Foolish Pleasure

dogtagger

Lieutenant
Driving through Ellsworth today and saw this beauty sitting in a parking lot. Anyone have the lowdown?

20130714_185129_resized.jpg

20130714_185200_resized.jpg

lobstercatcher

Rear Admiral
Its just one of the local lobster boats:D He likes getting to the traps first.

And being the fastest lobsterboat made. I think it does 65 to 70 mph. He gets there quick!

Bill

Founder
Boat Make
27 Terry Jason
He was up at Searsport races . Travis would be able to fill you in more but when you google lobster boat races. He shows up. I have a video of him from the Searsport race over the weekend. I will upload on YouTube and the share it on here tomorrow.

dogtagger

Lieutenant
If I knew the boat I would have spent a lot more time checking it out. Wow, that thing is incredible. Looks like it got a little squirly in the Jonesport race this year!

traditions

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 Holland
I think that would have been his first race boat ,the Lorna R.I think they used her as the plug for this boat.The Lorna R was Galen's father's boat I believe.Years ago we were at Pemaquid,and I got to look in Lorna,and she was hels together with some 2x6's in a box frame.She was in tough shape.If I remember right they sunk her down in the reach arounf that time.

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
It's true, not much there in terms of boat really. Just enough to keep it above the water. She does really good for what she is, backs down and maneuvers well.

There has always been a schism between commercial and non commercial guys in the races. This boat really drove a wedge between them. So many heated "discussions", so many.

But like it was brought up all those years ago in the back room of a restaurant, packed full of racers, many moons before the idea even crept out to resurrect the Lorna R - its a lobster BOAT race, not a lobster license race.

How does everyone here feel about it? Should the races be for commercial working boats only?

Tuna Hooker

Lieutenant
I think they should be for anyone who wants to race but maybe there should be classes to give each boat a fighting chance. For all I know there may already be some kind of division of classes between the boats, unfortunately I have to work weekends so I've never been to any of the races so I don't know how there set up. At the very least I think there should be diesel and gasoline classes. Someone school me on how the races are setup and divided so I stop making myself look like an idiot.

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
Factory yes, although if you tweak your engine it would be nice to be gentlemen about it and declare your current horsepower

Nine times out of ten however, that doesn't happen

But then when you come out in an AD stating 200 hp more than you just raced... well then you get moved.

Not naming names

Just sayin'

Top Bottom