Fuel Flow Issues

dogtagger

Lieutenant
Guys, I have a question that I'm hoping has an easy solution. My boat has 2 fuel tanks located aft of the engine, port and starboard. When I run with the in-line valves open I end up with more fuel in the starboard side than the port. I've pumped fuel back into the port side by closing the return to the starboard and feed from the port, but thats a pain. What's weird is that I had both sides evened out, and after I ran the boat for a few hours the starboard had more fuel than I started with and the port was down a couple of inches. WTF...

Any ideas? I know I can just run off one side at a time, but ideally would prefer to leave the valves open and have even fuel flow.

tomy

Commander
Boat Make
36 Wayne Beal
had same issue last yr. check for ANTHING restricting air vents.

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
Path of least resistance. Chances are it won't do what you want it to with all your valves open. One pathway is going to be easier for the fuel to flow through than the other.

dogtagger

Lieutenant
I kind of figured something like that, had the same issue with my sisu outboard, but that doesn't have any fuel return, which eliminates that variable. Will check the vents to see if there are any problems there.

Last edited:

MDI45

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
45MDI /28WB
Plain and simple......it wont work.....with all the valves open......IMAO...i would not run with both open.....if you have a problem its nice to just switch tanks and not have to narrow down which one is bad.....(chafed hose,algee,air).....you know what i mean.....good luck

Brooksie

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bruno-Stillman 35
I had an issue like that with my boat in FL. You may have the same problem. The boat has a list to starboard because of removal of a generator from port side. So when the crossover valve is opened, the fuel flows to the lower, starboard, tank making the list even worse. If you were to install a check valve at each tank so fuel can only flow out through that line, towards the engine; you may solve your problem. This is provided that you remember to always draw and return to/from the same tank.

My tanks draw from the bottom but top or bottom should make no difference.. I like to draw from the bottom because it gets the water out of the tanks and into the filters where it can be seen / drained plus usable fuel capacity is increased.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom