Fly bridges

onthehook

Lieutenant
It seems like a lot of guys on here recommend against or don't like the idea of a fly bridge, is this a general consensus?

codfather

Lieutenant
IMO it depends on the boat and the application of use. Certain hulls don't do well with the weight up top. In addition a commercial boat has no need for a bridge. I personally love running the boat from up above as the visibility is so much better. You would be amazed at how much more you see when looking for life and setting out two anchors. The only thing I wish is that my bridge was enclosed for the winter time. Curtains suck when it gets snotty and cold. As for space, it opens up the cabin significantly. More room for passengers in the salon.

tashmoo2

Commander
Besides the visibility its good exercise going up and down the lattter if you are drifting while bottom fishing and waves do not look as big up high.

Down side is you might need a seat belt running in a good beam sea.

DBM

Commander
Lite User

liden

Lieutenant
Run with one and it'll change your life. Like when the lobster gear is pulling underwater with the outgoing tide.
It's also a beautiful thing when fighting a tuna; the visibility is fantastic.

On anchor, you just go onto the deck.

Game fisherman

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
35 Duffy low shear
Bridge

If you go with the bridge you end up alone all day, it Also makes it hard to run boat alone, nice thing about no bridge your right there to throw a line.In my case all girls on my crew, run the boat by my self even with wife and kids! Bottom line personal preference.

tunaorlater

Admiral
Boat Make
40' Northern bay
Love my bridge, but in any weather I'm down below. Gets rough fast up that high but you can't beat the visibility.

blackdiamond296

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Alan Johnson 28 w/ 260 Yanmar
I love them as an open air second station- no enclosure, just to be used on the nice days. I think keeping it bare bones & low profile up there prevents it from really affecting the boat on the drift, whch is where it will hurt you the most.

Loved being on Capt Larry's fly bridge while trolling or running home from a shark trip in calm seas. Drove home for 5 hours from up there one time, felt like driving a big ole center console :D

Toolate

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50

Dr. Chip

Commander
Boat Make
Bruno & Stillman 35
Agreed. its nice to have the option to be outside, plus my daughter and her friends love it.
In addtion I dont think it looks that bad.

seahaven

Commander
Boat Make
1984 Sisu 22
On larger boats, it is just an aesthetic thing, it is just about what looks right to you. Some DE boats to me look too tall and out of proportion with a flybridge.

On smaller boats, flybridges can really effect the handling of the vessel by shifting the vertical center of gravity too high. Realize that this is exacerbated by the fact that on that nice day, everyone on board wants to be up on the flybridge, and now you have just added 400 pounds of people 10 feet above the water. Probably not a big deal on a 10,000+ lb boat, but on a 5,000 lb 25 footer- not so great.

Flybridges, especially with an enclosure, greatly increase the effect of wind on your vessel. This is especially noticeable at anchor when the boat sails back and forth.

That all being said, it is awesome on a nice day to sit on your flybridge at anchor and catch the breeze. My kids also like doing cannonballs off of it.

Brooksie

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bruno-Stillman 35
I'm with the bridge people. I built my own and added it 15 yrs ago, it's like getting a new boat. Mine is super light maybe 125 lbs unoccupied; it did not change the handling of the boat at all. When I don't need it, I don't use it, and the boat is exactly as it was b/4; but at night or on a nice day, there is nothing like it.

seahaven

Commander
Boat Make
1984 Sisu 22
Nice looking boat, and a great example of a flybridge that is in proportion. It just looks right.

Dr. Chip

Commander
Boat Make
Bruno & Stillman 35
Great shot.
Soon for me I hope.
My goal is to have the yard in Maryland do the spring commissioning and drop by the end of April and bring the boat up to City Island the first weekend in May.
That's the plan anyway, who knows if the weather will comply (it rarely does).

Blitzen

Admiral
Boat Make
Flowers Boat Works 46 hull #1, Flowers Boat Works 36 hull #1, Wayne Beal 28 Hull #1, Repco 30 1968,
Todd is that the poor-mans flybridge?:grin:

Top Bottom