Fuel price check ?

Downrigga

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
36' NB
Many places are still working on last years inventory. Prices were much lower last year. Right now the market is climbing so depending on what your inventory costs are you will see big swings in retail prices after a spike like this. No is robbing anyone. Unfortunately we have an administration that is going to allow OPEC to dictate the price of oil thru production quotas. We are an energy independant country and I guess we are going to let them push us around. Makes no sense.

Blitzen

Admiral
Boat Make
Flowers Boat Works 46 hull #1, Flowers Boat Works 36 hull #1, Wayne Beal 28 Hull #1, Repco 30 1968,
When I left Maine in 2008 with my new 36 it was $5.05 a gallon, today it is less than that and I hope it stays there.

mako69

Lieutenant
When I left Maine in 2008 with my new 36 it was $5.05 a gallon, today it is less than that and I hope it stays there.
2008... yes, gas and fuel were through the roof... Obama was President

plowin

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
33' flowers
Many places are still working on last years inventory. Prices were much lower last year. Right now the market is climbing so depending on what your inventory costs are you will see big swings in retail prices after a spike like this. No is robbing anyone. Unfortunately we have an administration that is going to allow OPEC to dictate the price of oil thru production quotas. We are an energy independant country and I guess we are going to let them push us around. Makes no sense.

I agree with all of this with the exception of the nobody is robbing anyone part. There are plenty of no good price gouging bastards in the fuel department.

Downrigga

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
36' NB
I agree with all of this with the exception of the nobody is robbing anyone part. There are plenty of no good price gouging bastards in the fuel department.
I have grown up in this business. That has not been my experience. Unless someone has intimate knowledge of someones financial status, and position in the market place, I dont know how one can arrive at that conclusion. All it takes is a bad hedge in a volital market and your retail price can be upside down before you know it. That situcation will dictate a retail price that is out of line in a falling market. Often fuel is purchased a year or two in advance. When you have big price swings you will see prices over a wide range depending on everyones position. Does not mean someone is price gouging.

Genius

Admiral
First Name
David
Boat Make
32 Morse Cove
I have grown up in this business. That has not been my experience. Unless someone has intimate knowledge of someones financial status, and position in the market place, I dont know how one can arrive at that conclusion. All it takes is a bad hedge in a volital market and your retail price can be upside down before you know it. That situcation will dictate a retail price that is out of line in a falling market. Often fuel is purchased a year or two in advance. When you have big price swings you will see prices over a wide range depending on everyones position. Does not mean someone is price gouging.
retail prices are slow to react to lower supply cost. Retail prices are very quickly changed to reflect anticipated or actual increased supply costs. Profit margins IMO are never really reduced to make up for increase cost of supply. Look at the cost of my local marina compared to others, it's the highest. I cannot believe that there is something special about this place that makes the fuel so much more expensive except for greed.

THat's just my outside take on something I really don't know anything about except as a consumer.

plowin

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
33' flowers

I have no intimate knowledge of how the fuel industry operates I have never been in it but have always needed it. I know that the places I deal with work off the same margin whether the price is up or down. They actually like seeing the price low, its a volume business when your margin is the same regardless.

I got gas last night before my sons football game. Regular was 2.45. Its always 25-50 cents cheaper there than the next lowest place around. He must buy his from a secret spot, hes been there for a long time. Mobil stations are the worst, always crazy high.

I have a serious question for you. Why is diesel which is less refined than gasoline more expensive a gallon often times?

captjohn

Captain
Boat Make
Henriques
It's $3.19 here in south Florida. BoatUS card gets you ten cents a gallon discount!

BOSBoatMan

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
36 Hatteras/13 Whaler/24 Sailfish
3.49 @ Harbor Fuels in East Boston for gas.

Shout out to the fuel attendant for NOT asking if I was a member of BoatUS to save me 10 cents/gallon

Downrigga

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
36' NB
I have no intimate knowledge of how the fuel industry operates I have never been in it but have always needed it. I know that the places I deal with work off the same margin whether the price is up or down. They actually like seeing the price low, its a volume business when your margin is the same regardless.

I got gas last night before my sons football game. Regular was 2.45. Its always 25-50 cents cheaper there than the next lowest place around. He must buy his from a secret spot, hes been there for a long time. Mobil stations are the worst, always crazy high.

I have a serious question for you. Why is diesel which is less refined than gasoline more expensive a gallon often times?
Considering there is less than a 10 cent gross margin on gasoline a 50 cent swing is rare unless he is working off a previous hedge as i noted above. No secret spot. Right now because we have had such an uptic in prices, its a perfect set up for just such a thing to occur. One guy working off product he bought last may and the neighbor working off yesterdays rack price. One of the biggest price swings in years. If your costs are 70 cents lower you might stay competitive and also gaining market share. Depending on what state you are in state diesel tax can vary. Federal tax is also higher for diesel than gas. While every station has gas not every station has diesel so some might exploit that. To maintain the proper cold weather properties of diesel is expensive as well. Often the best crude stocks are used to refine diesel fuel. The right facility can crack more barrells of gas at a given time. During the summer driving season refiners may concentrate on refining gas and there are more refineries that refine gas. Global demand for diesel is high.

Downrigga

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
36' NB

You didnt tell us who won the game !

Top Bottom