Fishermens forum Rockland

Palawanbound

Lieutenant
Boat Make
30 ft Flowers
I would like to go but I am afraid the blood pressure wouldn't take it!One of the topics will be funding a new marketing scheme to sell & promote lobsters.Let's see half of Europe is going bankrupt,Japan is still glowing in the dark & many people are still homeless from the tsunami & your going to promote lobsters to who?WE are screwed,now the gov't is going to get involved & be prepared to pay & pay dearly.I was in Augusta when we were told that trap tags would NEVER go up & remain at ten cents,they are now at 50 cents & with the new marketting plan we will be lucky if they stop at 1 dollar.They said in the beginning that they wanted to raise one million the first year & within 3 years get to the goal of 3 million,now they are proposing 3 million to start out & trust me it won't go down it will keep going up & it will be just what we got out of the lobster promotional council,nothing except a big bill to send people on vacation trips around the world.We need to do something but spending millions of dollars in an economy that is struggling is not the answer & depending on the gov't will only lead to more restrictions & regulations that will only put most of us out & in the long run that is what they probably want.I have only a few more years left but I would like to think that the generations coming behind will be able to fish without having to jump through hoops & regulated to death,time will tell.

jim

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
48ft Dixon
.I have only a few more years left but I would like to think that the generations coming behind will be able to fish without having to jump through hoops & regulated to death,time will tell.

Way too late for that.

lobstercatcher

Rear Admiral
Sad to say they don't want us to fish !!!

Just think of the ocean front properties that can get developed in place of working people earning a living. All you have to do is look at Boston fish pier. It is 1/10 the size it was 30 years ago and sky scrapers are standing were lobsters use to get sold/

Trap tags in Ma are 18 cents. We buy direct from the company that makes them. I don't think they have gone up since day one.

Palawanbound

Lieutenant
Boat Make
30 ft Flowers
I remember the meeting when the commissioner told us when they started the trap tag foolishness that they would be 10 cents & this price would NEVER go up.Then along came the right or for some of us the wrong whale & low & behold another increase to help fund the entangled whale project.We have been paying a promotion council quite a bit of money to promote lobsters but in all the time they have been around as far as I am concerned they haven't done shit for me.This new idea is a bunch of BS,if the big boys had gone on vacation for a week or two like the dealers asked what happened last summer might have been less painful but now that some of the greedy pricks in this business are crying to the dept. of marine resources the rest of us are going to take another one for the team.No one told anyone to go buy a $500,000 boat or build a million dollar home or a condo in Florida,we are in a business that can change from one day to the next,it is what it is.Back in the early 90's I had made enough money to buy a new boat 600 mostly new traps & I went to the Philippines when I wanted to but when 2 fishermen drowned & because marine patrol doesn't dive over 60 feet us local divers did the job,we were in 110 ft. looking for one lobsterman & 85 ft a few years later on the other lobsterman,I got bent & needed to get to the hyperbaric chamber in Sanford,I damn near died & lost everything.I couldn't even get a ride to the hospital & now I am 52 & still paying dearly.I have been 2 years finishing off my 30 ft South Shore & I am allowed 550 traps & will do what I can,no one here wants to go with me because I spend as much time at the VA hospital then I do on the boat but it is my life to be on the water doing what I love.We are going to have to start paying attention & realize that we are lucky to be doing what we are doing & stop being so greedy,for once if we could all work together in this fishery we can make things happen without expecting the state or feds to stick there nose in because once they do it is over,just look at some of the other fisheries.I don't want to fight or squabble with anyone I just want to go haul my traps enjoy the view & keep the wolves fed,I like having lights & watchin Wicked Tuna!

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
Just imagine how screwed up the lobster fishery would be if the recreational guys could catch them with fishing rods :eek:

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
Just imagine how screwed up the lobster fishery would be if the recreational guys could catch them with fishing rods :eek: All those quaint lobster boats moored out in harbors would then be the enemy of those sport lobstermen !! It always struck me funny when the rec guys would line up at the fish traps to buy live bunkers(pogys) for striped bass baits but when the traps caught weakfish, bluefish, butters or whatever they were those greedy good for nuthin' fish trap commercial fishermen raping the ocean !! After 42 years of commercial fishing i guess i should realize its never going to end.

Palawanbound

Lieutenant
Boat Make
30 ft Flowers
Rec guys can have 5 traps & relatives go together,I know one family that where hauling 15 traps & at times were catching between 50 to 100 lbs.,I guess they like eating lobsters 7 days a week.

Top Bottom