For the Calvin Beal junkies

FPTMarineDiesel

Captain
To all that love Calvin Beal hulls, I just finished the final sea trial today for a new boat that was launched in Tenants Harbor. Here is a picture and some specs from sea trial and from a few days of haul.

38' Calvin Beal-weight unkown
FPT Cursor 13 rated at 750 Mhp @ 2400 rpm
ZF 360A 2.63:1 ratio - not really the best ratio for this boat, should be 2.19:1 but the boat may be fished for scallops or shrimp at slow speed in the future.
Michigan wheel - 34" x 42"
Top speed is 27 knots at 80% load
Cruise speed is 21 knots at 2000 rpm with 22 gph fuel consumption.

Sea Smoke cruise.jpg

FPTMarineDiesel

Captain
Ummm.... 38 feet 27 knots !!!!!

NOTHING SLOW ABOUT THAT GEAR LOL LOL LOL .....

Nice looking boat !!! :D:D:D
Thanks Mojo! Actually the 38' Calvin is just shy of 39', I believe it is 38' 9", so it is a big 38'. I think if he had a gear that would allow for a more precise wheel we could possibly achieve 30 knots, especially since he is so under loaded right now. He also had this huge shaft zinc on the shaft right in front of the prop, so the water is getting all churned up before entry as well.

He also explained to me that in the 2.5 days of fishing with it so far that he has burned 180 gallons going 30 miles off shore to fish his gear. He owned a 36' Calvin before that had a 375 Deere and he would burn 150 gallons to do the same work. However, now it is obvious he has a much larger boat, with twice the horsepower and he is cruising at 19 knots instead of 16 knots to do the same work. Needless to say, he likes it!

This young guy and his father finished it together. Did a good job, it is a work boat.

Thanks.

FPTMarineDiesel

Captain
calvin said its best to run 2.5 gears on his boats
Hello Wesmac,

I think for engines that make power at higher rated speeds (2800 rpm or higher) this would be very true. But with this kind of power at the given speed here (750 hp @ 2400 rpm) of this engine I think that a 2.19:1 would have been a better fit for the fact that the diameter of wheel is limited to 34". I have heard you can put 36" under this boat but tip clearance becomes a potential issue.

Anyhow, Calvin surely knows more about his hulls then I ever will so I only have the sea trial data here to go by. I don't think that a propeller expert for these types of hulls would say that a 34"x42" wheel is a really efficient prop. The only way to get this closer to square is to reduce the gear ratio, at least that is what my experience tells me. Surely I am not an expert though on this hull or the propeller tuning.

Thanks.

traditions

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 Holland
Go to SW's site and look at the launched 38's.27 to 29 is what they all seem to do with 660 cats,525 deeres. It almost seems like that is the speed of that hull.Most of them have 2 1/2 to 1 gears

FPTMarineDiesel

Captain
Go to SW's site and look at the launched 38's.27 to 29 is what they all seem to do with 660 cats,525 deeres. It almost seems like that is the speed of that hull.Most of them have 2 1/2 to 1 gears
Yes, you could be correct, could be the limiting speed where it takes a large increase of power to step over, but I think next hull i will see if the gear ratio makes a change in the speed limit. Stewart was also saying that the thought the lower ratio of even 1.75:1 would be better but that is a little more risky to me for a commercial vessel, if it was purely recreational, no problem but commercial I don't feel comfortable going less than 2.19:1.

Thanks

swboatworks

Lieutenant
Thank you Peter for posting info on the newest 38 launch. They did a great job finishing that boat. I was happy with the speed, that engine makes nice power for this boat and affordable. As far as the ratio,The 1.75 is too small for that application but your right the 2.19 or even the 2.03 would have taken her to 30kts (34.5MPH) That is fast for a 38 foot boat with a single engine.
I would say taking into the consideration what one would use this boat for and the weight of this boat a 600-650hp engine would be the tipping point for a 2.5-1 ratio. Of coarse if you have a heavy boat loaded all the time you would want a bigger gear (2.5) We have these boats with 500 hp and a 2.5 -1 gear and it is a real good match. (23kts) nice work package. Anyway, Good job guys!
Keep checking the website, we have another 38 sportfish ready to launch!!! Gotta get back at it, Stewart

FPTMarineDiesel

Captain
Thank you Peter for posting info on the newest 38 launch. They did a great job finishing that boat. I was happy with the speed, that engine makes nice power for this boat and affordable. As far as the ratio,The 1.75 is too small for that application but your right the 2.19 or even the 2.03 would have taken her to 30kts (34.5MPH) That is fast for a 38 foot boat with a single engine.
I would say taking into the consideration what one would use this boat for and the weight of this boat a 600-650hp engine would be the tipping point for a 2.5-1 ratio. Of coarse if you have a heavy boat loaded all the time you would want a bigger gear (2.5) We have these boats with 500 hp and a 2.5 -1 gear and it is a real good match. (23kts) nice work package. Anyway, Good job guys!
Keep checking the website, we have another 38 sportfish ready to launch!!! Gotta get back at it, Stewart
Hello Stewart, thank you for chiming in here, greatly appreciated. I will do this for each and every new boat build and or interesting repower for sure. Great working with the product as usual Stewart.

Peter

Blitzen

Admiral
Boat Make
Flowers Boat Works 46 hull #1, Flowers Boat Works 36 hull #1, Wayne Beal 28 Hull #1, Repco 30 1968,
Those are some good numbers with that power package, I bet it would get to 30kts if it had some trim tabs to bring that bow down a tad and the stern up.

CaptDave

Captain
Boat Make
31' Eastern w/John Deere 6076 AFM30
I love these boats and congratulations on a nice build and power package. Looking forward to seeing the pictures of Stew's latest 38' when she comes out of the shop screaming right along. These hulls are getting more and more popular with their speed and the way they can carry a large deckload.

Dave

FPTMarineDiesel

Captain
Hello Blitzen,

It does have trim tabs but that didn't change speed any, however it does change the ride. The speed would only come by getting the prop efficiency up and it is really difficult to do when this over square. It also doesn't help that there is a huge shaft zinc in front of the wheel water entry. The best bet in the future would be to change the gear ratio to a 2.19:1 I think, or like Stewart said, 2.03:1 for pleasure with 825 Mhp in front of it.

traditions

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 Holland
By the time he has 20 bushel of bait aboard and his lobster tanks are full he may be closer to RPM.Boats only get heavier after sea trial,your better to have them running a little free.When I sold my boat I had for 10 years I took 3 truck loads of misc.stuff off the boat.

FPTMarineDiesel

Captain
New 44' Calvin Beal just launched in Friendship ME. FV Overkill

Hello all,

Here is a recent vessel launch of a 44' Calvin Beal, hull provided by SW Boatworks, hull finished in Friendship by Simmons Boatworks (Gilbert Simmons). Owner is Jimmy Wotton.

Specs:

Displacement - 34-35,000 lbs loaded
Speed empty - 24 knots
Speed loaded - 22 knots
Cruise speed - 17 knots @ 19 gph loaded.
Engine - Deutz 2015 V8 680 Bhp @ 2100 rpm MCD rating.
Gear - ZF 360A 2.63:1 ratio
Wheel - 36" x 44" on a 3 inch shaft, Michigan Bronze

Fantastic performance out of this hull at this displacement. Very nicely finished off work boat. Thanks to all!

WOT Overkill resize.jpg

Last edited:

Cfood

Lieutenant
Whats the chaffing material below the hauling station? Can't tell if its King Starboard or maybe a grey bedliner coating

Latest Posts

Top Bottom