Furuno GP-1871F/1971F Reviews?

Discussion in 'Marine Electrical / Electronics' started by WoundUpMarine, Dec 29, 2018.

1. WoundUpMarine

WoundUpMarine Captain

1st Engineer, Seadrill Americas
    Boat Make:
    34 Libby, 14 Holland
    Anyone buy one of these, or know of anyone using them? They are compatible with the new wireless radar scanner, and I believe they can be used with raster charts. Seems like a nice, compact, powerful unit.

2. crabz

crabz Senior Member

commercial fisherman
    Boat Make:
    All American
    I was hoping for some input also.
    Thinking of upgrading my GP 1870F,
    I like some of the new features on the 1971 bottom discrimination.

3. WoundUpMarine

WoundUpMarine Captain

Boat Make:
    34 Libby, 14 Holland
    I Like that they are compatible with the wireless radar scanner. Was curious if anyone knew if you control a furuno autopilot through it, or if you had to have a separate autopilot control head.

4. crabz

crabz Senior Member

commercial fisherman
    Boat Make:
    All American
    Cut & paste :
    Via the CAN bus network interface, The NAVpilot 300 and NAVpilot 711C can be connected to the GP1871F and GP1971F and controlled directly from the Chart Plotter.

From here, under FEATURES:

GP1971F

5. WoundUpMarine

WoundUpMarine Captain

Boat Make:
    34 Libby, 14 Holland
    Yup, I did see that, I just wondered if the CanBus needed to see an actual autopilot control head or if I could buy a compass/processor/rudder angle indicator and call it good.

I'm really looking to use it more as a radar/sounder/autopilot. I use an Ipad as my chartplotter, can't beat the user interface.

Probably a question for Chris(wharfrat) to be honest.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
  6. sockeye

sockeye Senior Member

I used a GP1971F briefly this past season intending for it to be a replacement for an FCV585 and an alternative to the FCV588. My goal was for a Rezboost fish finder with wide-aspect screen and backup chart plotting capability. I connected it to an existing B164 transducer. The dealer informed me that it would work with “Rezboost”. Having recently considered a TZT2-15, I have since learned (I think, hard to know what to believe with Furuno at this point) that there are both “standard” and “enhanced” Rezboost as well as bottom discrimination and Accufish. The dealers, tech support, and forum moderators were either vague or just wrong when describing how the B164 would work with “Rezboost”. The blanket claim that “…Rezboost…achieves CHIRP-like performance from your conventional 600w or 1kW narrow bandwidth transducers…” is misleading. Again, according to the manual for the TZT2 anyway, there are two types of Rezboost, not all narrow bandwidth transducers are listed as compatible, and it’s not clear which Rezboost (standard or enhanced) will be functional with the transducers they do list. Transducer selection may require guidance from someone with first hand knowledge gained from trial and error.

I spent less time looking at the CMap 4D charts. I compared them to Navionics Platinum + on a Raymarine and Garmin BlueCharts. I found the CMap vector charts erroneous at the couple of spots I tried the GP1971F. The raster charts seemed correct and matched the Navionics and Garmin. When I tried zooming in with raster mode it automatically switched back to vector. I have since been told that there is an auto setting that needed to be disabled for this not to happen. I would consider it very important to disable that auto feature if CMap vector charts prove to be as erroneous as I observed everywhere you navigate.

Having gotten the same run-around regarding what the available chart options for the TZT2 would look like as I have with determining if I could take advantage of “Rezboost” with my B164, I won’t be installing a Furuno. The Furuno dealer referred me to Furuno tech support, Furuno tech support referred me to Navionics, Navionics referred me to Furuno tech support…I’m not spending thousands of dollars for a new MFD unsure what the charts are going to look like and even more on a new transducer while still not sure if it would take advantage of this seemingly elusive “Enhanced” Rezboost.

Below are some screen shots. I got a picture with the B164 but I considered the image quality from my Garmin/B60 and DSM30/B60 units to be at least as good. The chart screen shots were taken at the same spot within a few minutes of each other and show CMap vector, CMap raster, and Navionics Platinum + on Raymarine. Good luck.

Attached Files: