FPT Marine supplying CAT for Tier 3 with engines

FPTMarineDiesel

Captain
Hello all,

You have all been writing me a lot of great e-mails and I appreciate the questions. I have seen also a lot of other types of banter trying to downplay the FPT foot print and the technology development and technical achievements related to emissions, reliability and performance!

Here is a link to show you more of what I am telling you all here. FPT is supplying technical solutions not only for CAT/Perkins in the off-highway Teir 4 market but now we are starting for Tier 3 (2014) marine recreational business for them.

Welcome to the future of FPT!

http://www.cat.com/engines/marine - scroll down and look at the first new press release all.:D

tunamojo

Rear Admiral
Lite User
Website
Www.wickedweasel.com
Boat Make
Holland 32

plowin

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
33' flowers
Whoever said that marriage was bad!! This one seems perfect.

Blitzen

Admiral
Boat Make
Flowers Boat Works 46 hull #1, Flowers Boat Works 36 hull #1, Wayne Beal 28 Hull #1, Repco 30 1968,
Well there is my answer. I was wondering what Cat was going to do to fill the void in their engine line-up. It is very interesting and the Cat folks must have been very impressed with FPT engineering to go this route.
What a huge boost for FPT.

Thanks for the info Peter.

Frank Grimes

Rear Admiral
First Name
John
"According to the new agreement, combining the vast marine know-how of Caterpillar and the leading edge technology of FPT Industrial, thenew CatC8.7 and Cat C12.9, with a displacement of 8.7 and 12.9 liters respectively, will offer yacht manufacturers a broad array of horsepower ratings ranging from 650 to 1000 mhp."

Question---are these FPT engines rebadged as CATs, or are they new designs? I think the FPT 8.7 already puts out 650HP, but is the 12.9 the Cursor engine, further tuned to 1000HP from 825?

Last edited:

FPTMarineDiesel

Captain
"According to the new agreement, combining the vast marine know-how of Caterpillar and the leading edge technology of FPT Industrial, thenew CatC8.7 and Cat C12.9, with a displacement of 8.7 and 12.9 liters respectively, will offer yacht manufacturers a broad array of horsepower ratings ranging from 650 to 1000 mhp."

Question---are these FPT engines rebadged as CATs, or are they new designs? I think the FPT 8.7 already puts out 650HP, but is the 12.9 the Cursor engine, further tuned to 1000HP from 825?
They are our current platforms of base engine with some upgrades to mechanical hardware for air handling and for C.R. fuel system added to the C13. These engines are all FPT in design and development and will be badged CAT for CAT only. We will maintain our FPT exclusivity to sell commercial and pleasure. The C90 will not change mechanically, electronically or in fuel system but only air handling upgrades for increase in torque at low speed. The C13 will get all of the current Tier 4 hardware including C.R. fuel system and some internal combustion hard parts that were upgraded for Tier 4 emissions and power increase. Trust me, it is all FPT!

Peter

FPTMarineDiesel

Captain
Well there is my answer. I was wondering what Cat was going to do to fill the void in their engine line-up. It is very interesting and the Cat folks must have been very impressed with FPT engineering to go this route.
What a huge boost for FPT.

Thanks for the info Peter.
Hello Blitzen,

I don't know if you read some of my other posts, but this is a trend.. We already supply CAT with a 3.4 l engine for industrial. We supply Mitsubishi FUSO with an engine for on-highway here in N.A. and in Japan. The industry will consolidate more and more because of customers needs for higher power, lower fuel consumption and the regulations of government. FPT has those solutions while remaining very reliable in base engine design and very, very quiet.

Thanks for the comment.

Peter

Powderpro

Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil
I was just looking at the torque curve of the C90 A2 rated 550hp at 2,530rpms. Peak torque is 1587 ft/lbs, that's impressive. I'm thinking 550hp with ZF305A 2:1 reduction might be a nice little package for me ;).

FPTMarineDiesel

Captain
I was just looking at the torque curve of the C90 A2 rated 550hp at 2,530rpms. Peak torque is 1587 ft/lbs, that's impressive. I'm thinking 550hp with ZF305A 2:1 reduction might be a nice little package for me ;).
Perfect! I have one here in Maine in a 34' Wayne Beal and he likes it. 26 knots WOT and 22 knot cruise with a 2.179:1 305-3A @ 550 hp. It is in Stonington Deere Isle. I have a dealer that sold one down east that will launch this spring. Hinckley Yachts is very interested also. My e-mail for anyone that is looking for information or pricing can be had by supplying with your e-mail address via PM please. Or just call me my number is posted on here.

FPTMarineDiesel

Captain
Peter- Impressive news. Is the C90 650hp a 2,500rpm engine?
Yes, 650 @ 2530 rpm. This is the production engine that was used in Buzzi's boat that broke the CMD record for the race from New York to Bermuda this past fall. It was production engines in that boat that beat the record by 4.5 hours. This is Tier 2 EPA Rec. compliant.

Jhbw

Lieutenant
Hey peter. Im looking to get some info on the fpt 400 hp ( Pricing). Ive tried emailing you and nothing. Im looking for a spring project. Help

Powderpro

Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil
Are you sure you have the correct email address- Peter's email is [email protected] If you are interested in the N60 400 in the A1 rating of 400hp, you will be impressed with it's small footprint and high power output. I installed the A2 rated version which was 370hp, and it exceeded my expectations. Very impressive little motor.

Jhbw

Lieutenant
Powerpro. Thanks very much. I did not have the right e-mail address. Going to get to it now. Thanks

Top Bottom