Fiberglass Tanks

Bill

Founder
Boat Make
27 Terry Jason
I got 2 fiberglass tanks in my boat. Both are about 55 gals, They are not leaking but I know alot of guys are having problems with ethanol. is there anyway to reuse them or are they going to fail.. what if I pressure test them and reglass and gelcoat them? no?

photo 1 (7).jpg

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
I got 2 fiberglass tanks in my boat. Both are about 55 gals, They are not leaking but I know alot of guys are having problems with ethanol. is there anyway to reuse them or are they going to fail.. what if I pressure test them and reglass and gelcoat them? no?

Bill,

Are absolutely POSITIVE the two tanks are not "plastic" possibly made by Triple MMM Plastics up there in Kennebunk ME. ??

Same tanks as Ronnie has in his BHM ??

Bill

Founder
Boat Make
27 Terry Jason
I guess this is pretty much the answer. ChrisP who is restoring the H&H stopped by today and said he has a guy in RI that makes a good aluminum tank. Guess ill be giving him a shout

BoatUS: Seaworthy

Kodiakan

Commander
Am wondering if they make a plastic tank that is impervious to ethanol. My last boat had both tanks ruined by electrolysis. That happened in spite of having it well zinced. Our harbor is that hot. Now I worry about my current boat which also has aluminum tanks.

Eslang

Commander
Boat Make
43 Flowers
Bill,
If you are staying with gasoline, which has ethanol in it, it WILL absolutely deteriorate the tanks. Ethanol eats away at everything and will delaminate FG tanks.
You're this far, update the tanks before you put the deck back in.
I'm an auto mechanic by trade. You'd be surprised what ethanol does to tanks and plumbing that wasn't designed for it. Literally eats it apart

Blitzen

Admiral
Boat Make
Flowers Boat Works 46 hull #1, Flowers Boat Works 36 hull #1, Wayne Beal 28 Hull #1, Repco 30 1968,
I guess this is pretty much the answer. ChrisP who is restoring the H&H stopped by today and said he has a guy in RI that makes a good aluminum tank. Guess ill be giving him a shout

BoatUS: Seaworthy

Luther is the man here in RI, he does good work if he has the time to fit you in.

Bill

Founder
Boat Make
27 Terry Jason
Ok thanks guys. Never dealt with fg tanks or personally heard of many problems with them. I will absolutely get new aluminum tanks. Like I said just wanted to see if there was a way around it. After reading that article it seems that ethanol starts dissolving it on day 1 and ruining valves.. I'm going gas, 350 carb..

delucat2

Lieutenant
There are resins and coatings that are impervious to gas, but finding someone who knows how to build them is the challenge. Aluminum is great, as long as it never comes into contact with water or salt - which is not really realistic. Mounting and protecting the aluminum tanks will be the key to the long term success. If it is wet in the bilge, they will fail, the only question is how fast.

Sailorgp

Commander
Boat Make
Sisu 26
Bill, when you decide to buy tanks check with Atlantic Coastal Welding located in New Jersey. Good to do business with, quick turn around and good prices

Eslang

Commander
Boat Make
43 Flowers
There are resins and coatings that are impervious to gas, but finding someone who knows how to build them is the challenge. Aluminum is great, as long as it never comes into contact with water or salt - which is not really realistic. Mounting and protecting the aluminum tanks will be the key to the long term success. If it is wet in the bilge, they will fail, the only question is how fast.
Epoxy coat the outside of the new tanks when they're done. Most tank builders will do it for you if you ask

Bill

Founder
Boat Make
27 Terry Jason
Bill, when you decide to buy tanks check with Atlantic Coastal Welding located in New Jersey. Good to do business with, quick turn around and good prices

ok cool I will look them up when it comes time

Epoxy coat the outside of the new tanks when they're done. Most tank builders will do it for you if you ask

the guy in RI who ChrisP used did that for him.. where the tanks are located is a dry spot of the bilge

Beamie

Commander
Moeller has all kinds of stock sizes for poly tanks you should check out. WRT ethanol plastic is the way to go for gas. I replaced my fiberglass tanks with plastic. Aluminum WILL fail over time....usually from the outside in. You mentioned coating the aluminum tanks with epoxy. I would absolutely do that but think about it, your basically wishing it was a plastic tank........so just go with plastic.

Bill

Founder
Boat Make
27 Terry Jason
I thought guys were having the same ethanol problems with the plastic tanks?

morgan1727

Commander
There is a downeast builder now applying coal tar epoxy to his aluminum tanks to help out with the corrosion issues. Sounds like a good idea.

Top Bottom