Fortier 26 - Pics of Summer Projects

sealaw

Lieutenant Commander
Greetings - been busy this summer fishing, and customizing the former "Four Bells" (soon to be renamed "Liberty Belle"). Here are a few pics of the projects we completed this summer - with the gracious help and advice of CaptPaul:

First - the transom-mounted cutting board:

DSCI0523.jpg

DSCI0524.jpg

This was cut and formed from a single sheet of 1/2" Star Board, 24" x 54". Mounted into aft rod holders using 2" PVC pipe.

Next, a gunnel-mounted sinker rack:

DSCI0540.jpg

Bought the entire setup from Graingers for under $100. Mounted via SHORT s.s. screws.

Finally - the double anchor tree & pulley setup:

1017131803a.jpg

1017131802.jpg

1017131803.jpg

This project took us a while - as finding the right parts (pulleys) and getting the welding done was time-consuming and technical. However, once we had all the parts in one place, the install took one entire day. We will be adding an electric hauler plate over the winter - but for right now the pulley system and tree has already made easy work out of setting up two anchors for blackfish wrecks. The hauler will just make it easier for us old farts to pull the hooks without needing an oxygen tank at the end!

DSCI0523.jpg

DSCI0524.jpg

DSCI0540.jpg

1017131803a.jpg

1017131802.jpg

1017131803.jpg

LIFortier26

Ensign
Looks like some nice work that will make anchoring easier. What kind of hauler are you going to add ? I have a 26 Fortier and have been toying with the idea of adding a hauler or capstan on the gunnel just where the cockpit starts. The electra dyne seem a bit too large and the other option of a Maxwell capstan looks like a perfect fit but it's slow on the retrieve.

blackdiamond296

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Alan Johnson 28 w/ 260 Yanmar
Not sure how I missed this post the first time around! Very nice work!

Those two rod holders in the stern were installed for just that reason- makes for a great working station back there.

I wish I had similar project shots to share, but the most exciting things we've added so far are grab rails and cup holders!

Leprechaun

Commander
Boat Make
26' Fortier
Don't think you can see it but I have the base for the electradyne mounted on the deck behind the captain seat and when it not in use I store it in the fish box

Leprechaun.jpg

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
Looks like some nice work that will make anchoring easier. What kind of hauler are you going to add ? I have a 26 Fortier and have been toying with the idea of adding a hauler or capstan on the gunnel just where the cockpit starts. The electra dyne seem a bit too large and the other option of a Maxwell capstan looks like a perfect fit but it's slow on the retrieve.

Have you looked at a 10" Electra Dyne ??

sealaw

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks! We will be adding either an Electradyne or HydroSlave electric hauler over the winter - haven't decided the specifics yet - but we will be mounting the hauler on a hinged plate that will swing up and out into position and lock down to the gunnel. We only do heavy anchoring in the fall & winter so we want it to be out of the way for the rest of the season...

I will post some pics once we get going on the project - but that won't be until March!

sealaw

Lieutenant Commander
Not sure how I missed this post the first time around! Very nice work!

Those two rod holders in the stern were installed for just that reason- makes for a great working station back there.

I wish I had similar project shots to share, but the most exciting things we've added so far are grab rails and cup holders!

I had a feeling you guys had put those rod holders in with that intent - based on the fact that they were mounted perpendicular to the deck line...they worked out great!

Grab rails and cup holders - possibly the 2 most important things on a boat - with their purposes mysteriously intertwined... ;) :)

We are also thinking about moving the tackle locker/ helm stand to the port side, mounted sideways on sliding tracks to allow fore-to-aft movement so we can still open the motor box. It will balance out the slight stbd. list, and make room for the anchor boxes and hauler behind the helm seat.

Oh...and we WILL be putting the name on the transom. We took some good ribbing for not having the name on this season - from a buddy of yours we met off MTK fluke fishing - can't recall his name but he had a 30-something (?) Pursuit! - see pic.

