Floscan install

Capt. Lou

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
40 H&H "Julia G"
Just wondering if my install of the return sensor is any good? I had to put a 90* elbow on each end and be creative with the hose. Flow is from right to left in picture. The sensor is below the manifold but not below the actual return lines to the tanks. Thoughts from anyone that has done this?

image.jpg

Seaweags

Lieutenant
just ordered a flowscan the other day is the wiring part pretty straight forward also did you have to do alot of calibrations trying to figure out fuel burn to match the new unit?

Raider Ronnie

Vice Admiral
Lite User
Website
www.bostonharborcharters.com
Boat Make
33 Flowers.

Capt. Lou

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
40 H&H "Julia G"
Wiring and plumbing of floscan is complete. Boat is still on the hard. I fired it up yesterday and everything seems fine. I just need to calibrate it now. I need to find some info on what the number of pulses is per crank shaft revolutions for my engine. Install seemed pretty straight forward. Here is where I mounted the forward flow sensor. Right in front of engine up against the bulkhead.

image.jpg

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
Doesn't make a crap of difference in the real world but wasn't there a question on my USCG Captain license test, saying that street elbows can't be used in fuel systems? I wish I had a good way to search CFR's but I've never found it!

I installed one on a Mack E9 and had two units prior installed by a marina. I was happy with them and even out of the box was accurate. I imagine that might not be the case for all but will be watching the thread as I think I want to add one here.

Which unit did you go with, the basic GPH display or more advanced? I was impressed with the basic pricing.

Capt. Lou

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
40 H&H "Julia G"
Doesn't make a crap of difference in the real world but wasn't there a question on my USCG Captain license test, saying that street elbows can't be used in fuel systems? I wish I had a good way to search CFR's but I've never found it!

I installed one on a Mack E9 and had two units prior installed by a marina. I was happy with them and even out of the box was accurate. I imagine that might not be the case for all but will be watching the thread as I think I want to add one here.

Which unit did you go with, the basic GPH display or more advanced? I was impressed with the basic pricing.

I went with the 7600 unit which has the digital tach and display I bought of a member here. I'll post more info as I go along

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
I like the digital tach forgot about that was just thinking about the nmpg calculation... Sweet...

My tach is on the fritz but think its power issue/connection.

Seaweags

Lieutenant
shawn you were impressed with pricing, i must of bought the cadillac model ,called flowscan directly they told me i needed a 960m-3cb-2k for my cummings 6cta8.3diamond its was $1535.00 shipped to my house cant believe there that much more money then gas ones.should have it next week ,then hopefully do install week after. ill be anxious to see what i really burn as opposed to guessing.rite now i figure about 10 to 12 gph at 2200rpms pushing a 36 wayne beal at 16.5 to 17knts

Capt. Lou

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
40 H&H "Julia G"
I'm having a hard time calibrating the tach! directions say if your calibrating to an existing tach you can just tune the red and green buttons on back to get it close enough. I may have it wired wrong, needed a break! try again tomorrow...

Capt. Lou

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
40 H&H "Julia G"
floscan tech support is excellent. I don't need to do the in depth calibration if i am keeping my existing tach so all i need to do is tune it to match with the red and green dials. My problem was wiring the tach. one method is to wire both gauge wires orange and violet to the signal wire on back of existing tach, the other is to run the violet to the neg bus bar. I did bot before doing the finishing wiring. Fired up boat both ways. When i did it with the violet to the bus bar i saw all 9999 on tach and assumed there was a problem because wired the other way there was just one 0. Anyway 3 seconds on phone with tech and he said the 9999's is what you want and then tune from there! took 5 min to fix now everything is working. splashing next week at which time i will post numbers.

Capt. Lou

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
40 H&H "Julia G"
took a good long cruise today. Seems as though 17 knots is my sweet spot. 17 knots and floscan is reading 13 gph. go up to 18 it goes to 16gph, 19 and its 18gph, 20 and its 19.5gph. also at 16 knots its still 13gph. All good news to me.

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
Nice work Lou. Love the videos and you are obviously happy with it.

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
So my tach doesnt work, my hour meter went from 5500hrs to 300hrs so need a new one. I know I get in some condition with the weather and my fuel goes from like 1.5GPH to 3GPH and want to correct that because I have more time than I do have money. I think for $1000 its time to add this on.

Great post, love the video, perfect! Great job.

chortle

Captain
Boat Make
Herreshoff Coquina, 1972 Jarvis Newman 36, PT11
If you want to find something in a document like the CFR save a copy of it as a .pdf file and you can search the document for any word or series of words. Use Shift+Ctrl+f to get the pop up for searching or go to Edit in the upper left of your screen and select Advanced Search from the menu. Cheers.

Capt. Lou

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
40 H&H "Julia G"
So my tach doesnt work, my hour meter went from 5500hrs to 300hrs so need a new one. I know I get in some condition with the weather and my fuel goes from like 1.5GPH to 3GPH and want to correct that because I have more time than I do have money. I think for $1000 its time to add this on.

Great post, love the video, perfect! Great job.

Thanks! I'll tell you it's one of the best things I have added since buying the boat. I run (4) 80 gal tanks. It was hard keeping track of the fuel on big trips 3-4 hour cruise each way and 6 hours trolling. I was constantly sticking the tanks worried I would run out. Now I have the re settable meter on the floscan as well as a working hour meter. One less thing

Top Bottom