FPT NEF 6.7s raw water pump impeller change

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
Peter,

could you explain as best you can the "service steps" in replacing the impeller in the OEM Jabsco pump on the NEF 6.7s ?

I'm curious if the pump has to be removed to change the impeller or can you change the impeller with the pump on the engine?

Also, is the impeller a "key way" design or "spline" design?

Is there a tool or bolt to back the impeller out as available on the Sherwoods?

Lastly, has anyone on this forum who owns a NEF 5.9 or 6.7 changed out an impeller or pump ??

Curious, Bill D

FPTMarineDiesel

Captain
Peter,

could you explain as best you can the "service steps" in replacing the impeller in the OEM Jabsco pump on the NEF 6.7s ?

I'm curious if the pump has to be removed to change the impeller or can you change the impeller with the pump on the engine?

Also, is the impeller a "key way" design or "spline" design?

Is there a tool or bolt to back the impeller out as available on the Sherwoods?

Lastly, has anyone on this forum who owns a NEF 5.9 or 6.7 changed out an impeller or pump ??

Curious, Bill D
Hello Bill,

The pump does not have to be removed, however, two hoses and two bolts gets it off the engine and allows you to be able to work with it much more easily.

Splined shaft for the impeller.

Jabsco makes puller tools, but I have never used one, I always just pull it off the engine, put it into a vice and use two screw drivers to pry the old one out. Then I use some tie wraps (zip ties) to close the impellers and some anti-seize in the shaft splines and slide the new one in. A little glycol/antifreeze on the impeller for dry start up and re-install.

Regards,

Peter

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
Hello Bill,

The pump does not have to be removed, however, two hoses and two bolts gets it off the engine and allows you to be able to work with it much more easily.

Splined shaft for the impeller.

Jabsco makes puller tools, but I have never used one, I always just pull it off the engine, put it into a vice and use two screw drivers to pry the old one out. Then I use some tie wraps (zip ties) to close the impellers and some anti-seize in the shaft splines and slide the new one in. A little glycol/antifreeze on the impeller for dry start up and re-install.

Regards,

Peter

Thanks Peter

Top Bottom