John
Boat Make
26' Duffy, 23' Seaway, 14' Holland

nickyp

Captain
Boat Make
20ft dyer
They are great boats.
Just came back from an overnight snapper trip on my friend's one, and its always a beast

tailhook

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31 JC
I have not seen many with a transom door and cap rail that opens, anybody seen that?

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
Good luck with the project. Keep us posted on the repower. The boat will need a re shafting for use. The current shaft is most likely 1 3/8 or 1 1/2. Either one will not work well with 350+ HP & and 2:0 gear. The boat will run like a rabbit with a 23 X 24 four blader. That will require 380 HP.

DBM

Commander
Lite User

tailhook

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31 JC
Thanks guys for all the support, the boat is in south Carolina right now.
trying to get it back as soon as I can,
Capt. Larry, I don't want the rabbit I want the old beagle chasing him, no back tracking or loosing the scent. I am a 15 knot guy so the 1-1/2" shaft will probably be ok.
looking at a few RTO'S right now mostly cats 300hp or under. the old boat is under contract so until it sells 8 to 9 knots here we come:)

Shamrock Fisher

Lieutenant
Boat Make
26ft Shamrock/6BT 210hp Cummins
Fine looking boat. A friend of mine had a 35 that he used as a charter boat for years. I always admired that boat. It's nick name was "sling queen" cause it had a tall tower and would sling you all over the boat in rough water. It was top heavy. I would have taken the tower off if it were mine.

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
The original power in my JC was a 320 Cat-T. The boat had a 23 X 23 propeller she ran 16 knots. I snapped 2 & cracked one 1.5 shafts all A-22. With 1.5 shafting based on my track record I would not use a propeller larger that a 22 X 21. You could still go with 300 HP but you would need a 1.75 gear to keep the shaft in one piece. JCs need large wheels to perform well. The larger wheel gives you better control over the vessel large keel when running in a sea and carrying load.
On my repower with the 370 Yanmar I went with a 22 X 19 wheel. The boat ran well in the beginning, but once loaded up and in a sea she lost speed & performance. I pulled out the 220a 1.75 gear and replaced it with a 2:0 220a. My wheel went to a 23 X 21. The performance was a world of difference and the speed was excellent.
Shop for a nice light weight diesel in an in-line 6 configuration it will give you the best performance.

tailhook

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31 JC
so I got bored and this is what I came up with minus antennas and radar dome.

159 - Copy.jpg

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
Saw that boat on YW and you must have gotten it for a steal? (!) Like $40k or so if you dont mind me asking?

I would leave that bridge BTW. Nothing like riding up there on a nice day if you ask me. ALso just about doubles your exterior space and great visibility when docking if you have a good mate.

Looks so clean.

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
It does look good but you have just undone the boat that I am looking for (single for me tho). Odd but it almost looks bigger without the bridge.

Looking forward to following this process. Hope you will divulge the cost as things develop. There are so many DE boats that could use another 100 hp to make them move a little.

I might go gas just to keep the cost and noise down. Could do some small engines and still get 16kt cruise speed.

What is planned?

Sailorgp

Commander
Boat Make
Sisu 26
Very good looking boat. I don't care for flying bridges either...but they are quieter when you run from the upper helm. IMHO there's a lot to be said for 'quiet'

tailhook

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31 JC
toolate,
the plans include a repower of some kind to get the speed up a bit not looking for 20+ knots (would love to just not in the budget) then goes to general clean up and repairs and hopefully a lot of fishing. just sold my twin gas sportfish so going from 20+GPH to single digit GPH sounds good to me.
yes I know diesel repairs are far more expensive than gas but it pays to have friends in the trade!!
what they were asking for the JC and what they got was a lot different.
and forgot to mention I will be going to 1-3/4" shaft (Capt. Larry;)) take a look at the blue seas 31' in the found boat section, any questions about that one PM me.

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
I know you got a deal on that boat and even if you paid the ask it would have been a fine deal because that is one clean boat.

Keep us updated on the decision making process. Looking for a JC myself and hoping to find a 15-16 kt boat. Seems like youre going somewhere at that speed. Below that is like trolling (to me).

Members online

Top Bottom