FPT NEF 6.7s.......safety in numbers ????

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
Peter,

I'm curious, maybe others are too, on the approximate total number of FPT 6.7s in world wide service across ALL industries. Marine, industrial, agriculture, transportation etc. ?

Maybe you could list some of the companies using the 6.7s as a base diesel powerplant and how long?

Also, how many years have the FPT 6.7s been in production humming along in these industries?

I have reliable numbers on the Cummins numbers on 5.9s (5.9s are 3 million +- and still in production today) and 6.7s (been in the Dodge trucks for 3 + years now).

I'd be curious of how the FPT 6.7 numbers compare?

Curious,

Bill D

FPTMarineDiesel

Captain
Peter,

I'm curious, maybe others are too, on the approximate total number of FPT 6.7s in world wide service across ALL industries. Marine, industrial, agriculture, transportation etc. ?

Maybe you could list some of the companies using the 6.7s as a base diesel powerplant and how long?

Also, how many years have the FPT 6.7s been in production humming along in these industries?

I have reliable numbers on the Cummins numbers on 5.9s (5.9s are 3 million +- and still in production today) and 6.7s (been in the Dodge trucks for 3 + years now).

I'd be curious of how the FPT 6.7 numbers compare?

Curious,

Bill D
Hello Bill,

FPT has been implementing the 6.7L into applications longer than Cummins has theirs. For Industrial applications such as CNH (Case New Holland) IH, (International Harvester), New Holland, CASE all of which are FIAT Industrial brands and once were Cummins powered, these FPT engines have been in service now since 2005. Klaas, Generac, Vermeer etc., here in N.A. and abroad are newer accounts. We are into the 100's of thousands alone in just N.A.

For Marine specifically we are in the thousands now with the 5.9L and 6.7L and most of these (3/4) are 6.7L engines as we have been selling the 6.7L NEF since 2006. In fact we were selling Tier 2 compliant mechanical 6.7L NEF marine engines for quite some time in the U.S. and Canada.

Globally there are many different EPG suppliers such as Himoinsa, 2HE (owned by FIAT Industrial), many marine OEM's in Italy and Europe that use the NEF and there is IVECO truck which has been using the Tector (NEF Automotive engine) since 2003-4 as a 6.7L. FPT has a large quantity of these 6.7L engines in Europe, Asia, and Australia and at this point in time are also in the millions as well between on-highway and off-highway. To give you an exact number I do not know, however I know that FPT and their affiliates have been using the 6.7L platfrom for many more years then Cummins.

In the U.S. we have been taking more and more business away from Cummins that they once owned or had partnerships with, some of that is due to FIAT owning the brands that were once affiliated, but in other cases it is not.

Thanks,

Peter

BillD

Admiral
Boat Make
Peter,

You mention there are 1,000s of 6.7s in marine service over the past 6 or 7 years.

Has there been anything "glaring" with the marine package that resulted in a recall or required re-engineering of the base engine or components?

Can you list any "updates" over the 6-7 years to the engine. CPL (common parts list)

Can you list any significant engineering changes FPT has made to the 6.7 over that time ?

What are the "weak points", if any, of the FPT NEF 6.7 engine?

Thanks, Bill D

Base engine changes? Electronic control? "hang ons" ? such as inter coolers, heat exchangers,

FPTMarineDiesel

Captain
Peter,

You mention there are 1,000s of 6.7s in marine service over the past 6 or 7 years.

Has there been anything "glaring" with the marine package that resulted in a recall or required re-engineering of the base engine or components?

Can you list any "updates" over the 6-7 years to the engine. CPL (common parts list)

Can you list any significant engineering changes FPT has made to the 6.7 over that time ?

What are the "weak points", if any, of the FPT NEF 6.7 engine?

Thanks, Bill D

Base engine changes? Electronic control? "hang ons" ? such as inter coolers, heat exchangers,
Hello Bill,

While this will sound very much like a salesman, I can honestly say that there have been no mechanical or hardware upgrades to the NEF 450 product that you have been inquiring about! We have had not a single major mechanical failure of any kind. The weakness with this product is the same as any common rail product and that is fuel quality and maintenance! The Intercooler and CAC are very reliable, as I have stated before on this forum, we have not sold a singel CAC or HXC from spare parts in 6-7 years of service for spare parts replacement!

If there is a weakness, it has not been found in any of the applications installed into yet for a mechanical weakness.

Early on there were some issues with harnesses for the accessories up to the panel and converter boxes, but FPT has made multiple iterations of introduction of upgraded components for that issue and has changed suppliers as well and over the past 3 years we have seen no failure mode since. So the quality concern was addressed early on.

Fear not my friends!

Now, moving into the NEF 570, there is a significant list of hardware changes and product improvement for the horsepower increase. This list is extensive and I can tell you is very well engineered and proven in thousands of hours of development and durabability/reliability testing activities through Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Pilot and Pre-production phases of development of this family. It includes, larger capacity oil cooler, higher volume oil pump, tuned targeting of piston cooling through the nozzles, full frame block stiffener plate, larger capacity CAC, improved casting of the exhaust manifold, etc., etc. But this was necessary to provide the same reliability and overall performance that we had achieved with the NEF 450 with the new NEF 570.

Regards,

Peter

BillD

Admiral
Boat Make
Hello Bill,

While this will sound very much like a salesman, I can honestly say that there have been no mechanical or hardware upgrades to the NEF 450 product that you have been inquiring about! We have had not a single major mechanical failure of any kind. The weakness with this product is the same as any common rail product and that is fuel quality and maintenance! The Intercooler and CAC are very reliable, as I have stated before on this forum, we have not sold a singel CAC or HXC from spare parts in 6-7 years of service for spare parts replacement!

If there is a weakness, it has not been found in any of the applications installed into yet for a mechanical weakness.

Early on there were some issues with harnesses for the accessories up to the panel and converter boxes, but FPT has made multiple iterations of introduction of upgraded components for that issue and has changed suppliers as well and over the past 3 years we have seen no failure mode since. So the quality concern was addressed early on.

Fear not my friends!

Now, moving into the NEF 570, there is a significant list of hardware changes and product improvement for the horsepower increase. This list is extensive and I can tell you is very well engineered and proven in thousands of hours of development and durabability/reliability testing activities through Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Pilot and Pre-production phases of development of this family. It includes, larger capacity oil cooler, higher volume oil pump, tuned targeting of piston cooling through the nozzles, full frame block stiffener plate, larger capacity CAC, improved casting of the exhaust manifold, etc., etc. But this was necessary to provide the same reliability and overall performance that we had achieved with the NEF 450 with the new NEF 570.

Regards,

Peter

OK, thanks.

Duke

Commander
Lite User
Boat Make
Dyer 29
Top Bottom