Fuel Flow Meter

Discussion in 'Marine Electrical / Electronics' started by Henry, Jan 18, 2019.

1. Henry

Henry Senior Member

None!
    Boat Make:
    Duffy 31
    I am looking for a fuel flow system that would be comprable to a FloScan. Does the Maretron Fuel Flow Monitor system with the DSM 410 display and two fuel flow sensors provide information like the FloScan system did? Does anyone have any first hand experience with this system?
    Thanks

2. Wharf Rat

Wharf Rat Captain

Radar Tech
    Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    OPB
    Yep, the Maretron system is pretty awesome. The sensors are a hell of a lot easier to install than the Floscan Flometer Erector Sets, especially dealing with the return on a diesel. Basically for each engine, you would need a single FFM100, a pair of sensors (need to know the total GPH on your engines fuel pump, almost always in the service manuals somewhere) and a DSM display. If you don't have an existing NMEA2000 network or if you want to keep this one isolated, you'll just need some NMEA2000 components (tee & Micro-C cable for the FFM, tee/cable for the DSM, power insertion tee + two terminators.) I'd also recommend dropping an inexpensive NMEA2000 GPS sensors onto the network to allow for GPM, etc. You can literally drop the GPS sensor under the helm for this purpose, it'll get a fix through fiberglass without any issues and it's a simple solution.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
    Kenneth likes this.
  3. Henry

Henry Senior Member

None!
    Boat Make:
    Duffy 31
    Thanks, Wharf Rat. That is all good news. I am glad to hear that there is a good alternative to FloScan. This installation is in conjunction with a chart plotter/radar/gps replacement so everything will be NEMA 2000 compatible including the engine.
    Henry

4. Wharf Rat

Wharf Rat Captain

Radar Tech
    Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    OPB
    Actually the Maretron sensor is even more accurate than the FloScan's were, as they apply temperature compensation into account on the return, which is a big factor in diesel due to the density changes that affect the displacement volume. Really cool stuff. Here's a great article from Panbo that goes into detail on the installation he did on his own Duffy.
    Maretron FFM100 fuel flow monitor test (part 1), as good as it gets? - Panbo
    and here's another article on the follow up - Appreciating fuel management, wanting more - Panbo

Which MFD are you going with and what motor do you have?

Another simple add on is the Maretron TLA tank level adapters and sensors, which gives you time/distance to empty as well as another reading for fuel. There's a few different options, like adapting an existing analog WEMA sender to NMEA2000, or if you want redundancy, they have dedicated monitors like the TLM. Here's a link that explains it in more detail, always something you can add down the road.

How do I choose the right Maretron tank monitoring product for my particular application?

5. Henry

Henry Senior Member

None!
    Boat Make:
    Duffy 31
    Thanks! Great information which is really helpful.
    I am using the DSM 410 display which will provide more information than I can ever use! My engins is a 2007 Yanmar 6LY3-STP. We will be including a tank level monitor as well.