Flipped Boat at Ptown

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 226, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60

dreamalaska

Ensign
First Name
Mike
Everyone wants to learn from a boat sinking such as this, to avoid future problems. I look forward to hearing about the cause or causes.

"Those who do not study history are doomed to repeat it".
Exactly. Seeing the rescue photograph reinforces my desire to buy a containerized life raft and not depend solely on my inflatable zodiac dinghy. Listening to that mayday call you can visualize the stress and panic from the captain. You obviously don’t have time to sit and ponder your next step…

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 226, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60
Last edited:

Downrigga

Admiral
Boat Make
36' NB
Hey, got some feedback that some boys up here are pissed about this thread - whatever.

But going to try and delete it - apologies to anyone offended - maybe channel 5, Cape Cod Times, etc etc shouldn’t report on this - just saying

Well, can’t figure out how to delete it, so deleted my posts which would allow deletion - original post can’t figure out how to delete
You didnt offend anyone so dont lose any sleep over it.

Old Mud

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Don
Boat Make
Ho Made

gary2

Lieutenant
I'm confused. I'm guessing the "boys up here" are the boaters on Ptown, but, not sure. What are they pissed about?

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make

Old Mud

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Don
Boat Make
Ho Made

tsharac

Commander
First Name
Tim
Boat Make
1976 20' Eastporter; 1976 16' Stratford dory
I'm always interested in the cause or suspected cause. That's why i read all the USCG "Consequences" reports. Always gets one to think of his own situation or equipment.

I hate when i don't hear about the end cause or results. Like the boat that went down off Hummarock a few months ago. I searched but couldn't find any follow up.
Can you share a link to these USCG reports?

Fishonnelsons

Rear Admiral
Lite User
Website
Www.bethanncharters.com
First Name
Rich
Boat Make
38 Wesmac, 29 Dyer

c1steve

Rear Admiral
According to the video of the Boat US towboat operator, boat started taking on water and the crew was not able to get the traps off the deck fast enough to shut the thru hulls.

So most likely a hose or possibly a thru hull failed. This shows why being able to reach all your thru hulls is important. I installed Groco electric/manual seacocks on a friends boat a few years ago, and they are great. Groco has "Backing Blocks" so the seacocks can be bolted in with no bolt heads on the outside. Pretty much a failsafe solution, and you can shut off the valves from the helm.

Last edited:
Reactions: jim

Snake8

Commander
Not for nothing, but imho this kind of thing is one of the consequences of rule changes like the whale closure. Ive never seen guys stacking as high as they are this year in a frenzy to get gear in. Its a nice notion that you can stack x number of traps and still have access to all your hatches and thru hulls, but in practice its not realistic. There are always unintended consequences.

Top Bottom