FPT NEF 560 Cold high idle 2-7-13 Somewhere in Maine

FPTMarineDiesel

Captain
Hello all,

Here is the cold idle smoke of a NEF 560 with 545 hours of use from this past Tuna season after not having been started for 6 weeks and on the 7th of February where the ambient temperature was 4 degrees above. Engine started in 4 seconds. Also a view of the Standard Teleflex panel, don't mind the resolution of the camera used for the video.

FPTMarineDiesel

Captain
Hello all,

Here is the cold idle smoke of a NEF 560 with 545 hours of use from this past Tuna season after not having been started for 6 weeks and on the 7th of February where the ambient temperature was 4 degrees above. Engine started in 4 seconds. Also a view of the Standard Teleflex panel, don't mind the resolution of the camera used for the video.
Well apparently the video even zipped is too small but if anyone wants to see this from today, send me a quick e-mail. I will send it to you so you can see the panel display and here the engine for yourself and see how it operates on an extremely cold day. Intake temperature never got above 40F and the jacket water temperature after 1 hour of run time at 1600 rpm did not exceed 145F. COOOOOOLLLLLDDDD Day!

FPTMarineDiesel

Captain
2 7 13 NEF 560 cold idle 4 degrees ambient - YouTube

Here is the link to Youtube for those that did not get the attachment in e-mail.

Regards,

Peter
This customer did not use the FPT supplied wet elbow in case anyone noticed and he is driving an AC compressor from the two groove pulley and mounted it on the front pad of the cylinder head in the same way an industrial application or truck application would. This was with 8 " exhaust also and a garden hose for water flow. Engine jacket water temp was 72 degrees at this time and the intake temperature was 4 C mainly due to the water flow through the cooler, the water was actually 45 F but the air inlet temperature was actually reducing the temperature by a delta of 5 C, really, really cold.

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
How big is the boat?

The vdrive installation in this boat ??

Now THAT's the way to install an engine in a DE boat when you can't fit it under the deck.

A nice high engine box you can walk around. Use as a seat or store stuff on it.

With a vdrive you get a CENTER companionway.

And LOOK at the engine access on ALL 4 SIDES!!!!

How long is the boat ?

plowin

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
33' flowers
Bill V-drives certainly have there place and without question make working on an engine a bit easier. But take it from someone who has owned "downeast" boats, they are not the answer to everything and do not belong in all of them. Run the "mandatory" V-drive theory by someone who has had a problem with a stuffing box or dripless shaft seal or a mechanic who has had to access the coupling for alignment or shaft replacement. I believe there opinion would be different. The boat is a 38' I believe.

I am of the opinion that weight disribution and balance is the key to achieving the "perfect" downeast ride. Too much weight or not enough weight in any one spot will cause problems in any boat. But, you can almost never go wrong with getting the weight down low in the hull. Just my "downeast" hull opinion others may disagree and thats what makes this site cool.

Last edited:

FPTMarineDiesel

Captain
Similar but no, this was a one off, all of Mark's generally are one off for his customers. This boat is 38' 8" long, the beam is just under 14' if I remember well. Same setup at the keel. Fast boat, very comfortable into the sea! Mark is a fantastic guy too, really down to earth, real Mainer, straight forward but very honest and likeable. You couldn't do an engine box like this with every engine, but Mark has repowered this boat with the owner a couple of times now and he says that he cannot believe how quiet the engine is and the performance and fuel economy is almost unbelievable for him and the owner. I cannot and will not say who the owner is as I have too much respect for the person's need to remain anonymous, so please don't ask. This is likely why his boat is also not shown here.

Frank Grimes

Rear Admiral
First Name
John
Bill V-drives certainly have there place and without question make working on an engine a bit easier. But take it from someone who has owned "downeast" boats, they are not the answer to everything and do not belong in all of them. Run the "mandatory" V-drive theory by someone who has had a problem with a stuffing box or dripless shaft seal or a mechanic who has had to access the coupling for alignment or shaft replacement. I believe there opinion would be different. The boat is a 38' I believe.

I am of the opinion that weight disribution and balance is the key to achieving the "perfect" downeast ride. Too much weight or not enough weight in any one spot will cause problems in any boat. But, you can almost never go wrong with getting the weight down low in the hull. Just my "downeast" hull opinion others may disagree and thats what makes this site cool.

If it's the boat I think it is, there is a very good reason why it's set up with a V-drive, for weight distribution reasons.

FPTMarineDiesel

Captain
Twin NEF 560's in 37' Strike Yacht with Tuna Tower video

Hello all,

Here are two links to two video's from Miami show where I took Hinckley for a ride with two of our NEF 560's as power. The boat does 32 knots cruise at 2600 rpm and 37 knots at 3000 rpm. Enjoy. There is one video of the Teleflex display for everyone to see also.

MVI 5923 - YouTube
MVI 5926 - YouTube

Top Bottom