Furuno GP1971F and wireless radar/ Simrad GO9 and 4G?

Discussion in 'Marine Electrical / Electronics' started by winterking, Sep 30, 2018.

1. winterking

winterking Captain

Any thoughts on these units? I know its apples to donkey comparison, just wondering if anyone can shed a little light. Radar primarily used for locating fishing gear spread out over 2-3 miles at night, bouys have radar reflectors. I like furuno reputation. Simrad 4G solid state radar seems pretty nifty though. Any thoughts?
    Thanks! T View attachment 63746

Attached Files:

• 645.JPG
      645.JPG
      File size:
      2.9 MB
      Views:
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
  2. winterking

winterking Captain

Soooo, any thoughts on these units? I've had my mind made up several ttimes , Lot's of good reviews on the simrad unit, nothing on the furuno GP1971F. Although some bad experiences for a few with simrad, I don't want to spend 2-3k and in two or three years be told they cant fix my equipment, makes me lean towards the furuno. would appreciate any thoughts you might have.

3. RCLS2016

RCLS2016 Member

Maintenance Tech
    Boat Make:
    Lookin For One
    Winterking,
    I have had some problems with some of the new Simrad stuff in the last few years and heard other stories. I'm also not impressed with their support. (Now they are owned by B&G) While I have no experience with that exact Radar. Furuno is pretty much bullet proof, and other then to tweak or tune... I can think of very few times I got a call on any Furuno system. I just took a whole Navnet 1 Series system off of a customers boat that I installed around 12 years ago and it is still in impeccable shape. He just wanted newer displays. I actually tried to talk him out of taking the old stuff off, because it still worked so good. Anyway IMO you won't regret the Furuno. Hope this helps.

winterking likes this.
  4. winterking

winterking Captain

Yes it does help. Thanks Rcl, seems that furuno is the direction I’m going to take. Just buy it once and hopefully it lasts a long time.

5. steveinak

steveinak Captain

Boat Make:
    H&H / Pen Bay
    buy the furuno stuff at least they will fix it if it ever breaks.

winterking likes this.
  6. WoundUpMarine

WoundUpMarine Captain

1st Engineer, Seadrill Americas
    Boat Make:
    34 Libby, 14 Holland
    My only issue with Simrad so far, is as they update their offerings they seem to almost totally stop supporting some of the older stuff, not sure wire about their main plotters, but some of the auxiliary stuff like remotes become near impossible to get, and aren't supported if broken. If you have the means, I'd go with Furuno.

winterking likes this.
  7. winterking

winterking Captain

Thanks guys, I talked to Chris about it and as has been said Furuno will fix their equipment long after the purchase, it's considerably more money but I think over the long term it pays off. The machine I mentioned furuno gp 1971f is priced similarly to 9" simrad GO series but the downside is it only takes furunos wireless radar and is limited in some other areas as well. Finally decided on the 12"tzt 2 and the hard wired Doppler radar, I just have to do it like Johnny Cash,
    One piece at a time! Chris is amazing with this stuff, he's encyclopedic in his knowledge of the machines and what they do and don't do, I had to have a couple of conversations with him to take it all in.

Old Mud and steveinak like this.