Furuno DFF3d keel mount transducer 38NB

pointblank1

Lieutenant
Boat Make
38 Northern Bay
Good work. However I am sure that the 3D action would be better if the transducer followed the keel, as in a little up angle. Not sure if that would affect down angle function very much. My guess if the entire transducer was angled 5 degrees up, all functions would work well.
Well.... I also am pretty sure of the "'3D action" and even more so sure of how MY keel (in the transducer location) locates to the (measured) angle of relation to the waterline as far as degrees of approach on my boat.

It may be different on your boat

xbskt

Vice Admiral
First Name
Jeff
Boat Make
28 Crowley Beal
Well.... I also am pretty sure of the "'3D action" and even more so sure of how MY keel (in the transducer location) locates to the (measured) angle of relation to the waterline as far as degrees of approach on my boat.

It may be different on your boat
What did Chris say? He knows best. Can't see that being a problem as the boat in the water is in a state of pitch and roll generally anyway.
Thanks for sharing. I really want to do this on my Northern Bay.
Thick bottom for sure on that rig.
I count 26 layers!

Panhandler80

Commander
How I did mine just before losing boat in hurricane Michael two years ago. Actually went with the transom mount ducer, and notched it into my bolt on skeg. What you and I did really are the only options for the DFF3D and the 60 degree port and starboard angle. Anywhere else on the boat would have keel interference, propwash, or would be too far forward.

I also installed the SC-30 satellite compass, which was pretty slick. This allowed me to mark fish in DFF3D history mode (where your soundings paint a picture) at 60 degrees to port and starboard AND with that bad ass heading sensor I could actually MOB / save coordinates of fish off to my right and left on the TZT14 touch screen. Pretty darn slick. Similar to marking a spot directly below the boat... that's pretty easy because the machine knows where it ones on the globe when the spot was seen. Reaching out to the Left and Right to do that means that the boat must know how she's oriented in order to store coordinates off the either side.

Oh, it also allows for heave compensation, which is pretty cool. It wasn't perfect, but it did take a lot of the wave action out of your bottom reading. The DFF3D sounder will never paint a picture like some of the inshore / freshwater super high frequency side scans will do. In fact, it's pretty basic... but because of the low frequency, you can map the bottom out to like 500' of water... maybe even more. I don't remember. Then I also put in a new traditional 50 / 200 ducer. She was a fish killing machine!

Yours wound up a lot more professional looking that mine, btw!

dff3d.jpg dff3d2.jpg dff3d3.jpg dff3d4.jpg dff3d5.jpg dff3d7.jpg

Last edited:

pointblank1

Lieutenant
Boat Make
38 Northern Bay
Yes Thanks Pan80. I like your outside the box thinking. I too did the SCX 20. Just need the wind to quit blowing here so I can see it out on the reef.

Top Bottom