Flying Sisu

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
Had the boat moved to the back yard today. Crane crew was 4 and me and my 3 guys made 8 of us so plenty of able bodies made it a breeze. Took a little doing but there was nothing standing in the way of the 50 ton crane when it came to my little dink. Tent time. Poor neighbors...

image.jpg

Pamlico

Lieutenant
Boat Make
1979 SISU 22, Perkins 4.236
The fun begins! Got to get her finished before it's time to cut the grass next spring.

Keelboater

Admiral
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman
Did you have a permit for that? LOL! I'll give you fair warning that the grass will grow faster under that hull in the shade than it will out in the open. Tick, tock! Awesome job. I feel for my neighbors too. That's why I whimped out and decided to store the Coastal at the marina this winter.......because they have already been staring at the Bertram for a couple of years. You are a good neighbor for sure.

Keelboater

Admiral
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman
Forgot to mention one very important thing: be sure to set the alarm on that thing because you never know when somebody will try to steal it!

Roy-c

Commander
Oh yeah!!! My neighbors have suffered through my hobby for years. LOL. We have had at various times a 24', a 37' and presently a 19' ( the 44' Stanley won't fit ) and various tenders and kid's small sailboats in the yard. The neighbors have been very gracious through it all. (I guess they figure it's too late to change me at this point and it doesn't hurt that I plow their driveways in the Winter)

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
It was a great day and the leaves are in full swing here. I am not sure if the Town has a tent/temp structure permit requirement but I am not asking. I have a little more than 1/3 acre and the boat is about 25' from the back prop line so its well with my lot (not like the pulpit is hanging over their deck or something) but its close-ish so hoping for the best.

Forgot to mention that the crane operator told me that the boat was just under 8000 lbs on his scale. No engine/trans/fuel tanks/plumbing of any sort/cushions/water/some of cabin seating has been removed so I figure the boat will be back up around 10500 when all of that crap goes back in.

I had it all set up so they could fly the old engine and gear out of the cockpit and put the new engine back up there too so that is all out of the way. Just have to finish cleaning the bilge and get to painting it so I can start putting it all back together. Before grass is growing... hopefully.

Keelboater

Admiral
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman
How many people did it take to erect the boa house? Nice job fore a temp shelter. How did your tarp fit? How are the ends closed off? Seperate tarps? Looks good!

tunaorlater

Admiral
Boat Make
40' Northern bay
Love the OSHA approved ladder on saw horses! I believe too late just raised the bar on this winters rebuilds! Time for the bill's to step up...........:)

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
Yes ridge is sagging and it actually takes a turn towards the garage by a couple inches TBH. See the steel stakes in the yard in the front of the picture? Thats the form we used to make the bents so the low tech approach and quality of spruce today yielded some odd curves here and there. We also just eyeballed the intermediate blocking so again the curves were not allthe same. Just fine for a tarped shed.

Ridge is just over 20' from the lawn so the OSHA violations were necessary to get the tarp on. Covered the sharp corners of the ridge with some carpet padding and pulled a 40 x 60 tarp over it nailed that to the bottom plate under the bow and S side of the boat and then used a 20x25 tarp for the aft gable wall (that was on before the big one). The P side against the garage was about 5' short of the ground so some scrap tarps were cut up to fill that in.

Just finished a new house and save the temp stairs we made so re-used those to make a nice entry into the shed. Still have to finish that but the heavy lifting is done. Just didnt want to climb a ladder up and over all winter.

Think the materials were about $650 total and it took me and 2 other guys about a day and a half total to get it all done. Next time that would be 1 day I think. Went to party last night and showed a couple pics to some boating friends to see if I could interest anyone in buying the whole setup from me for next year. Pretty sure there will be a disco ball and lazy boys in the cockpit at some point in there.

image.jpg

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
It will be interesting to see how that shed takes some good wind ?? It sure does look good i'd like to have one here but we get too much wind all winter i think it would take off or blow down.

Top Bottom