For all of you 42' H&H Wide Fans

FPTMarineDiesel

Commodore
Here is a picture of a recent new boat launch in Bass Harbor of a dealer of mine. He is not only one of the owner operator of the marine dealership (James Rich Boatyard), but also a lobsterman in the community and this is his new boat. Performance was very good, 23.5 knots at cruise speed of 2100 rpm. 20.5 knots at 1900 rpm with an 18.5 gph fuel burn. WOT speeds of 26 knots against the tide and 27 knots with the tide at 2430 rpm.

Specs:
Engine- FPT Cursor 13 750 Mhp @ 2400 rpm Commercial EPA Tier 2 compliant
Reverse Gear - TD 5095A 2.5:1 ratio
Prop - 34" x 40" 4 blade
Weight - unavailable but she is big and will scallop drag also, not super light
LOA - 42'
LWL - 40'
Beam - 17' 2"
Hull - H&H Marine of Steuben/Milbridge ME
Finisher - Jamie Thurlow and James Rich Boatyard

WOT 42' Wide JT_2.jpg

Stern Photo 42' Wide JT.jpg

Bow 42' Wide JT.jpg

Last edited:

lobstercatcher

Admiral
Wow! Under 1gal a KM! She runs nice & flat too, very nice.

What is a km?

For that matter.. how much horse power does this boat have? The fuel burn looks real low for those speeds.

You young guys will have to covert the thread conversation into USA talk for the old timers:D

lobstercatcher

Admiral
A short video after some full speed runs. Not very good resolution but gives you an idea of what the boat looks like idling through the water at idle speeds.

Family Tradition video of 42' H&H Wide with FPT Cursor 13 750 Mhp engine in Bass Harbor Maine - YouTube

Peter

This is one of my top choices for a next boat. All I need is conformation of having a spot to put it in the harbor...... money:D and sell a boat. Thats not that much holding me back,,, It just took 25 years to move up in the harbor from 35ft to 38 ft.

Also if you are gathering info to post.. can you find out how slow the boat is at idle speed. I fish trawls and it doesn't work if the boat goes 7 kts at a idle. I can't run well anymore.. I pretty much have walk speed.

Last edited:

Tuna Pursuit

Admiral
Website
www.oliverwelding.com
Boat Make
Duffy
What is a km?

For that matter.. how much horse power does this boat have? The fuel burn looks real low for those speeds.

You young guys will have to covert the thread conversation into USA talk for the old timers:D

Under 1 gal per nautical mile, I meant NM, I was thinking knot so I put KM, good catch(getting old myself). Looks like 750 mhp which is metric HP which is about 760.5 us HP.

lobstercatcher

Admiral
I know, and a 42' boat.

There is a handful of these boats in the surrounding harbors here.. They all get great fuel burn for the size boat and perform well in all sea conditions, I don't need that much HP. I'd probably be putting around at the speed showing in the first part of the video:D Wonder how fast that is?

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH.. Piscataqua and Merrimack Rivers
Boat Make
27 H&H with Cummins QSB 5.9 480 power
Very nice looking rig & its so big it needs 4 scuppers !!

Steve,

With all due respect :D....you best get some DE "definitions" down pat unless you want Travis correcting you ! confused:

What you refer to as "scuppers" are not "scuppers" really but "CLEARING PORTS" !!

I was reminded by Travis that the word scupper relates to SAILBOATS!!!:rolleyes:

You being a friend and all I figured I'd give ya a heads up !!;)

btw, I post this in jest !!! LOL

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 226, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60

tunaorlater

Admiral
Boat Make
40' Northern bay
Don't turn this into some gay ass conversation please! The normal 42 is 15ft wide no? This is a new version? Those are very good numbers for a 42x17.

FPTMarineDiesel

Commodore
This is one of my top choices for a next boat. All I need is conformation of having a spot to put it in the harbor...... money:D and sell a boat. Thats not that much holding me back,,, It just took 25 years to move up in the harbor from 35ft to 38 ft.

