"Fuel efficiency or Bust", literally!

ErnieKim

Ensign
Hi y'all
I'm new here. I've done a lot of research and thanks to a good responder on another forum, I've decided on a downeaster.
I was on a fishing trip in the Gulf Stream off NC and a storm was passing between us and shore. we were catching fish like crazy, watching the storm in the distance when the captain got a call; the captains other boat started taking on water. We gave them our spare bilge pump and that couldn't keep ahead of the rising water. The captain said that we either head back together, since he knew that the captain of his other boat didn't know the pass well enough to do it on his own, or we take the other passengers on our boat and let the new captain try it on his own. Naturally we said "let's head back". He promised us a free repeat trip to all of his hot spots.
About an hour later, we are in 17 foot seas and everyone but me and the captain are down in the hold puking. I'm no tough guy, I just have a dead inner ear.
The captain is showing me how to take the waves, that were luckily quite regular, when he gets to the crest of one and says "oh crap". I'm thinking how could it get worse, when he tells me we're on course to meet with a freighter. He tried speeding up, slowing down, but had to stay on his course or swamp. We could almost smell their borscht cooking when we came to the top of a wave and missed the stern of the Russian freighter.
Getting through the rest of the "graveyard of the Atlantic" and managing the pass is a story for another day since my finger is getting tired on this iPad.
Needless to say, we made it back alive because we were on a Downeaster.
All of this said, I respect a good solid boat. However, I won't be able to use it if I can't afford the gas.

What would be a good brand of downeaster for the choppy waters of Boca Grand and maybe twenty miles out into the Gulf of Mexico?

How fast do you want to run? 20
What gear and other weight will you have aboard ? Two passengers, no gear to speak of
Will you be running inshore or offshore and in what conditions? Won't go into weather on purpose but "stuff happens"
What do you require in terms of head sea and down sea handling and performance? Again, not on purpose but I like my life
What range do you require? 60 miles round trip.
How do you define "easily driven"? I like a little challenge, I helped out the captain on my "death trip"

I'm thinking that under 30 ft is plenty of room for my wife and I.

There are so many Downeaster brands and I can't seem to find a comprehensive list of specifications. Even if I could, I would rather go with a recommendation from Y'all.

Once again, fuel efficiency is key, on a fixed income there's not a lot of wiggle room.

Thanks so much in advance.

Ernie

Climbmadone

Lieutenant
Boat Make
21' wood kayak.
I may need one of these as well. I hope someone comes back with "Holland 32", that is what I want.

duxbait

Captain
I may need one of these as well. I hope someone comes back with "Holland 32", that is what I want.

Funny, that is exactly what came to mind. You said under 30 but I would take a hard look at the Holland. Sounds perfect for you. It is a fast efficient hull and doesn't sound like you need a big beamy boat to handle lots of gear and weight. On the smaller size maybe a 28 beal.

FPTMarineDiesel

Captain
There are a number of very efficient hulls out there, but the Holland 32', Crowley 33', Wayne Beal 28', Calvin Beal 30' all have very unique features and benefits. Anyone of these hulls is very efficient and if built correctly, very comfortable. The best thing you could do is get on here and ask who might have a hull you are interested in and see if you can hitch a ride. There are many good people on here that love their equipment and would love to take you out in their boats and show them off for you! It is the best way to figure out what you want for a hull.

But if you can't get on a boat the above mentioned are all very efficient hulls and all are sea worthy boats.

ErnieKim

Ensign
You guys are great.

Can you give an idea of what mileage that I might expect for these boats? There aren't a lot of these boats around for sale though.

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
Northern Bay 28 just went from Searsport to Winter Harbor (round about 60ish miles) for 27 gallons while at speed the entire way (since he was following me that speed was 25 mph (22 knots)) through all the slop, storm rollers and all other conditions we get here on a daily basis. All with 218 of the finest horsepower Sisu has ever made. I think that is pretty good.

I'll find out what she burnt from Winter Harbor to Pemaquid when she gets fuel up later today. We went through Merchant Row after sliding outside and taking Casco passage if you want to plot the course and figure the mileage. Had to slow down through the Fox Isand Throughfare, they didn't appreciate my full speed blast through last time.
Jerks.

ErnieKim

Ensign
So FPT, can you guess at the gas mileage on the boats you suggested?

Thanks.

cb34

Rear Admiral
Fuel

My 30 South Shore with 355 Cummins gets 2nm per gal at cruise 18-22kts;)

Top Bottom