? for the commercials

commtuna

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
2000 tons of steel
Not an asshole. Just an idiot...

Now if you have a no-show job and make enough to support yourself and your family with plenty of time to spare, then by all means go for it!

lobstercatcher

Rear Admiral
If one were to try to make money doing it, what would be the best way playing ball with the regs ? small boat single man crew ? keep the expenses down ? or just say F it and find another way
If you can't do it by following the regs then don't do it at all. keep your expences low.

Last edited:

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
You never mentioned what type of fishing you want to do?? Start looking at all the permits you'll need to get in NJ if thats where you want to fish out of. I fished there for a LOT of years before moving to AK.

myentourage

Commander
If you can't do it by following the regs then don't do it at all. keep your expences low.

So does this mean that the succesful commercial fishermen out there that have been making a living at this for some time and are still trying to make a living with all the new regulations are following all the regulations that are present.

JoFishes

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Seaway, Kinnamon, Carolina
So does this mean that the succesful commercial fishermen out there that have been making a living at this for some time and are still trying to make a living with all the new regulations are following all the regulations that are present.
I would say that's an accurate statement. I can only speak for me but I follow regs to the letter!
As far as a new guy trying to enter this business......they might be abled to buy their way in if they have deep pockets but.......
Established fishermen prefer to have familiar crews. That kinda leaves the newbies out as far as crew or apprentice opportunities. I have no less than 3 guys a day come up to my boat while I'm at the dock, lookin for work. It usually goes like this.....
"Down here, at times, we have captains crewing for captains which was the case this year during our tilefish season, and shark season last year. There were also some veteran crewmembers left on the dock because of this and some boats like mine, ( too small to fish the stream in Jan), tied to the dock."
Want to buy a "turnkey" fishin business, and live in Fl? Give me a call.....Jo

Bottom line......If I was not already in it as a boat owner/ permitholder, I would not (knowing what I know) get in now, NO WAY!!! FWIW Jo

Last edited:

myentourage

Commander
Just trying to get some input on the last posting not trying to be a wise guy. I just don't think the commercial fishing business has got bad enough to tell some newbie who wants to get started in some commercial fishery to move on. Besides ther really isn't a hell alot of work out there right now on land.

JoFishes

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Seaway, Kinnamon, Carolina
Just trying to get some input on the last posting not trying to be a wise guy. I just don't think the commercial fishing business has got bad enough to tell some newbie who wants to get started in some commercial fishery to move on. Besides ther really isn't a hell alot of work out there right now on land.
I was not trying to insinuate that you were trying to be a wise guy in any way. Just trying to tell it like it is.....aint a whole lot O' work on the water either.
Like I said...."I own a turnkey commercial fishing business in Fl. (boat/hard earned permits) and I am willing to entertain any and all offers!!!"
Bring it.......Jo:D

myentourage

Commander
I was not trying to insinuate that you were trying to be a wise guy in any way. Just trying to tell it like it is.....aint a whole lot O' work on the water either.
Like I said...."I own a turnkey commercial fishing business in Fl. (boat/hard earned permits) and I am willing to entertain any and all offers!!!"
Bring it.......Jo:D
No i know you were not, i just didn't want anyone else thinking i was. Good luck down there, still a little cold here got cabin fever.:D

Top Bottom