Fishing west coast FLA

First Name
Nick
Boat Make
25 Coombs Cove……unfinished.
Hey Guys, heading down to Florida with the wife and kiddos to visit my parents for thanksgiving. Been down a handful of times the past few years and haven’t gone fishing once.

Looking to take the kids out for some inshore fishing, think small, they are 3,5, and 8. Dad has a 15’ Carolina and we’re right in a canal in Port Charlotte.

Where to go? What am I fishing for? And what do I need for gear?

Looking to have a good time more than anything, not looking for a trophy!

Thanks in advance!!

SUBH2OHNTR

Deckhand
I’m about 150 miles north and don’t know that area very good fishing wise. I have cruised through there a few times though. From what I have heard the target species will probably be snook and redfish. Up here snook like to hang around docks and I see guys casting under docks from their boats all the time. I think they use live shrimp for bait but not sure as I don’t do any inshore fishing.

Canyondiver

1st Mate
First Name
John
There should be quite a few species to target.

Time of year will determine what those are, and what tackle.

Live shrimp from shore work for everything.

Spec (weakfish), ladyfish, jacks, snook, snapper, pinfish, snapper blues, catfish…

Check in at the local tackle shops and they'll get you set up.

You’ll want a floating bait bucket/car, or 5gsl pail and aerator to keep your baits alive.

Have a great trip!

First Name
Nick
Boat Make
There should be quite a few species to target.

Time of year will determine what those are, and what tackle.

Live shrimp from shore work for everything.

Spec (weakfish), ladyfish, jacks, snook, snapper, pinfish, snapper blues, catfish…

Check in at the local tackle shops and they'll get you set up.

You’ll want a floating bait bucket/car, or 5gsl pail and aerator to keep your baits alive.

Have a great trip!
Thanks for the info!

xbskt

Admiral
First Name
Jeff
Boat Make
13 Whaler, 14 Salty Boats, 28 Crowley Beal, 36 Northern Bay. WTF!?!
If the house has a dock you can try casting a shrimp across the canal to the opposite dock. They tend to hide in the shade but there are fish in the canals plenty enough for the kids. Cruise the canals in the 15 with a bait rigged and keep an eye out for activity especially in and around overhanging trees and mangroves.
We are new to the area also just on the south side of the Peace river in Punta Gorda. Whole different world but plenty of action from what I have seen. Just need to get the boat for down there that doesn't draw 4 ft. :)
Good on you for taking the little ones out. Enjoy!

First Name
Nick
Boat Make
If the house has a dock you can try casting a shrimp across the canal to the opposite dock. They tend to hide in the shade but there are fish in the canals plenty enough for the kids. Cruise the canals in the 15 with a bait rigged and keep an eye out for activity especially in and around overhanging trees and mangroves.
We are new to the area also just on the south side of the Peace river in Punta Gorda. Whole different world but plenty of action from what I have seen. Just need to get the boat for down there that doesn't draw 4 ft. :)
Good on you for taking the little ones out. Enjoy!

Little action in the canal today, pitching a little top water across to the other side, of course didn’t get any pictures.
I’m blown away by the amount of destruction down here, as we were flying in you can see every other house with a blue tarp on the roof. Also the roads are lined with everything from palm trees to furniture. It’s a sad site- lots of people displaced- can’t imagine where to begin with the clean up.

Hopefully everything is ok for you guys.

xbskt

Admiral
First Name
Jeff
Boat Make
13 Whaler, 14 Salty Boats, 28 Crowley Beal, 36 Northern Bay. WTF!?!
Little action in the canal today, pitching a little top water across to the other side, of course didn’t get any pictures.
I’m blown away by the amount of destruction down here, as we were flying in you can see every other house with a blue tarp on the roof. Also the roads are lined with everything from palm trees to furniture. It’s a sad site- lots of people displaced- can’t imagine where to begin with the clean up.

Hopefully everything is ok for you guys.
We made out ok. Roof and pool cage. Lost some trees but no damage inside. Could have been much worse. I am a realist. We are lucky to have our primary home so no complaints about damage to the second home. Some folks don't have any home left.
Keep casting!

Top Bottom