Fuel Tank Vents

tailhook

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31 JC
On my JC the fuel tanks vent into the bilge not outside the hull, what does everybody else have :confused:
All you can smell is diesel

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
After a bad experience with my last boat, I put my fuel vents on the interior side of my aft air intake. This way when the tanks are being filled I can watch the fill pipe and the vents.

Never had an issue with this, and if it was a gasoline vessel they would be on the outside. I like them being tucked under the sterndeck on the air box because it makes the exterior all that better, no fuel vents sticking out. Not even those flush ones, just nice and smooth no bumps at all.

I would suggest that you put an external tank vent somewhere, either into the cockpit or on the outside of your hull. Absolutely not under the deck.

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
My (gas) fuel vents are on the transom of my boat. Hoses run all the way back under the gunwales to thru hull fittings. Came this way from the factory and I am not wild about the hoses back there but they are not in any danger and it keeps the vent fittings off the side of the boat.

Keelboater

Admiral
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman
I agree with Team 1. At least get the vent into the cockpit if it's actually in the bilge right now. Locate it where you can keep an eye on it, and also not create problems if it decides to puke.

tailhook

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31 JC
thanks guys, while playing "bilge rat" later today I will take a look to see where I can put them. when the motor is out I will address this. (toolate I sent you a pm)

Raider Ronnie

Vice Admiral
Lite User
Website
www.bostonharborcharters.com
Boat Make
33 Flowers.

tomy

Commander
Boat Make
36 Wayne Beal
Any fuel (esp gas ) is a no no in my book.

hmscapecod

Lieutenant
What about running another connection from tank to tank? If fuel valve gets kicked.. The fuel will over flow to the other tank before going up the vents to the deck. Anyone try this or have thoughts? May even be able to T in a connection between the two vents. Any thoughts on this?

Blitzen

Admiral
Boat Make
Flowers Boat Works 46 hull #1, Flowers Boat Works 36 hull #1, Wayne Beal 28 Hull #1, Repco 30 1968,
FYI and a source of information:

Diesel Fuel Systems: The USCG does not regulate diesel fuel systems for recreational boats. However, ABYC does have a standard for Diesel Fuel Systems in ABYC H-33. Contact ABYC (American Boat and Yacht Council (ABYC): Welcome) for a current copy.

tunaorlater

Admiral
Boat Make
40' Northern bay
Not so sure I would want my fuel vents inside cockpit or inside my boat.
A few years back I was out.
Both tanks full or near full.
Had someone pull up a hatch to open a seacock for toilet intake.
While reaching down his arm accidentally moved one my 2 fuel valves.
Ended up sucking from one tank, returning to the other.
Noticed a slick of oil/fuel on the water. Return was going back to full tank over filling and out vent which are on either side, mid ship of my boat.
Fortunately noticed before too much spilled out.
I've never let anyone near that hatch since.

If your tanks were vented into the cockpit u would have seen the fuel right away. Lil soap and water and back in business. I vent everything (not gas) but waiste into the cockpit. Put one of those oil rags under the vent line when filling and no oil goes into the water. Plus it's alot less likely to get salt water into the tanks.

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
I vented mine thru the hull with a drip loop. Never had any issues with water or smell. You do need to be careful as not to spill any fuel into the water.

March photo 06 043.jpg

Keelboater

Admiral
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman
I agree with Team 1. At least get the vent into the cockpit if it's actually in the bilge right now. Locate it where you can keep an eye on it, and also not create problems if it decides to puke.

To clarify, I do know people with cockpit vents in diesel boats that have not had any issues, but for gas there is only one method of venting...outside of the hull. With a nice big drip loop as CaptLarry mentioned, I have never had a water issue, even with ethanol. This loop runs right up to just below the rub rail on my Bertram. The white hose is just for abrasion protection. This obviously works good for diesel too. The boat would have to sink before salt water intruded the tank.

Fuel Vent.jpg

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
To clarify, I do know people with cockpit vents in diesel boats that have not had any issues, but for gas there is only one method of venting...outside of the hull. With a nice big drip loop as CaptLarry mentioned, I have never had a water issue, even with ethanol. This loop runs right up to just below the rub rail on my Bertram. The white hose is just for abrasion protection. This obviously works good for diesel too. The boat would have to sink before salt water intruded the tank.
Nice photo that is a very professional vent system.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom