fiberglass vs metal rudder

nickyp

Captain
Boat Make
20ft dyer
when would a stainless rudder be preferable to a glass one? is it a matter of the speeds your boat will do?

greg

Captain
when would a stainless rudder be preferable to a glass one? is it a matter of the speeds your boat will do?

I've got a glass rudder as well and asked the same question at some point. The answer I got was I could see an extra knot (or more) at cruise with the same rpm's.

They said to try to hold a bat or other thick item in the water vertically while cruising and then try to hold a knife. I never tried it, but I got the point.

I imagine there are other benefits. It's a much bigger ground plane for your bonding system, it would probably survive being hit by an object better, and it probably has higher resale value.

Eventually a glass rudder could begin to get play in it around the shaft. That wouldn't be good.

Anyway, thats what I was told. Ymmv. Experts will have more detail.

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
I agree with everyone on this post but let me ask you this, is there any truth to the fact that a fiberglass rudder is quieter? Seen some fisherman claim this...

backman

Captain
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36
4 year old fiberglass rudder

36 NB, 670 HP QSM 11, 26 X 26 prop. Picture says all.

IMG_3011.jpg

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
High performance application for you there Larry!

There is probably a pressure change after the post correct?

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
Steel is real!

Fiberglass Ruddesr are fine on low HP 15 knot boats. Steel is real. With todays high HP larger wheeled boat the glass take a beating.
My 1st choice is always a bronze wheel as they get along better with a bronze & nibral wheel. If you go Stainless or bronze make sure they a well tided into the bonding system.

Top Bottom