Flush mounted LED's

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
So one problem I notice I am having is when fish are boatside at night is seeing them. Usually my spreader lights have covered this and sure still had a little black next to the boat. However this time I notice that with the high shear I can have something right at the boat, at the water level and have no idea what it is.

Granted I will probably just put a spreader light up on the side of the house looking back and to the side to narrow that gap...

I was looking at putting one of these on the side of the boat, would be flush under the rail I think. Just shining out like the old docking lights.

Granted the glare would probably be a killer and probably do this as a test first before I cut the whole.

Any thoughts?

Rigid Industries M Series Flush Mount Dually D2 LED Single Driving Beam 71131 | eBay

hntrss

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31 Duffy
I just put a bunch of them on my Duffy and they are very nice. I got 2 bars, and 4 flush mounts. I got a 2 pack of SR-Q's for the everyday cockpit duty and they exceeded my expectations. Very nicely built. I will get you some pics if you want. One of these with a flood lens will work perfectly. I used the diffused to spread light more evenly. They claim 50,000 hours of life

blinsquirrel

Lieutenant Commander
Rigid marine

I have been looking for a while at rigid marine lights for my BHM...so many options. Would love to see some pics of the lights you installed. I'm looking for led spreaders and some cockpit lights for under the gunwale.

Blacktide

Commander
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36
Hey Shawn I had the same problem as you when I first got my boat. I originally had 3 500w spreader lights on the roof. I lost a nice Allison at my transom due to that shadow. I went with the cheep underwater lights and they worked out great.

FVSD

Lieutenant Commander
I have three of these and they are rugged and work great. I have dual 3000 lumen floods on the side and a larger bar version pointed from the cabin aft. I would get the wide or flood version to light up the sides you may not have enough distance to spread out the beam. They will raise herring too but not quite as well as MH lights.

WC1966

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Webbers Cove 34
Suggestion

A friend mounted his lights on a bracket that mounts on the roof and is 90 degrees so that the light extends over the side and has some adjustment built is. You might be able to fab a bracket off the tower legs.

hntrss

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31 Duffy
Sean, Here are some pictures of my install. I have not had a chance to go down in the dark to get you pictures of the lights in action, but I will this week. The flush mounts are Rigid SR-Q's. The flood is a 20 inch combo, and on the bow I have a 10 inch spot.

lights-001.jpg

lights3-001.jpg

lights2-001.jpg

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
So one problem I notice I am having is when fish are boatside at night is seeing them. Usually my spreader lights have covered this and sure still had a little black next to the boat. However this time I notice that with the high shear I can have something right at the boat, at the water level and have no idea what it is.

Granted I will probably just put a spreader light up on the side of the house looking back and to the side to narrow that gap...

I was looking at putting one of these on the side of the boat, would be flush under the rail I think. Just shining out like the old docking lights.

Granted the glare would probably be a killer and probably do this as a test first before I cut the whole.

Any thoughts?

Rigid Industries M Series Flush Mount Dually D2 LED Single Driving Beam 71131 | eBay

Looks like a pretty focused light to me- might just overshoot the area in the shade. Are you talking about cutting these into the outside of your hull just below the rub rail a few feet from the transom?

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
In the meantime, instead of replacing my 4 4x6" Jabsco's I put up this one light installed 17' up on the mast shining down. WOW for a west marine light, $89 after discount it was great. I might get two more and put them down the sides.

Still have my shadow issue, but this wasnt to resolve this, it was to get rid of the 4x6 battery killers...

I do not think this is exactly it...

WEST MARINE LED Deck Flood Light at West Marine

underwater lights may not be great for me, I do not have much of the hull in the water at all... might be tough to get them in there... hmm

captinchris

Lieutenant
flush mounted LED

I Got from Ebay ........
I lovely this one is very good price and very quailty...

IMG_1420[1].jpg

IMG_1463[1].jpg

Wharf Rat

Marine Electronics 'Professional'
Forum Sponsor
Website
www.precisionmarinecenter.com
Boat Make
OPB
Hntrss, AWESOME setup, those SRQs are beasts along with the rest of the Rigid M-Series, I would love to see a pic of those in action from afar..
We've been doing a ton of Rigid LEDs for spreaders etc, and have been very happy with the various beamwidths and output. Best lumen to dollar ratio on the market. Lumitec has some decent options as well, but we've been using them for mostly under the gunnel and other exterior courtesy lights, etc. The baitwell lights is actually a nice, cheap and easy addition too, along with the Exumas and Andros LEDs.

CEShawn AKA SA, call me when you can re: SRQ flush mounts or how to solve the shadowing issue, I've got a ton of spec sheets that can show you the various beam angles from diffused/'driving'/flood/spot, etc. There are also some other options from a few other companies that we've used solve the exact problem with a few flush mount hi-intensity lights that are round flush mounts and the size of about a half-dollar. Nice shit.

Sean, Here are some pictures of my install. I have not had a chance to go down in the dark to get you pictures of the lights in action, but I will this week. The flush mounts are Rigid SR-Q's. The flood is a 20 inch combo, and on the bow I have a 10 inch spot.

Kaiser

Lieutenant Commander
Outrigger floods

I have two 175W Halogen floods that I made a chip to clip them on my outriggers.I swing them out and point them down and there is 0 shadow port and starbord. I find "lighting up" my cockpit is exactly what I dont want to do unless I am rigging a bunch of sword squids and I prefer to do that during the day.

When these poop out I will do some LEDs but these seam to be holding up very well after 3 seasons.

I also got a new LED hydroglow this year. WOW that thing rocks. Could have used that at a few Dead shows way back:D But with one of those you see EVERYTHING even at the transom.

I fished next to a guy few weeks ago that had Christmas tree lights up both riggers. That was cool but not for me

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
Trying to get my old hydroglow fixed but can't seem to get ahold of them on the website, keep forgetting to call...

LED on the outriggers, might be something Id want to look at but with my current riggers I do not think it would work... I still think I want a flush light next to the hull or perhaps a small swing out one to go down the side of the hull...

Top Bottom