Also if you are gathering info to post.. can you find out how slow the boat is at idle speed. I fish trawls and it doesn't work if the boat goes 7 kts at a idle. I can't run well anymore.. I pretty much have walk speed.
Trolling valves work wonders for fast idle speeds.

FPTMarineDiesel

Commodore
Under 1 gal per nautical mile, I meant NM, I was thinking knot so I put KM, good catch(getting old myself). Looks like 750 mhp which is metric HP which is about 760.5 us HP.
Correction, BHP is less than MHP so about 740 Bhp @ 2400 rpm, but I can tell you that I have dyno sheets on this engine and it made 760 Bhp at 2400 rpm and with the 650 Mhp calibration it made 660 Bhp @ 2400 rpm.

lobstercatcher

Admiral
Trolling valves work wonders for fast idle speeds.

I will never own a boat with a trolling valve, I have to depend on my boat to earn a living with a intension of having no breakdowns for the obvious reason. I just remember too many boats for sale with the note: trolling valve is broken. Its about putting money in my pocket. I don't make enough to work in down time and expense of fixing trolling valves. They break more than anything on a boat. It doesnt seem practical to me:confused:

I guess I'll not consider one of those engines.

FPTMarineDiesel

Commodore
I will never own a boat with a trolling valve, I have to depend on my boat to earn a living with a intension of having no breakdowns for the obvious reason. I just remember too many boats for sale with the note: trolling valve is broken. Its about putting money in my pocket. I don't make enough to work in down time and expense of fixing trolling valves. They break more than anything on a boat. It doesnt seem practical to me:confused:

I guess I'll not consider one of those engines.
Wow, I am really not sure how to respond? I don't believe that you can blame hull speed on an engine, but if you are making that choice based off of my comment that trolling valves are good for commercial fisherman that require slow speed operation than I am sorry that it put you there! I have many commercial draggers of various sizes that utilize trolling valves and won't go without them, especially when they need less than 2-3 knots of speed at idle, as it is very difficult to get a hull to go that slow with any engine as it stands alone.

Again, sorry for pushing you over that edge, but you can't blame it on the engine.

Peter

lobstercatcher

Admiral
Wow, I am really not sure how to respond? I don't believe that you can blame hull speed on an engine, but if you are making that choice based off of my comment that trolling valves are good for commercial fisherman that require slow speed operation than I am sorry that it put you there! I have many commercial draggers of various sizes that utilize trolling valves and won't go without them, especially when they need less than 2-3 knots of speed at idle, as it is very difficult to get a hull to go that slow with any engine as it stands alone.

Again, sorry for pushing you over that edge, but you can't blame it on the engine.

Peter

Well, if you/ someone , put a engine in a boat that can't go slow enough to maneuver at slow speeds, I would call it the engines fault not the hulls fault. I'm not sure which draggers you are talking about. I guess I can honestly say.. I don't pay that much attention to how draggers are rigged.. only lobsterboats and these pleasure boats seam very similar. All I do know is , every time I hear trolling valve it is nothing but trouble in a unreasonable amount of low hours. Yea if you had to fix a trolling valve every 15,000 to 20,000 hrs I'd consider one. So, you are saying this boat is rigged with a trolling valve? Should I conclude you won't be giving out slow speed numbers? I seen stuff starting to go wrong on trollingvalves with less than 1000, hours. that's pleasure boaters hrs. They might squeak in ten years with no problems. every 1000 hrs breakdown would put me out of business. Just to let you know.. there are people out there that have different ideas on what a boat should do.. if you want to sell engines to people who have been around and have seen what really works in a practical way.. I'd answer simple questions.
Selling the dream to go fast has consequences that nobody ever wants to talk about. And yes, I do understand that money is no object for some people and they only put 500 hrs a year on their boat so speed and the expense of it means nothing to them. The very thing they disregard could be the same thing that put someone like me out of business. That's why somebody like me has to ask the simple questions . If I can't get a answer, I can't afford to chance their product or hull or etc etc.

Its not pushing me over a edge. Its just asking a practical question on what would work for me in a practical way. If you want to eliminate that sort of a customer who wants a product to work correctly for them..be my guest.

Top Bottom