Lieutenant Commander
Forum Sponsor
Website
wheresjaytoday.com
First Name
Jay
Boat Make
Mako 20' - Suzuki 200
I will give you a call, Any info on Yanmar 4 lha stp? The lv 250 is more advanced in Electronics??Measurements are metric? Need to measure my space between Stringers,,,, Thank You
The 4LHA is no longer available (not compliant with EPA Tier III emissions) except as a like-for-like "replacement" engine (with EPA approval".

The 4LVs are electronically-controlled, common-rail engines / the state of the art in diesel technology.

Common-rails, in general, are more fuel efficient, quieter, smoother than their mechanical predecessors and are almost completely smoke free.

They do require a Yanmar Tool (computer) to talk to the electronics which some find not to their liking.

Happy to help in any way you need.

you can find detailed drawing and specifications here:

4LV Series - YANMAR Marine International

Diesel Jerry

Admiral
Lite User

BiminiRun

Lieutenant
So it has electronic brain , that operates the engine, how many of these motors are out running, I only had cummins in my sporty, years back, no issues , I would hate to break down, due to moisture issues, some much for a compact single diesel small boat,, I need to get some reviews of the engine being used with real time hours,,,, ???? At least I can buy oil and filter and change it , 30 miles out...I had oil changer on other boat, I would need it for next engine,,

Diesel Jerry

Admiral
Lite User

Diesel Jerry

Admiral
Lite User

bigjay

Lieutenant
Every car engine made today uses an ECU, marine engines are just catching up.
There is redundancy, safeties and built in power supplies for the ECU's.
reading the tech information and speaking to a knowledgeable marine professional like Jerry made the decision easy for me

BiminiRun

Lieutenant
Every car engine made today uses an ECU, marine engines are just catching up.
There is redundancy, safeties and built in power supplies for the ECU's.
reading the tech information and speaking to a knowledgeable marine professional like Jerry made the decision easy for me
Thank You. I will do some more research... Happy Holidays , Merry Christmas to all......

Diesel Jerry

Admiral
Lite User

Tunacious

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Blackman
I have a pair of TAMD 41P's (200 Hp) in my 28 Henriques. Toying with the idea of repowering when I sell the house and am considering these engines and the 275 Hp 4 cylinder John Deere engines. Would like something quieter and a little more speed.
Call Manny at the factory. What year is your Henriques? After about 1999, most were built with Yanmar 4LHA-DTE at 200 hp. An option was 4LHA-STP at 240 hp. I owned a 2003 with the 200 hp engines. I got an honest 22 knot cruise and 27 knot WOT. The Yanmars save about 500 pounds. In my opinion go Yanmar.

captjohn

Captain
Boat Make
Henriques
Call Manny at the factory. What year is your Henriques? After about 1999, most were built with Yanmar 4LHA-DTE at 200 hp. An option was 4LHA-STP at 240 hp. I owned a 2003 with the 200 hp engines. I got an honest 22 knot cruise and 27 knot WOT. The Yanmars save about 500 pounds. In my opinion go Yanmar.
I have the TAMD41P's, 200 HP, cruises 22 to 23 knots, good economy. I'm pretty happy with the Volvo's, but wouldn't mind more speed, and the Volvo's are LOUD. But I'm not going to get taken over the coals for anything I get. Their little engines, if they have a big engine price, I'll walk away.

Tunacious

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Blackman
The Yanmars in my 2003 were very quiet. 78 db at 3,000 rpm cruise.
The 41P is a good engine. My guess is a complete re-power with either engine would be a $60,000 job. You could sell your Volvo's for $25,000 as running take outs.
My guess is the hull is not designed for 30 knot speed.
I hit 27 knots at WOT and the bow pushed down a lot and I had to raise the trim tabs full up.

captjohn

Captain
Boat Make
Henriques
The Yanmars in my 2003 were very quiet. 78 db at 3,000 rpm cruise.
The 41P is a good engine. My guess is a complete re-power with either engine would be a $60,000 job. You could sell your Volvo's for $25,000 as running take outs.
My guess is the hull is not designed for 30 knot speed.
I hit 27 knots at WOT and the bow pushed down a lot and I had to raise the trim tabs full up.
Mine will hit 27 at WOT, haven't noticed any handling issues at that speed. Minimal use of the tabs is best with the hull. I see no reason she shouldn't be able to handle increased power, within reason. The keel is probably too small for the boat to climb up on.

Tunacious

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Blackman
One issue straight shaft boats have is that the shaft angle wants to push the bow down, the faster the boat goes. I think the Henriques will ride fine at 30 knots in flat seas. 30 knots into a head sea will get you air born and running down swell would be in jeopardy of broaching. Just my opinion. I suggest you call Manny at the plant. He will give you the right advice.

captjohn

Captain
Boat Make
Henriques
One issue straight shaft boats have is that the shaft angle wants to push the bow down, the faster the boat goes. I think the Henriques will ride fine at 30 knots in flat seas. 30 knots into a head sea will get you air born and running down swell would be in jeopardy of broaching. Just my opinion. I suggest you call Manny at the plant. He will give you the right advice.
Most of the boats I've been on that had broaching problems were either underpowered, had a high center of gravity or had keel issues. Or, "all of the above". Getting airborne with an inboard powered boat is more of an issue of excessive speed for the sea conditions.

Top Bottom