First Canyon Trip

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
So I made my first canyon trip in the RP35. What a joy it was to have this boat out at the canyons. Not bad for just getting back into the game a week ago from being overseas. Overall in the end did 8 yellowfin and 6 albacore. Had a little to much ice, lol at 2 tons for $120. Ahh the convenience of taking ice on by a hose.

photo (9).jpg

tuna.jpg

Linesiders

Lieutenant Commander
Congrats,

Been reading your posts, must have felt good to get out on that first trip.

j dandy

Lieutenant
so i made my first canyon trip in the rp35. What a joy it was to have this boat out at the canyons. Not bad for just getting back into the game a week ago from being overseas. Overall in the end did 8 yellowfin and 6 albacore. Had a little to much ice, lol at 2 tons for $120. Ahh the convenience of taking ice on by a hose.
way to go shawn

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
Boat handled great, left Wednesday at 0700, stopped over at New Bedford for fuel and ice, left there at 0900. Got down to the canyons about midnight, went down there at about 7-9knots, fished until Saturday at 10ish, made it back to the dock at 0100 Sunday. My highlight is I did it for 180 gallons of diesel, generator ran every night hour. In all 90 hour trip, something I always wanted to do. Boat ran great, had some sloppyness Thursday night when I said to myself god I do not want to see what this looks like in the light. We were the only one there minus the Viking Star.

greg

Captain
Nice, but a long arse trip!

We went to west atlantis, got 5 albies and a nice mako. Had an issue with an air leak in the fuel line so came in a few hours early, missed the morning bite and probably a few more fish. Oh well, at least we aren't still out there......

greg

Captain
W atlantis is about a 90 mile run for us. We ran the gennie the entire trip. The odometer read about 320 miles total ground covered and I think we used about 225-250. Won't know for sure till I fill up again. Going from the gauges it could have been as little as 180, I'm just not believing that (trim of the boat messes with my guages).

I've gotten to the tails (80 nm) on 60 gallons before. I know that for sure because thats what I had in a bladder and it topped the tank off when we got there.

One of these days I'll get a flo-scan.

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
I think you were a little confused on which finger to cut... lol good trip...

WRHardie

Commander
I'm unfortunately living in Ohio right now but bou
He's a few I got with the phone,

0905130827-00.jpg

0905131656-00.jpg

0905131814-00.jpg

0904131858-01.jpg

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
You do know this, I was surprised with how rude some of the center consoles were down there. My first canyon trip was somewhere around 1991/1992, just barely making it down there and back in a center console, fished from Fish Tails to Lydonia in tournaments and all others. Mind you in the past three years only made it to the canyons probably 4 times in the smaller boat. I couldnt believe how these guys were cutting me off, making me come off the throttle and everything else. Usually everything is all in harmony and I know in western canyons it has to get crazy but it really shocked me. At one point on another boat, a guy was pointing at me to move and I was on a direct troll for so long and he was trying to edge around me... I simply walked away from the controls and tapped on the side of my hull where the big 10' stainless steel plate was... Never even in crazy bluefin fishing out east of Chatham in recent past have I see some of the people like that out there... Made me sad but I did enjoy catching more yellowfin than most those days and also when it was all to ourselves in 15-20kt winds the day before...

Crabman

Lieutenant Commander
Nice to see this boat fishing. I thought you got it to cruise the Yacht Clubs looking for cougars.

backman

Captain
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36
My one fish of the trip, no tuna for me, can't eat marlin :)

Shawn you looked good out there amidst the million dollar babies and the go fast crowd, nice and salty looking....

image.jpg

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
Thanks for the kind words Larry... I will say she fished better than I could have imagined. Only quirk is having no core and no v-berth the forward cabin shakes a little bit as Hardie can attest too. It reminds me of an asian massage parlor without the asian girl... lol

I do also think I need a 3rd seat too, sitting under the microwave/toaster is not really a good place when you go to jump up...

Top Bottom