For the Calvin Beal junkies

FPTMarineDiesel

Captain
What about the 13 liter series 60 rated at 820? shes already there no?
But, the 60 Series Marine engine has been a very respectable engine and if you own one you should not be ashamed! It could have been higher in horsepower but it needed some major work to the fuel injection system and air handling. They are a little bit on the loud side (Detroit/MTU did not focus a lot of attn. on NVH). But overall a reliable engine. I don't see it moving into Tier 3 without a major group of changes. They could do it with the current on-highway fuel injection system and base engine changes that have been made but I have not heard that MTU will be certifying this engine for Tier 3. I have in fact heard that this is the last year you can purchase it and for those that have had any major engine issues, the parts situation has been frustrating for them. FWIW

Raider Ronnie

Vice Admiral
Lite User
Website
www.bostonharborcharters.com
Boat Make
33 Flowers.
Last edited:

Old Mud

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Don
Boat Make
Ho Made
Last edited:

FPTMarineDiesel

Captain
New 38' Calvin Beal w/ FPT C90 550 Launched in Bass Harbor ME

Just wanted to put up another successful new 38' Calvin Beal build with FPT C90 620 rated at 550 Mhp @ 2530 rpm.

Specs:

38' Calvin Beal - SW Boatworks (Stewart Workman)
Owner - Matt Davis
Boat Name is F/V "Lady Lauren"
FPT engine dealer - James Rich Boatyard (Jamie Thurlow) Bass Harbor ME.
Finished by Mike Light - Light Fiberglass of Corea Maine
Engine - FPT C90 rated at 550 Mhp @ 2530 rpm
Gear - Twin Disc 2.5:1 w/ live PTO
Wheel - 32" x 34" w/ slight cup Nautilus (I think)
Speed:
Cruise - 2250 rpm = 21.5 knots
WOT - 2530 rpm = 23 knots

Very nice boat, Matt was happy with how smooth the ride was and the performance of the engine, he felt like the engine wasn't even working hard to push the boat was his statement. He liked the fact that he can cruise 19 knots burning around 17.5 gph in a big boat. We all agree that with some lifting rails to make use of the spray that this boat could be a 24+ knot boat and would improve hull efficiency greatly.

Thank you Jamie Thurlow and Matt Davis for your business!

Lady Lauren 38' CB w- FPT C90.jpg

FPTMarineDiesel

Captain
Peter- Great pictures of a nice boat. At 23 knots wide open, what was the load% and fuel burn? Glad to see the FPT's performing good.
Hello Powder, the engine was 100% loaded and the fuel consumption was 26-27 gph at 23 knots.

The boat isn't really lifting quite right without the lifting rails, it is throwing a lot of water, if some rails are put on, it will lift the hull and create a lot less drag and the load and fuel consumption will come down at all speeds. Most of the 38' CB's I have ever seen have the lifting rails starting just above the water line from around the hauler area back about 12-14' along the hull.

At a good cruise speed he is 65% loaded at 20 knots and burning around 18-18.5 gph.

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
If I had that boat, I'd like to ride around a bit too. Awesome big boat. Wicked efficient. Big wheels move boats.

Dr Dude

Captain
Lite User
Boat Make
Fortier 33 , McKeeCraft 28

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
Hey Peter, what would it take to make a 50 foot Calvin scoot along at 18 to 20 knots? You done any big ones? I'm just dreaming, but curious. Maybe someday.

FPTMarineDiesel

Captain
Hey Peter, what would it take to make a 50 foot Calvin scoot along at 18 to 20 knots? You done any big ones? I'm just dreaming, but curious. Maybe someday.
I am sure that if built not too heavy that it could do that with 600 hp. The LWL will help with weight and the large wheel that you could swing, if properly placed CG and correct gear reduction and prop sizing, you could do it with 600hp. They are efficient hulls.

Top Bottom