Fixer Uppers

Estimator

Commander
Boat Make
43 Torres
As my search continues I wanted some opinions on an idea.

I came across a possible boat but here is the deal:

Boat has brand new power and generator but it is in "commercial condition" I would figure on refinshing the outer hull, new non skid, dressing up the cockpit and doing the wheel house over.
The boat over all is the layout I want, size I want and with a little love could be my next rig.

Am I crazy to get invloved in this?
I am a general contractor so doing any kind of woodwork or cabinetry would be easy. I would have to look to have any glass work and other finish work done. Boat is 1999 40' H&H

Any idea what the costs could run for the above work.

I am not looking for a yacht finish, just a clean down east that I can fish and looks good.

Thanks
Anthony

Blitzen

Admiral
Boat Make
Flowers Boat Works 46 hull #1, Flowers Boat Works 36 hull #1, Wayne Beal 28 Hull #1, Repco 30 1968,
Anthony,
The door is wide open and the sky is the limit on your question. You could be looking at 50 to 100 grand to fix it up depending on how much you want to do. I would look at it like this, if you can buy it and use it the way that it is, then you can then pick your projects as time and money is available and not try and do it all at once. But if you just want a painted plywood interior and a roller coat of nonskid than forget what I said.
With my own boat I still can't get over how much foam costs for cushions and bunks and that didn't include the labor to have it all made. There are so many little details that all add up that don't seem like much up front.
Good luck with your search.

Helen L

Commander
I bought a fixer upper this past August. 47' Dixon. It's spent its life commercial fishing and will continue to, but it definitely needed a lot of work. I'm young, 25, and definitely not rich. I'm doing all the work myself; more fuel tanks, new deck, rails, wheelhouse, and gel coat. You don't need to spend 50k to fix a boat up yourself. My budget is $20k, and that's for EVERYTHING. Aluminum framed windows, door, life raft, hauler, electronics, deck hatches, etc. If you look hard enough, you will find great deals out there on parts. I have 2 open arrays going on. Both are used and only a few years old. Life raft is also used and repacked, rated for 8 offshore. I got my tower and pulpit for $2k. As for the glass work, I bet you could do it yourself. It's not really that hard. Talk to Joe at Merton's Fiberglass. He has great prices and can guide you through your project. He has helped me out and a lot of my friends and their projects. Although my boat will still be a commercial boat, I'm finishing the inside with a full galley, bunk, TV, Xbox....all the toys. Wrap around helm, flush mounted computers and electronics. Once I got past the "Oh shit" moment delivering the boat, everything works out pretty well. Good luck, don't be afraid of a project!

MDI45

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
45MDI /28WB
Estimator,If the running gear is new its structurally sound its the way to go..cosmetic stuff like gel coat is easy stuff...

WoundUpMarine

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
John
Boat Make
26' Duffy, 23' Seaway, 14' Holland

Capt. Rick

Commander
Boat Make
31 RP Willis Beal
I think I know the boat you are looking at - it has a fresh Cummins C series motor? Nice boat. All depends on how much you can get it for and whether you want to take the time necessary to do the work. Most likely it will cost you more than you think and longer than you think to get the work done - But if you can get her at the right price, end of the day you have yourself a great boat with fresh power.

Last edited:

tunaorlater

Admiral
Boat Make
40' Northern bay
I have spent somewhere around 75k getting my Northern Bay where it is now. Thats doing all the work inhouse besides the cusions and winter cover. In the end I wish I had bought a new hull and finished it, I would have the same boat worth more money on the resale.

tashmoo2

Commander
fixer upper

this is the 42 Bruno at Montauk before it was converted to a gillnetter. I think it is still for sale

Estimator

Commander
Boat Make
43 Torres
Thanks

Thanks for all the advice so far. Boat has a new volvo in it. I am on the fence on my decision though. I also found out it was a slower cruise than I am looking for.

I promised myself not to settle just to get a new boat so I am not 100% sure on my next move.

There is a 36 beal that is nice for sale in Mass but no generator 280k. Even with a good deal still some work to do.
I like the Wake but no lower station (42 wesmac)
This fixer upper may be more than I want to "fix up"
New build will end up costing too much to go "all in"

Any other ideas?
I am in the 150-250k range for price. Really want cockpit station and a generator is a must. Like a descent cruise, simple interior not a big fan of wood in the house.

Blitzen

Admiral
Boat Make
Flowers Boat Works 46 hull #1, Flowers Boat Works 36 hull #1, Wayne Beal 28 Hull #1, Repco 30 1968,
Any other ideas?
I am in the 150-250k range for price. Really want cockpit station and a generator is a must. Like a descent cruise, simple interior not a big fan of wood in the house.

I know prices have gone up but have you considered talking with Ken again to see if maybe you could get something unfinished but at least set up the way you want it and cosmetically finish it later?

Whatta Catch

Lieutenant Commander
Website
www.whattacatch.com
Boat Make
40' H and H, 31 JC and 25' Carolina Skiff
I looked at the Far East in the Spring. It had a new Volvo in her, and needed a good cleaning and some other work but if the price is right it would be a great boat. The Engine alone was probably 80,000 installed give or take. It just was alittle too crued for me.

MDI45

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
45MDI /28WB
Are you guys talking about Alex's Far East from atlantic beach??..thats not 40...it's a 1997 38 footer

Tunascapes

Commander
Are you guys talking about Alex's Far East from atlantic beach??..thats not 40...it's a 1997 38 footer

That's why I asked. The ad I looked at many many times was a 38 1997 but made the connection with the fresh power. Looked like a great boat. New deck gel coat, new cabinets behind the helm and a good cleaning would make it much better. Good luck if you pursue.

Top Bottom