First Cruise

Spence

Commander
After a lot of delays too boring to waste your time with, and a couple of overnight shake-downs, my wife and I had a 5 day cruise to celebrate her significant birthday on our new 24' Seaway HT Sport.

We left Rockland, Maine on Monday evening, scooted across to Seal Cove on the back side of Vinalhaven for the first night. We spent all nights aboard, anchoring late afternoon in secluded coves. We spent the next 4 days wandering amongst the islands as far east as Bar Harbor before circumnavigating Mt Desert Island and headed back. Fishing wasn't a serious component of the trip but we ate macs and pollock whenever we wanted.

Great weather, little chance to asses the sea keeping abilities of the boat although she is a bit squirrelly-wants to broach with 2-3' chop on her stern quarter (DE boats are new to me, many years in semi V planing skiffs so probably more part of my learning curve-advice welcome). Most comfortable cruise feels like 17-22 mph (statute) but will do 33 per gps. For the 200 mile cruise we averaged 4.5 mpg mostly running the 115 Yamaha at 4000-4400 rpms. Minor glitches to sort out but overall very pleased with the new boat

Seawayva

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Tripp Angler 22' Flush Deck Cuddy
I would love to see some pics too. This boat is one I am considering. Thanks for the post!

Magnolia Sun

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Seaway 24' Hardtop Sport
Spence: Glad you're getting along with your new SW HT Sport. Eastern fixed a few problems that we had & she's fine now. Like the fact you did a 5-day cruise! No over-nights for us this year. We can get up to 30 knots with my wife & I with our Honda BF150. Sweet spot is 15-17 knots. SeawayVA: Here is a link to my Yellow SW 24' Look @ around page 6 & up:

http://downeastboatforum.com/pocket-downeast-boats-14-24ft/cancelled-crowley-beal-23-order-1483.html

Here is Spence's Green SW 24 HT Sport here:

http://downeastboatforum.com/pocket-downeast-boats-14-24ft/took-delivery-today-5336.html

Last edited:

guitarman

Commander
Boat Make
Dyer 29 Hardtop
After a lot of delays too boring to waste your time with, and a couple of overnight shake-downs, my wife and I had a 5 day cruise to celebrate her significant birthday on our new 24' Seaway HT Sport.

We left Rockland, Maine on Monday evening, scooted across to Seal Cove on the back side of Vinalhaven for the first night. We spent all nights aboard, anchoring late afternoon in secluded coves. We spent the next 4 days wandering amongst the islands as far east as Bar Harbor before circumnavigating Mt Desert Island and headed back. Fishing wasn't a serious component of the trip but we ate macs and pollock whenever we wanted.

Great weather, little chance to asses the sea keeping abilities of the boat although she is a bit squirrelly-wants to broach with 2-3' chop on her stern quarter (DE boats are new to me, many years in semi V planing skiffs so probably more part of my learning curve-advice welcome). Most comfortable cruise feels like 17-22 mph (statute) but will do 33 per gps. For the 200 mile cruise we averaged 4.5 mpg mostly running the 115 Yamaha at 4000-4400 rpms. Minor glitches to sort out but overall very pleased with the new boat
on our Seaway 25 coastal cruiser pictured here we found you only us the trim tab to get up on plane we never left them down or they catch swerve and throw some one down so we only used them to level us out when taking off . the rest of the time we never needed them. hope this helps great boats have fun with it.

http://downeastboatforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=14945&stc=1&d=1378172143

refuge cove BC 2011.jpg

Spence

Commander
Guitarman,

Great looking boat-Is yours from New England? I think there are a couple of companies using Seaway as a name.

Magnolia,

thanks for covering for me. I've had computer issues and am hoping for some on-water shots. I've been doing some customizing which is nearly done. Basically the boat will switch between 3 configurations-fishing, cruising and charter tours with a sliding cockpit roof and full clear view curtains, outriggers and planer boards. Photos to arrive soon.

guitarman

Commander
Boat Make
Dyer 29 Hardtop
Guitarman,

Great looking boat-Is yours from New England? I think there are a couple of companies using Seaway as a name.

Magnolia,

thanks for covering for me. I've had computer issues and am hoping for some on-water shots. I've been doing some customizing which is nearly done. Basically the boat will switch between 3 configurations-fishing, cruising and charter tours with a sliding cockpit roof and full clear view curtains, outriggers and planer boards. Photos to arrive soon.
this was a Harry Farmer Maine built boat one of the last Seaways he built before selling out to Eastern boats. Its a great little boat I think eastern should have keep them in there line up.

Spence

Commander
Thanks-I hadn't heard of that model and like it. It seems a bit unlikely they'll re introduce that model. Maybe too competitive with the Rosboroughs they now build?

Top Bottom