first post 39' Pettigrow

Greyhound

Ensign
First Name
Bill
Boat Make
Jarvis Newman 32 , Eastbay 49
Found this forum while searching downeast boats. My wife and i just contracted a 1991/2 Pettigrow 39 yesterday. S/TAMD74EDC ('99)
Very pretty hardtop boat with fixed sedan bulkhead.
No A/C, no gen set has funky saloon furniture that will go but otherwise
she looks sweet! Has a side door next to the helm with a Stidd Chair.

We have a 1981 32' Jarvis Newman day boat with hardtop and single gas V8 that is very healthy if you interested.

1070664_0_170820101329_2.jpg

osprey47

Lieutenant Commander
First Name
Joe
Boat Make
BHM 36 w/ Yanmar 6LYA-STE
Is the boat in Irvington? We looked at her in the fall. Looked well cared for. If you raise one of those berths you can make it a double and convert the other into a single settee with lots of storage under and behind. We were a little put off by the fuel consumption otherwise we might well have done the deal. Enjoy the boat.

Greyhound

Ensign
First Name
Bill
Boat Make
Is the boat in Irvington? We looked at her in the fall. Looked well cared for. If you raise one of those berths you can make it a double and convert the other into a single settee with lots of storage under and behind. We were a little put off by the fuel consumption otherwise we might well have done the deal. Enjoy the boat.

Yes she is in Irvington. The boat has some strange features but I like the power, side door and galley up. Lack of equipment will take some time. She is built like a tank with impressive cockpit drainage, systems and build. We have been cruising on a sailboat so its time to burn some fuel. Volvo is electronic so that is a plus

Welcome aboard Grayhound :)
Thank you sir. Need to get my first 100 posts on the books

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
Think content over numbers....

48lobster

Lieutenant
The tamd74 volvo I would be vary way of. Yankin too much power from that block. Problems with them within the maine lobster fleet.

Greyhound

Ensign
First Name
Bill
Boat Make
The tamd74 volvo I would be vary way of. Yankin too much power from that block. Problems with them within the maine lobster fleet.
Thanks for the tip. In the pleasure boat market none of the choices are without issues. Cats have coolers failing, Cummins are reliable but noisy, Yanmars turn up too high... Hopefully cruising at 2100 this motor will hold up. I am more concerned about the boat being on the hard for 3 years. Cylinders rusting, fuel getting nasty... I have a good engine surveyor looking her over.

tunafishhkg

Captain
Boat Make
35 Duffy
I have the 74CEDC 450HP that has been a great engine with just a few issues that were known by being a member of Boatdiesel so when they happened, got solved with min down time or expensive dealer mechanic. I never saw a lot of post on the 74-75 Volvo series on boatdiesel maybe due to number of units out there. Most post I have read on the web were complaints about the price of parts LOL. Like said, all engines have weaknesses but prop them correctly (100-150RPM over rated FULL load), Clean fuel, keep fresh water in system when not in use, and keep the aftercooler/heat exchanger cleaned every 3-4 yrs from the beginning and maintain it, keep an eye on the known weak points, you will beat the odds. On this engine, the ECM boost sensor tee, and idler bearing are some of the watch and spare part items. Being used, you have no control over the past and thats what the engine survey hopefully will pick up on to help you decide or plan for price wise. They say the nut behind the wheel for a reason LOL Welcome and good luck!

DBM

Commander
Lite User
Top Bottom