DSCI0499.jpg

DSCI0499.jpg

Estimator

Commander
Boat Make
43 Torres
Nice pic

Sea law that is me and that was a day for the record books with some great fluking.
Your doing some great work on your boat. Happy Holidays
Anthony
Stefani Ann

Last edited:

sealaw

Lieutenant Commander
Sea law that is me and that was a day for the record books with some great fluking.
Your doing some great work on your boat. Happy Holidays
Anthony
Stefani Ann

Hey Anthony! Yes, that was truly an epic fluke day...thanks for sharing!

Sorry I couldn't remember your name - onset of senility I suppose :wink:

Thanks - Happy Holidays to you also...I'll be looking for you next year on the south side!

LIFortier26

Ensign
Sealaw, I really like the idea of a hinged hauler. Steveinak, I only looked at the 10 inch electradyne on the internet. I've seen then mounted in boats, but never paid close attention to them and the motor assembly.

Sealaw, I was thinking of mounting a Maxwell capstan on the gunnel right where the hardtop ends. I'm pretty much in the same boat as you (no pun intended lol) in the I anchor a lot in the spring and fall but during the summer I drift fish a lot.

Leprechaun

Commander
Boat Make
26' Fortier
Take a look at the davit that electro dyne sells with the hauler. Once the base and brace for the bracket are mounted it takes about 2 min to set up / break down. Then it can be stored. I ran battery guage wire to a quick connect that is used for an APC - UPS system to run the 12v. (think you can find the quick connects on ebay) I have used this setup on my Fortier for about 15 years.

sealaw ... not on Noreast

BOSboatman -- Marshfield

sealaw

Lieutenant Commander
Sealaw, I really like the idea of a hinged hauler.

It's only a concept right now...I've never seen it done, so as far as I know we are breaking new ground. Not sure if it will work...will keep you posted.

Sealaw, I was thinking of mounting a Maxwell capstan on the gunnel right where the hardtop ends. I'm pretty much in the same boat as you (no pun intended lol) in the I anchor a lot in the spring and fall but during the summer I drift fish a lot.

Just remember that a capstan requires two hands to operate, while a hauler plate is basically "hands free" once you have loaded the rode onto the plate. If you fish alone at all...the capstan may not be ideal for you. That is why we have decided to go with the hauler - we occasionally go "solo" and don't have a second set of hands to haul the line while we run up on the anchor...

sealaw

Lieutenant Commander
Hey Sealaw, any updates on your hauler install ? I'm getting ready to seriously start thinking about a dual anchor setup for my Fortier and getting ideas together.

Howdy LIF26 - yes the install is complete and works beautifully. I bought a used 10" Electradyne hauler and had a custom box welded for it, mounted on the wash rail just aft of the helm seat. The pulley system and anchor tree were fabricated and installed last year in anticipation of adding the hauler. I will post some pics and some tips in a week or so - quite busy moving right now but didn't want to leave you hanging!

LIFortier26

Ensign
Hey Sealaw, I saw from the pics of how beautiful a job you did on the anchor tree setup. I'm kinda torn between keeping my nice and fancy teak and polished stainless steel pulpit or going with something more utilitarian and practical like you have.

No rush on your part but I'd love to check out the hauler setup. BTW where do you practice....I'm in the same "trade" and maintain an office in Huntington...general practice.

sealaw

Lieutenant Commander
Hey Sealaw, I saw from the pics of how beautiful a job you did on the anchor tree setup. I'm kinda torn between keeping my nice and fancy teak and polished stainless steel pulpit or going with something more utilitarian and practical like you have.

No rush on your part but I'd love to check out the hauler setup. BTW where do you practice....I'm in the same "trade" and maintain an office in Huntington...general practice.

No reason to give up your teak-and-stainless pulpit...we didn't:

1017131803a.jpg

1017131803d.jpg

DSCI0567.jpg

Top Bottom