass repair

Estimator

Commander
Boat Make
43 Torres
although not a DE but I hope to have one soon, I have some glass work to do on my current boats transom door and wanted some opinions on how to approach the work.
This happened before but my marina did not do the right job (as usual) so I am researching before I do the work again.

Thanks for any feedback and Happy Holidays

Anthony

photo_2[7].jpg

photo_1[7].jpg

MDI45

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
45MDI /28WB
Anthony, Does that transom door have a moisture problem.....it looks like she is cracking due to a water freeze issue

Eastporter

Admiral
Boat Make
Sold- 20' Eastporter (Rebuilt 2011) 22' Pearson Ensign
I agree with MDI. Is there a wood core? I would take the door off and cut it open. Dig out all the wet core and re-core with your choice of material. Bed in thickened epoxy and then glass over with some 1708 and cloth or a few layers of 1.5 oz mat. Fair and paint or gel coat. Reinstall door. Make sure to fill all the holes drilled into the door and over drill/fill with thickened epoxy or hull and deck putty/ drill /seal with 5200 or marine silicone and reinstall hinge. It appears someone drilled a "weep hole" to let water drain if you look at the photo. I could be wrong but maybe the marina glassed over a wet core and the freeze/thaw cycle continues until it weakened the layers of glass causing the failure. You can probably use both the inner and outer glass skins again if you want to save some time and money. The top will definitely need to be layered with some new glass on the top where the crack is. On second look... I see two holes where a bolster pad was and removed. They were not sealed properly and allowed water intrusion which lead to a rotten core. Just speculating here-

Last edited:

Estimator

Commander
Boat Make
43 Torres
It must have water but can open up and check. The door is off the boat and in the house. It seems hollow inside but there are what sounds like broken pieces from the previous failed repair.

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
Moisture for sure. It needs to be re cored. The current glass must be ground down wafer thin so new layer of glass can be stepped in. I would get a roll of 4" biaxle glass and just step the glass 4" to lay the new cloth in. WE can do this job in your garage.

Top Bottom