Foghorn Controller

Robo

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
1985 31' BHM
I'm thinking about putting in an automatic foghorn. Be nice not to have to keep track of the horn.Wondering if anyone has one. Hamilton has Fog mate, before I pull the trigger just wondering if anybody has that and did not like it. Not many using a horn in the fog around me but I still do. Plenty of Sea Rays doing 25 knots in dense fog. Pretty stupid, but then ya can't fix stupid.
Robo

Genius

Admiral
First Name
David
Boat Make
32 Morse Cove
Old raymarine unit at work. On my workboat I use my icom M506 vhf functions

image.jpg

Robo

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
1985 31' BHM
You need a loud hauler for that?
I don't have one. Don't have a good spot to put one
Robo

capt38

Lieutenant
Boat Make
31' Eastern / 18' Tripp
You need a loud hauler for that?
I don't have one. Don't have a good spot to put one
Robo
When I bought my existing boat, it only had one VHF, a bare bones unit. I wanted the safety of a backup radio, so I added one that had an AIS receiver along with a loud hailer and fog signals. Hooked up an external speaker/horn and I now have all the functions I need.

Robo

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
1985 31' BHM
I have a single trumpet electric horn hooked up thru a push button. I have to lay down my radar mast to get the boat from home to launch. A bit of a project to run more wire up to and thru the mast, so trying to avoid more stuff on the mast ceiling in the overhead too. Thinking automate the push button would be easier.
Robo

Genius

Admiral
First Name
David
Boat Make
32 Morse Cove
I have a single trumpet electric horn hooked up thru a push button. I have to lay down my radar mast to get the boat from home to launch. A bit of a project to run more wire up to and thru the mast, so trying to avoid more stuff on the mast ceiling in the overhead too. Thinking automate the push button would be easier.
Robo
it meets the tone requirements?

Baggywrinkle

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
RP Boat Shop Willis Beal 31
I'm thinking about putting in an automatic foghorn. Be nice not to have to keep track of the horn.Wondering if anyone has one. Hamilton has Fog mate, before I pull the trigger just wondering if anybody has that and did not like it. Not many using a horn in the fog around me but I still do. Plenty of Sea Rays doing 25 knots in dense fog. Pretty stupid, but then ya can't fix stupid.
Robo
I like using the auto fog horn on my VHF/Hailer.
If you don't have a hailer, you will find the "listening" function is very useful when carefully making way in thick fog.
The hailer loudspeaker horns are pretty inexpensive.

Robo

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
1985 31' BHM
The listening function is something I had not considered. Guess I will look at a hailer.
Thanks guys
Robo

Top Bottom